Topic

Sea to Summit Nano Mosquito Pyramid

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Sea to Summit Nano Mosquito Pyramid

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

I'm changing my shelter system and have an MLD Trailstar on the way.
    Which lends itself to the question of bug protection in the Sierra. I've had plenty of spartan trips without bug protection in which I was swallowing and inhaling mosquitos, others with minimal protection, mosquitos inches from my face all night, buzzing against the headnet, proboscises reaching for my flesh. No bueno. Having an actual shelter to retreat to and read a book when insect hordes are out for blood is a boon to sanity.

So how about the S2S Nano pyramid? $50, 3 oz., very spacious looking. It's floorless, but in keeping with the UL mindset, a 1 oz. sheet of polycro fixes that in a second. I'm not concerned about a bathtub/integrated floor as I presume the Trailstar's coverage is more than adequate.

I cannot tell from the photos….Is it symmetrical or is the peak offset?

From a cost/weight/coverage perspective, it looks like a winner. At a claimed 48" wide, I could probably get my son or daughter into the solo with me.

Why don't I see more of these on gear lists?

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

"Is it symmetrical or is the peak offset?"

My solo net is symetrical.

I tried using the duo one under a Hexamid Twin tarp and found that we were swimming in the net. It was easier for me to have Zpacks add the mosquito netting that making what should be a simple system, kludgy.

I've never seen a Trail star pitched but it seems that it may be too low and you may run in to the same problem. Dunno.

As for why it doesn't get a lot of use, I keep it for the kids for when we're camping in the BD megalite. Didn't need it last summer. If I'm going into a mosquito infested area solo, I'll bring my Zpacks tent instead of a traditional tarp.

I think if it's used properly, it's a nice piece of gear.

jimmer ultralight
    Spectator

@jimmer

And,FWIW, one if those has been on my CT gear list now for several months.I am most likely going to pair it with a MYOG Tyvek Bathtub Floor. Total weight will be about 7oz with no zippers to fail for about $70.

Ben C
    BPL Member

@alexdrewreed

Locale: Kentucky

I have it and have used it in a trailstar. It will do the job. It really didnt have the look or feel you see in the photo for me though. Unless you have them anchored, the corners pull in close. And the net tends to sag. Stakes or tie outs should help some. But it winds up being more like a net drape than a net pyramid. Its good enough to do the job, but it hasn't, for me, been the big open space I imagined. It is light and simple, so I like it just fine once I lowered my expectations.

Logan T
    Spectator

@ltt777

I've thought about getting one of these a few times for the exact same reason as you OP. Every review I've seen of them has always said they work just ok. Like an earlier poster mentioned every picture I've seen has it looking a lot more saggy and more of a netting drape than a pyramid. I think if someone were able to develop one that was able to be pitched taught in a tarp easily it would sell like hot cakes.

I'm surprised none of the cottage guys have taken that on yet. Although it may be a whole lot tougher than it seems at first glance and that could be the reason.

Steve Meier
    BPL Member

@smeier

Locale: Midwest

My failure to find good bug netting for my TS is one of the reasons that I ended up selling it, something I regret now. It is such a great shelter but its tough to lose all of that open space from a drooping net during bug season.

Andy F
    Spectator

@andyf

Locale: Midwest/Midatlantic

"It's floorless, but in keeping with the UL mindset, a 1 oz. sheet of polycro fixes that in a second."

Except in areas where the Insectoids have deployed ground-based troops in addition to their usual air force.

Dave @ Oware
    BPL Member

@bivysack-com

Locale: East Washington

"I'm surprised none of the cottage guys have taken that on yet. Although it may be a whole lot tougher than it seems at first glance and that could be the reason."

Lots of variations on the theme. Here is mine for use on canoe platforms in the Everglades. Also a two+ person/playpen version.

More fiddly with all the tie outs.

http://shop.bivysack.com/Bug-Bivy-Healy-Hammock-1bugbivy.htmbug baby

Ryan Smith
    BPL Member

@violentgreen

Locale: East TN

I've used one for a couple years. Pretty sure mine has an asymmetric shape/head end though?? Either way, it works fine although a little short for me. As others mentioned, the shelter your hanging it in really needs to be somewhat tall(like a mid) and using dedicated stakes for it works best.

