Topic

Closed end tarps currently on the market?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Closed end tarps currently on the market?

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    S Long
    BPL Member

@izeloz

Locale: Wasatch

I am looking for a shaped tarp with a closed foot end. I’m just looking for options. The MLD Patrol is discontinued. The only other one I know of is the Slingfin Splitwing. Any others of similar design?

talagnu
    BPL Member

@talagnu

yama cirriform

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

Specifically the Cirriform Min.

I’m drawing a blank on the name but there’s a British maker that has something similar to a Patrol but with zips.

J-L
    BPL Member

@johnnyh88

The Trekkertent Stealth 1/1.5/2

Jon Solomon
    BPL Member

@areality

Locale: Lyon/Taipei

It’s not exactly what you want but you could have a look at the Liteway Simplex shelters, which are in silpoly and currently on sale 20% off. Made in Ukraine, the everyday prices are already quite reasonable. I have an inner tent from them that is high quality. The Simplex tarp isn’t closed at the foot end, but the inner tent has waterproof panels at the foot and head end.

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

Reminds me of the Golite Lair 1.

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

The Trekkertent Stealth 1/1.5/2

That’s the one I couldn’t remember.

talagnu
    BPL Member

@talagnu

the regular cirriform has a closed end, not just specific to the min version

Russ W
    BPL Member

@gatome83

Locale: Southeastern US

Oware USA, http://www.bivysack.com used to have something called a catbird tarp, which was similar to the MLD Patrol Shelter. Not currently on the website but you might contact them and inquire… you never know.

Chris R
    BPL Member

@bothwell-voyageur

It’s pretty easy to pull a flat 6 by 9 or similar sized tarp into a closed end. Peg the end to the ground. and using a panel pull quarter of the way in from the end and a line up and over a shortened trekking pole will give you a closed in A frame. I’ve seen photos posted on here by folk who’ve done it. I usually go the other way and rig a side entry.

Monte Masterson
    BPL Member

@septimius

Locale: Southern Indiana

This might be what Chris is describing. Below is a mod I did to a 56′ X 104″ tarp some years back. I just added a panel tieout 2 feet from one end with a bonded 4″ square reinforcement on one side (same material) and X-Pac on the other (under side) to prevent tearing. Quick and easy to set up and gives full weather protection to the foot end. I can ride out a heavy blowing rain with this pitch, especially if the foot end is aimed toward the prevailing wind and with something tied over the head end such a a rain kilt, rain jacket, ground sheet or mini tarp. Not any space to move around with a tarp this narrow, however I do stay dry. The bad thing about the patrol type tarp is that you are stuck with the one pitch and you lose all the versatility you get with a flat tarp.

Sewing a triangle onto each end of an A frame tarp to make a patrol type tarp is an easy project

S Long
    BPL Member

@izeloz

Locale: Wasatch

I like the looks of the Cirriform Mini. I might pick one up to try out. I also need to get a flat tarp and practice my pitches. Thanks for the input, everyone!

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

If you’re getting a flat tarp, it’s fairly easy to rig a rain/wind jacket to ‘close in’ one end on an a-frame pitch, fwiw.

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

the regular cirriform has a closed end, not just specific to the min version

100% correct. I was advocating for the version I like best and not doing it very clearly.

Michael Schlesselmann
    BPL Member

@mschless

Locale: Southern Los Padres National Forest

Aricxi tarp from aliexpress is ~$30 and has a closed foot end. Basically a ripoff of the MLD Patrol though. Get the 20D version, not the “updated” 15D version.

talagnu
    BPL Member

@talagnu

there’s also the slingfin splitwing

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

Will, the original post says

The only other one I know of is the Slingfin Splitwing. Any others of similar design?

Bruce Tolley
    BPL Member

@btolley

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

A footnote to Monte’s post above: You could add a RayWay batwing to created a closed end to a open cat tarp.

https://www.rayjardine.com/ray-way/Tarp-Kit/BatWing/index.htm#TopOfPage

And as Chris points out, if you can loosen your requirement for a catenary tarp, you can also pitch a square flat tarp or rectangular flat tarp with a closed end. There have been threads here at BPL and lots of photos if you google square tarp pitches.  It takes a few minutes more to pitch the tarp once you reach the campsite but you can adjust the pitch for weather and the campsite: A frame, wedge, flying diamond, etc etc.

Jeff McWilliams
    BPL Member

@jjmcwill

Locale: Midwest

Years ago Borah Gear offered the “BorahGami”, which was a silnylon rectangular tarp with a triangular door  sewn to each end. I have one.   As a minimalist tarp, the Yama Cirriform has a certain appeal, particularly due to the zipper which allows side entry.  I’m just not a fan of front entry shelters. Blame my bad back if you will.

Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

Locale: Santa Barbara

They won’t sell you the batwing unless you also buy the tarp kit. I know because they would not sell me the batwing kit.

You can find after-market tarp doors like this at various hammock shops: https://dutchwaregear.com/product/2qzq-grizz-beak/

Bruce Tolley
    BPL Member

@btolley

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

@ Diane. Good to know.

Brad P
    Spectator

@brawndo

Those doors are interesting, but it appears they would only work with a continuous ridgeline tied to trees. That makes sense since they’re intended for hammock use, but probably not for every ground tarp use.

Monte Masterson
    BPL Member

@septimius

Locale: Southern Indiana

Here are front doors with zippered closure I added to a small MYOG cat cut tarp awhile back and I designed the 2 pieces so they could be separate and independent of each other. That way the tarp can retain some of its versatile flat tarp characteristics (3rd pic below). It’s a cat cut so the concept isn’t as beneficial as it would be with a flat tarp, but you get the idea. If an amateur like me can do a mod like this practically anyone with a sewing machine can pull it off.

And here’s with the doors open.

You can see how the cat cut doesn’t lend itself to other pitches near as well as a flat tarp, but I do still have options other than an A frame.

Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

Locale: Santa Barbara

Those grizz beak things will work without a ridgeline attached to trees. They’ll work with trekking poles and lines attached to the end. And there are others out there. https://www.warbonnetoutdoors.com/product/tarp-door-kit/

John Kays
    BPL Member

@johnkays

Locale: Southern California

You noted that the MLD Patrol is the model for what you are looking for but it is discontinued. However another thread awhile back contained a post that customers may still buy one as a special order. You might check it if you haven’t already done so.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 27 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!