Topic

Backcountry Skiing to a Fire Lookout

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Editor’s Roundtable Backcountry Skiing to a Fire Lookout

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Mark Wetherington
    BPL Member

@markweth

Locale: Western Montana

Companion forum thread to: Backcountry Skiing to a Fire Lookout

BPL author Mark Wetherington skis into a remote fire lookout tower in Montana’s backcountry on a chilly winter night.

David Gardner
    BPL Member

@gearmaker

Locale: Northern California

Great writing. Captures the essence of backcountry winter camping on skis. The calm, the quiet, the beauty, the lack of crowds, the satisfaction. I haven’t gone out in years because I can’t find anyone to go with anymore, but now I’m inspired to break out my Firstlight tent, refresh the glue on my climbing skins, and sharpen my edges.

Tjaard Breeuwer
    BPL Member

@tjaard

Locale: Minnesota, USA

Great story!

Mark Wetherington
    BPL Member

@markweth

Locale: Western Montana

Thanks, Dave and Tjaard. This was a really fun piece to reflect on and write. I was just up at this lookout a few days ago to cut and split some wood (great exercise using only hand tools to do so at almost 8,000 feet)  to stock up for winter. Snow has started to fall here in the Northern Rockies so hopefully it will pile up and I can get back up thereon skis before too long!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!