Topic

Alternative To Kahtoola MICROspikes?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Alternative To Kahtoola MICROspikes?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    bradmacmt
    BPL Member

@bradmacmt

Locale: montana

Ok, need I need a pair…

Before I plunk down my cash for the Kahtoola’s, are there any other alternative’s I should consider?

Ken Larson
    BPL Member

@kenlarson

Locale: Western Michigan
    Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

Gear Guide 2017

… about a third of the way down. Why Hillsound might be better –

Hillsound Trail Crampons have a hook-and-loop instep strap that keeps them secured to your shoe on steeper terrain, when side hilling, and when trail running on rough terrain. The harder terrain you’re on, the more noticeable this benefit is.”

You could easily add a strap to Kahtoolas.

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

Snowline Chainsen Pro

bradmacmt
    BPL Member

@bradmacmt

Got a pair of Chainsen Lights on sale for $45

Thanks!

Paul Magnanti
    BPL Member

@paulmags

Locale: Colorado Plateau

I have the Hillsounds and have been happy with them.

Allegedly the Kahtoola’s being sold know are different from what was sold in recent past. Don’t know how true that is as I am only going by what I’ve seen reported online.

Todd T
    BPL Member

@texasbb

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Hillsound’s model most comparable to Kahtoola’s are the Trail Crampon Ultras.  But Hillsound has at least four other options with varying levels of spike aggressiveness.  It’s an interesting set of offerings.  It would be interesting to know whether the longer-spike options like the Trail Crampon really do better on softer snow.

Cameron M
    BPL Member

@cameronm-aka-backstroke

Locale: Los Angeles

I am interested to see how well the chainsen lights perform as they are claimed to be 28% lighter than microspikes.

bradmacmt
    BPL Member

@bradmacmt

I am interested to see how well the chainsen lights perform as they are claimed to be 28% lighter than microspikes.

I’ll put up the weight when I get them, and post a review when I’ve had some time to use them.

However, this is a helpful review that pushed me over the top:

http://www.sagetosummit.com/blog/gear-reviews/chainsen-light-microspike-review/

Ito Jakuchu
    BPL Member

@jakuchu

Locale: Japan

I’ve got these Twin Peak Chain Spikes. They’re 265g (9oz) for a pair that fit my size 12 trail runners.
    But I don’t know if this is an international selling brand or not. They come from Magic Mountain.
    http://www.magic-mountain.jp

Tom D.
    BPL Member

@dafiremedic

Locale: Southern California

People around here are generally smart enough (except me) to avoid the cheap ones, but just in case someone is tempted, I will say to avoid the cheap ones.

We had the first decent winter in a while early this year in the SoCal mountains, and I bought a cheap pair on eBay for $15 just to throw in my daypack in case I needed them, and I did. They actually did the job the first few times, got me a through sections that I needed to with good traction on very slippery ice. But after using them a few more times, the chains started coming apart after maybe three miles of total usage. I took pliers and a vice and crimped them back together, and I might use them again if I get snowed on in Mammoth or something casual like that. But I won’t use them for any situations where I think I might have to depend on them for safety.

The chains were of a smaller gauge and they were no doubt lighter than the Microspikes (I ran into a few people using them).  I also suspect that the metal used is not as high quality.

Bottom line is that if we have another good snow year, I’ll probably invest in the Micro spikes.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!