Topic

Bearikade and Zpacks Arc Blast

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Bearikade and Zpacks Arc Blast

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Diane Pinkers
    BPL Member

@dipink

Locale: Western Washington

I thought I saw somewhere a thread where someone mentioned that the Bearikade bear cannisters would rub holes in the Dyneema composite fabric of the Arc Blast.  I’ve run a couple of searches, but I must not be using the right search terms.  I’ve just purchased a Bearikade Scout, and wondered about padding the edges.  I’m pretty sure I read that someone had made a Reflectix sheath for their Bearikade.  Do other users find that necessary?

Thanks

Bob Shuff
    BPL Member

@slbear

Locale: SoCal

Someone at the SoCal GGG dipped their Bearicade in a white coating, and said it kept the inside cooler.  I don’t recall if that “Padded” the edges.  Wizner or Nick or others I just met might remember better than me.

J R
    Spectator

@jringeorgia

I have a Bearikade Weekender and a 2014 Arc Blast (52L), and while I can get the Weekender to fit, it’s really tight, so I’m not sure about adding to the circumference with padding (and your Scout is the same diameter). I have not had problems with fabric abrasion from the bear can, but I push the bottom of the can below the frame’s middle crossbar, which is where I think friction has the biggest potential to be a problem if you rest the bottom of the bear can on top of the middle frame bar, with the pack fabric sandwiched in between the two.

Bob, interesting suggestion on insulating the canister. I have found that with the tight fit in the Arc Blast, the wall of the canister is flush against the pack fabric, so when the sun hits it the can absorbs a lot of heat (as someone who started a week-long trek with a bunch of dark chocolate bars lining the inside of his bear canister, guess how I know). My cook kit includes some pieces of reflectix that when on the move I now put between the canister and the pack fabric on the side against the pack front (where the sun can hit it, I don’t need to block the sun from the side that faces my back). The extra thickness of the reflectix makes for an extremely tight fit and represents extending the canister’s diameter on only one side of the canister, so to the OP if you wanted to pad the canister with reflectix all the way around I think it would add too much to the diameter you are trying to squeeze in there.

And again, this is with a 2014 52L model, I don’t know if the pack body’s diameter is the same on yours, if it’s a little wider then padding the canister might fit inside. If not, you could try making a tyvek sheath for the bear canister, that would put a layer between your bear can and your pack’s DCF that certainly would fit and would weigh almost nothing (but would provide little if any insulating value).

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

The relatively sharp edges of a Bearikade can wear through almost any pack material if you’re not careful. I have some holes in a X21 pack that were caused by the sharp edges of a Bearikade and sliding over granite talus.

Ralph Burgess
    BPL Member

@ralphbge

Fwiw, HMG packs carry a Bearikade (however tall) very nicely positioned vertically.   There’s room to insert something soft between the bearcan and the front surface of the pack.   This keeps it seated nicely against the struts, and it doesn’t rub on the material above the front pocket of the pack.

I don’t use a hydration bladder, that might complicate matters.

Diane Pinkers
    BPL Member

@dipink

I received the Bearikade while I was on trail. When I got back, I slid it into the spot where I had a BearVault 450 while on trail, and it had a little room. I like the idea of a Tyvek sleeve, that should be easy and light. Now I just have to remember to have a quarter with me on trail to open the thing.

Jim C
    BPL Member

@jimothy

Locale: Georgia, USA

Instead of a quarter, try using a washer on a string to open the Bearikade. It’s easier to carry, harder to lose.

And you’ll save a “hole” lot of weight!

Diane Pinkers
    BPL Member

@dipink

Hardy har har! Good idea, I can put it on the same lanyard I carry my SAK Classic and whistle on.

Ralph Burgess
    BPL Member

@ralphbge

Forget washers, here’s the UL option for opening the Bearikade.

U.S. Quarter:  24.3mm x 1.75mm,  weight 5.7g.
    Japan 1 yen:  20mm x 1.5mm,   weight 1g.

The 1 yen coin is made of Aluminum, 1/3 the density of the copper quarter.     It’s only slightly smaller, it opens the Bearikade fine.   It’s easy to drill a hole through the Aluminum,  I put a thin cord through and tie it to a zipper pull.

Unfortunately, widespread use of the 1 yen coin will increase the trade deficit with Japan.   But it’s a bargain, 1 yen is less than the cost of production.

M B
    BPL Member

@livingontheroad

Probably did.

I wore holes in my arc with weekender.

Repaired with cuben tape patches . Posted pics here once. 2014?

I went a little heavy on repair area for  future. My 16.7 oz arc bast is now 17.7.

Wrapping stuff around it would be a pain. I just figured id get another one day if needed.

Then joe ruined it. Weighs 22 oz, not custom sized anymore.

Actually, reflectix end caps sounds interesting.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!