Topic

Camping Tarp Suggestions

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Camping Tarp Suggestions

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Lennox N
    BPL Member

@blue-grendelgmail-com

I am curious about what size and shape of tarp is recommended for setting up over a campsite cooking area. I am not really looking for a tarp to sleep under, but rather one to rig up to keep 1 to 3 hikers out of the sun or rain while cooking or otherwise sitting around camp. Is 8’x8′ enough or would 10×10 or 12×12, or other dimensions be better? I am not an ultralight thru-hiker, but rather a lightweight backpacker. Most of my trips are 2-5 nights out. My pack weight is down from 45+ lbs to about 25, with consumables.

I know I will want the lightest tarp I can afford, and even though I am looking for a tarp to sit under, I would likely try setting it up to sleep under sometime. But that should not be the consideration here. The tarp entries I have found in the forums are all about tarps to sleep under. Any suggestions about size and shape for a “sit around camp” tarp?

Thanks, Lenny

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

8 x 10 may be easiest to find.

Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

Locale: Santa Barbara

Equinox makes an affordable silnylon 8×10 tarp. I have one and have used it to sleep under. But it is a decent size for a general sitting around area. You could also just get a utility tarp (usually blue) like you’d use to cover your truck to take to the dumb. It’s not that heavy and I used to use one of those to sleep under long before I ever had any real ultralight camping gear. Kept me dry in a thunderstorm in Lassen.

Edward John M
    BPL Member

@moondog55

Think about shaped tarps like the original Moss Tentwing. I have a little experience with tarps when camping with my kids and if you can get tall enough to stand under and not just sit it’s a big bonus. 8*10 is a good medium size for 2 to 3 people. Don’t forget that you will need more than a few extra pegs and if there are few trees in the right places then a composite pole would be the way to go to save weight. If weight isn’t a major issue then I’d always go bigger. Check out the big box camping stores as stuff often goes on sale. I got my current LW shaped tarp for $12- and simply tossed the included steel pole and pegs in recycling, it’s about 8*10 and I’ve never bothered to weigh it

Kevin Babione
    BPL Member

@kbabione

Locale: Pennsylvania

When I returned to backpacking after a 25-year hiatus I carried a lot of luxury and “just in case” items.  I was expecting to, and did, carry 45+ pounds.  I’ve since “seen the light”.

One of the things I carried was an 8×10′ sil-nylon tarp and it came in quite handy on a couple of trips where it rained (poured) after we got into camp and while we were enjoying dinner.  As you can see from this photo, we used our trekking poles for two of the corners and were able to tie the other two to nearby trees:

One thing to think about as you set up your tarp is runoff.  In the photo above we structured it to run into the fire ring (which we weren’t going to be using).

We also set it up, on the same trip, as a large porch for our tent…

Shortly after I took this photo it started to dump on us and we sat under the tarp to eat and hang out before retiring to the tent for the night.  In this case we structured it so the runoff went to the back of the tent and then downhill away from us.

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

You don’t mention where you backpack. If it’s in the trees, you might look at hammock tarps. They are extremely easy to rig between trees. Also you might be interested in trying a hammock at some point and if so, you will already have an appropriate tarp for doing so.

Bruce Tolley
    BPL Member

@btolley

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

@ Lennox

On the cottage industry side, Oware and MLD and many others make flat silnylon tarps.

For that many people, I think 10X10 is probably the way to go. If you plan on using it for personal use as a shelter, 8X10 or 9×10 is more than big enough.

If you are budget limited, the Equinox brand is probably the way to go. They are widely available at REI, Campmor and other outlets. But there is one caveat.  The Equinox tarps have grommets, not webbing tie outs so there is the risk of stress on the grommet tearing the tarp.

The next step up from a commercial manufacturer would be a tarp from Rab (formerly Integral Designs).

There was a whole thread on here BPL in the Philmont section about dining tarps (aka flys )for the Philmont backpacking treks you should read. Many contributers found tarps on Amazon and elsewhere they were very happy with. You can use the BPL search engine to find the thread.

Jacob Z
    Spectator

@jacobz1

I have a kammok kuhli UL11 ft x7.4ft 15 d rip stop sil /pu 10
    <p style=”text-align: center;”>to 14 oz depending on stakes .. good for two or 3 in good weather … prob 2 ppl if you are dealing with wind or driving rain … it’s an easy system Ridge line and Guyout points have connected line lock and cords … I carry it on trips for cooking / having some space at camp</p>
    during wet weather …. only Problem I have had is one of the ridge line line locks I was having a bit of trouble with it slipping think it’s just a faulty line lock not really sure but there’s enough room to where I hooked up a nite eyes  locking carabiner and those things are pretty solid and you could definitely use this as a solo shelter as well.  good luck to you Hope you find what you’re looking for I’ve only had this tarp out on two trips I found it very easy to set up with Trekking poles … buthave also just used trees in fair weather and it worked great  if you have some trees around you don’t need any poles …kammok  also sells  a cord pack witch if you find you need more

cordage its made to work with the whole system and you can really stretch out the guy out points or ridge line   ✌️

Josh J
    BPL Member

@uahiker

Kevin

So you still carry the extra tarp? At least when it rains?

Kevin Babione
    BPL Member

@kbabione

It’s funny – It wasn’t until I saw my own post that I realized this was a revived older thread!

I switched to hammocks about 10 years ago so I always have a tarp with me now.   Most of the other guys with whom I backpack sleep in tents, but my hammock tarp has come in very handy on a couple of trips when it’s raining.  I put up the tarp and everyone puts their packs under it and we’ve eaten under it while we’ve waited for the rain to slow down so my tenting friends can set up their shelters.  I can hang my hammock right before I go to sleep so it’s really useful.

My transition to hammocking was gradual, basically in this order:

1. Traditional backpacking tent with dedicated poles (Mountain Hardware PCT2)
    2. Lightweight tent using trekking poles (SMD Lunar Duo)
    3. Tarp – 8×10 Silnylon (the one in the photo above – a palace for one person)
    4. Poncho Tarp – SMD Gatewood Cape – When I took this and rain was forecast I also took a MLD Monk Tarp with me (5 ounces or so) to use as a porch
    5. Hammocks and lots of tarp options

I keep my tarp in the outside mesh pocket of my pack for easy access – I’ve also pulled it out during lunch breaks when it’s pouring because it’s so quick to put up and it’s just nicer to eat out of the rain.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

“It’s funny – It wasn’t until I saw my own post that I realized this was a revived older thread!”

I hate it when that happens

Especially when I’m about to post the same thing I already posted : )

Kevin Babione
    BPL Member

@kbabione

I hate it when that happens – Especially when I’m about to post the same thing I already posted : )

Amen Brother!

Terran Terran
    BPL Member

@terran

It wasn’t until I saw my own footprints that I knew I was lost.

jscott
    BPL Member

@book

Locale: Northern California

“I hate it when that happens – Especially when I’m about to post the same thing I already posted : )
    Amen Brother!”

nah, it makes me happy when I find I have some internal consistency. Writing the exact opposite  to what I posted some years ago would mean:

–Either I’ve learned something, but that’s doubtful;

–or my old self or my recent self have gone off the rails. Phew! same old consistent self.

Lennox N
    BPL Member

@blue-grendelgmail-com

I literally realized I was “bewildered” on trail once when I saw my own footprints. Disappointing.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

I’ve posted the opposite of what I posted before.

Hopefully before I hit the submit button

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!