Topic

Backpacking the Pacific Crest Trail (PCT)

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports Backpacking the Pacific Crest Trail (PCT)

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Manfred
    BPL Member

@orienteering

Companion forum thread to: Backpacking the Pacific Crest Trail (PCT)

When I was relatively new to BPL I read about Malto’s PCT hike and thought to myself that I want to do that too once I’m grown up. Now that I’m 60, I

Manfred
    BPL Member

@orienteering

You can read  day-by-day descriptions and find daily photos in this blog.

Alex (he/him)
    BPL Member

@malexreed

Wow! Thanks for sharing! I would love to do a long trail someday but it will probably be close to retirement age like yours. It’s inspiring to hear your story, thanks!

Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

Locale: Santa Barbara

I’m 59 and heading out next month to try to hike across Colorado and maybe also New Mexico. I’m pretty worried about my fitness for such big mountains but I do have all the time I need without worrying about making big daily miles. The PCT is so beautiful with the desert flowers and views. The CDT amazes me with the sky. As a life-long Southern Californian I rarely see such amazing skies.

Looking forward to reading more of your blog.

Alex (he/him)
    BPL Member

@malexreed

Diane – I live in New Mexico. I’m sure you’ve already thought of this, but please be cautious about the CDT south of Cuba in the summer due to dehydration / heat exhaustion risk! Otherwise sounds like a glorious adventure. Have you looked at the “Northern New Mexico Loop”? It’s a month-long trail that includes that nice CDT section. I think the suggested weather windows are May/June and September?

Tom D.
    BPL Member

@dafiremedic

Locale: Southern California

This is great Manfred. I don’t know if you remember running into me and my sons on the JMT in 2012, we talked for awhile approaching Crabtree Meadow. Great to see you still hitting the trail with your wife, and on the PCT no less!

Terran Terran
    BPL Member

@terran

Mission Creek probably benefitted from the flushing. It can get vastly overgrown with roots sucking up much of the water. What you did find would be full of decaying leaves.

I got a text the other day from an old friend saying “no more long hikes”. I still plan them in my head. At 67, I no longer have the ambition. I’ll be driving around Colorado this summer. Fishing and doing a lot of short hikes. Just getting out there just because I still can.

Nice write up.

Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

Locale: Santa Barbara

I think by the time I get to NM it will be September. I will probably save NM for next year.

Manfred
    BPL Member

@orienteering

In my last day in the Sierra section I finally saw a bear. Amazing and exciting!

The picture won‘t upload here, so you will have to look for it in my next blog post about today.

AK Granola
    BPL Member

@granolagirlak

I’m about to turn 60. I wish I was in shape enough to do the PCT. Maybe I could still get there. But I’ll enjoy all the hikes and backpacking trips I can do, no matter how long.

I’m really enjoying your blog Manfred. The post on Reverse Diet is really interesting. I hope you will post more about how the long miles affects your weight and energy level, and any strategies you resort to.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!