Ryan

Logan T
    Spectator

@ltt777

"Lots of variations on the theme. Here is mine for use on canoe platforms in the Everglades. Also a two+ person/playpen version"

Sure but that looks like a net tent which you are right there are a lot of. I was speaking about just floorless nets like the S2S model discussed in the OP.

Frank T

@random_walk

Locale: San Diego

Unless I'm missing something, this thread presents the nano 1 as asymmetric:

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=81214

In any event, the thread's OP and a couple of responses suggest the nano is good in a combo with a number of shelters, and can be pitched tight enough to not be very saggy.

I have that thread bookmarked because I'm considering the nano for use under a ZPacks hexamid solo+.

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

So it sounds doable, but a little sloppy in sizing.
    I can see the potential sag issues. I don't need something as serious as a solo inner from MLD or the likes (and don't want to spend that kind of money).

Maybe my best best is to sew a downsized version of the S2S version myself once I have the Trailstar and can see the space I have to work with. Nano netting is certainly cheap.

Philip Tschersich
    BPL Member

@philip-ak

Locale: Kodiak Alaska

The StS Nano is asymmetrical in the sense that the peak is located closer to the user's head than their feet. It is not offset side-to-side as you would want in a pyramid shelter with a center pole. That said, the mesh is pretty stretchy (unlike conventional noseeum netting) and so pulling it into a half-pyramid shape would be easy. The mesh openings are quite large and would let noseeums through (not sure about the Permetherin treatment) but it would stop mosquitos.

Jennifer Mitol
    Spectator

@jenmitol

Locale: In my dreams....

i bought the 1 p STS nano for the trailstar and wow did that not work. I was swimming in net – at no point could i get the net high enough off the ground for it to actually do anything but lay on top of me.

Curt Peterson
    BPL Member

@curtpeterson

Locale: Pacific Northwest

My experience is the same as Philip's. Asymmetrical – higher at the head than the foot. He also mentioned the stretchiness. That is absolutely true. And a nice feature, actually. I got the pre-treated (InsectShield?) version. Weight is true. Actually a bit lighter if you shorten the insanely long bungee cord, remove clips, stuff like that.

I'm not sure it's THAT oversized. Here's a pic of it set up indoors on the footprint of a GoLite Shangri La 3 floor. Nice and taut. Hope that helps.

S2S

jimmer ultralight
    Spectator

@jimmer

I stand corrected then. From the S2S photos ,the angles I had previously seen that net, it always looked symetrical.

It looks like it would work well for my use under under a wedge pitched 8×10 tarp.

Michael Driscoll
    BPL Member

@hillhikerz

Locale: Monterey Bay

here is me talking a break in Glen Aulen tons of mosquitos… usually cowboy camp at 3oz some relief…
    I use 3 T-stakes and a rock for the in and out spot.. when rain would use a Shangri-la 2 inside a hassle to set up but not bad and cheap…
    sts 1

USA Duane Hall
    BPL Member

@hikerduane

Locale: Extreme northern Sierra Nevada

I've used my solo version a couple times. I use a couple crossed sticks or poles to hold up the top, guyed out. The corners can be staked with ti stakes or sticks/rocks. Material stretches to go around the sb and pad. For the weight, what can you expect? :) Seems you can adjust the line at the peak to accomodate a tarp if it has loops to do so that are in from the ends a bit.
    Duane

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

I used a STS Nano with a flat tarp all this past summer and found it quite satisfactory. Given the price, weight, and small packed size it is a hard option to beat; ideal for occasional use. I found tucking gear inside to be effective for holding the four corners out (which is necessary for ideal function). I can see it being too tall for a ground-tight Trailstar pitch.

Edward Jursek
    BPL Member

@nedjursekgmail-com

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I ended up with the solo S2S net and find it works ok under a MLD Duomid and a Gatewood Cape. Dedicated inner net tents seem heavy (even in cuben) and expensive. I am not a bivy fan. So, for the weight, cost, relative effectiveness, and flexility, it will do for now. I am also considering a simple cuben bug bivy, but the S2S net has made it a very low priority.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!