Topic

Customized Granite Gear Virga 26 – A Highly Underrated Pack

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Customized Granite Gear Virga 26 – A Highly Underrated Pack

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    John Brewer
    BPL Member

@jbrewer

Locale: California Coast

So I recently purchased a Granite Gear Virga 26 and decided to make a few changes…and found that this is one very underrated pack. I bought the pack used and the lower compression straps on the side and the ice axe loops were already removed. I then removed the bladder hanger, and all compression straps that run along the middle pocket leaving a little webbing to sew a loop and run shockcord through to replace the heavier straps. So the only compression that was left was the upper sides. I turned the pack into a roll top side compression combo by simply removing the buckles on one side and running the webbing through the existing loops and up toward the top. This compresses both the top and sides at the same time. I think it looks better too. I had to add a small ladder buckle on the female side for adjustment. I actually just used the male portion of the buckle and removed the top portion. I also removed the hipbelt as I found it was not needed, but I left the buckles attached to add back on if needed in the future. I trimmed up the load lifter straps but left the load lifters. I might remove these later but playing around I like the feel of the load fitting more to your back. I could trim up a few more of the straps but I think it would make little difference at this point. So all in all the weight went from 16 oz to 13.7 oz. The pack is way bigger than 26 liters, as I don’t believe Granite Gear adds the extension collar or any of the large outside pockets. I’m thinking actually more like 36 literish. The pack also has shoulder storage pouches, although these are quite small. I really like the looks of the pack in the black color. This easily fits my gear and I could probably fit 4 days food in here along with it. I wouldn’t do a thru hike with it, but for what I need it will work perfect without spending the big bucks on other packs. These are 120 new, and I picked mine up used for half that. All in all I think it is a great pack!

John Brewer
    BPL Member

@jbrewer

Here is a stock photo below.

Michael Schlesselmann
    BPL Member

@mschless

Locale: Southern Los Padres National Forest

How tall are you? I have been toying with the idea of picking one of these up, especially using sale codes or something, but worry that the torso will be too short if using the webbing belt. I’m 6’1 with a 21 inch torso. I know the specs say that it will work, but wanted to hear some real world experience. Nice mods btw!

John Brewer
    BPL Member

@jbrewer

I’m 5’11” with a 21″ torso as well and it fits me great.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!