Topic

Fly Boxes

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Off Piste Fishing & Tenkara Fly Boxes

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Paul Lewer
    BPL Member

@idahoan

Locale: Boise, Idaho

Has anyone come across a fly box solution that packs more flies for less weight than the Morells? I am going to make my own fly vest around the best box/system, which is why I am starting with the box/system. Thank you!

Jackson Dockery
    Spectator

@ferrulewax

Locale: a county over from springer mountai

The morrels are the lightest I have found, that said, the C&F ultralights are alot nicer box for a small amount of extra weitht. I also like the orvis streamline boxes for a lower profile box, however they are heavier and realy only good for smaller flies.

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

Sort of depends on how many "styles" of flys you're talking about, and how many of each you will take.

A tenkara purist could get by with one of these

Flybox3

55mm wide x 85mm tall x 20mm deep, and 22 grams.

Other variations are available.

MFR
    Spectator

@bigriverangler

Locale: West

If I had found the perfect fly box yet, I'd tell you. But what I've settled on for now are the C&F Ultralight boxes in medium. They're a bit too easy to crush for my liking, but so far the foam has always come back in the same (or very nearly so) shape.

The Simms foam fly box is a bit heavier (I want to say about 3 ounces total), but if you were really good, you could probably fit more flies in it. They might give the C&F boxes a run for their money on fly per gram ratio. I can't say for sure, as I've never bothered to weigh my C&F boxes, but if you'd like, I can weigh one.

I don't like the plastic boxes like Greg linked because sharp hooks easily get caught in nice, brushy flies–even the kebari and killer bugs in his picture. Plus, I have seen too many people lose all or most of a fly box when they spill. One buddy of mine spilled half his flies into a backcountry lake on just a minor slip, and he's a careful person.

Yuri R
    BPL Member

@yazon

How many flies do you want to bring?

My personal preference for completely lowest weight box is to get a small "sauce" plastic box available in most grocery/supermarket stores.
    They are usually round about an inch and a half in diameter with top that locks. Now, I have some for my own use and I prefer the slightly thicker plastic with the top that is attached to the body of the box.

But you could always get the super thin and light disposable sauce boxes at most fast food places (usually for ketchup, mayo, salsa). I use those like these in first link and can fit about 5-6 without them getting too compressed.

http://www.telecommunications-b2b.com/b2b/pics/Plastic_Sauce_Containers.jpg

http://thumbs4.ebaystatic.com/d/l225/m/mciw_F4tNYT3IYbA0oXqffg.jpg

Marko Botsaris
    BPL Member

@millonas

Locale: Santa Cruz Mountains, CA

The condiment style plastic dish with a lid like Yuri said (fly shops use them for keeping the flies together when making ap purchase) is the lightest. For backpacking I prefer the "dump them all in one (or a few) compartment" style packing and if you do that you can use virtually any container. If traditional Tenkara fishermen use a glass bottle with a cork in it then I suppose a more rigid UL version might be one of the twist top wide mouth plastic containers from US plastics. For more style I really like those aluminum mint tins. For lightest with more organization I would go with some 2mm crafting foam (cheap to buy on amazon) cut to fit in whatever style ziplock you like best. Replace foam when it get worn out. Especially if you are going to design a special pocket you may not need any additional protection.

FWIW, I think that the Tenkara USA 8 compartment plastic boxes are the most stylish plastic ones out there. Very elegant! Err, for a plastic box that is.

box

These are bigger than the one Greg is showing, about the size of the foam boxes, though the one he pictured above looks like exactly the one I took on the JMT last summer – stuffed with over 40 flies I might add. That one is definitely lighter that the foam ones. The magnets tend to ruin it, aesthetically if not much in actual weight, if you are a true gram weenie

Paul Lewer
    BPL Member

@idahoan

Locale: Boise, Idaho

Thank you all for your comments and suggestions. I wasn't familiar with the CF Ultralight boxes, but now I am! CF's own site lists the weight to the gram for each of the sizes. Really handy.

Much of the time I am backpacking as a means to my fishing, so if there is something that I err on the side of – it is taking fishing gear despite the weight penalty. This gets at the question of how many flies and what styles. I don't know how many flies and styles I'll tie between now and then, but I am imagining several hundred flies easy. When fishing is your end and not merely an afterthought, you don't want to be at your destination to fish and not have the right fly. I think of my fishing gear as the lunar lander and the rest of the gear as the booster rocket. I won't be bringing a canoe along to fish, but flies are pretty light in weight to be skimping on. But that is just me.

I love the suggestion of using foam to make my own. I love Yuri's suggestion. I think ultimately I will have to experiment with all of these and consider the trade-offs. Weight is not the only factor. Once I am at my destination, I'll be wearing my MYOG vest and wanting to change out line/flies quickly.

Speaking of the vest…

I want to have the vest to also be a small daypack, allowing me to pack my very compact and lightweight (1660 gram) float tube kit (float tube + waders + fins). So in the back I'll be able to carry everything I need to fish/explore from camp. This would include the float tube kit, raingear, water system and a small amount of food. With all my terminal tackle accessible from the front, I can fish right out of the vest on the go. Then once at a lake I want to fish from the float tube, I'd set up the tube and then wear the same vest as I fish out of the tube.

Please feel free to take pot shots, make suggestions, etc. I'll keep you posted on the development, although I'll warn you now that it'll unfold slowly . . .

Adam Klags
    BPL Member

@klags

Locale: Northeast USA

Dude, got another suggestion that saves you time and money, and maybe weight too… try a tenkara chest pack or strap pack maybe? I tend to use one pack while hiking, not wanting to bring an extra pack or vest because that's something I'd consider redundant weight in my big pack.

I've found that the most ideal solution for me is a chest pack or shoulder pack that straps onto your main pack. This way you just empty your pack in camp as you set up, and then fill it back up with what you need in terms of jacket, food, etc… and the chest pack or strap pack stays on your pack and you never have to think about what things to put back in… your tenkara kit is always right there with all the stuff you need.

Its basically the same as your vest, except only using the stuff you're already carrying. In addition, you can remove these small chest or strap packs and use a length of ultralight cord/rope to sling them over your shoulder. Or you can clip them to your belt.
    This way your entire tenkara kit stays where it is, in that little shoulder or strap pack, at all times.

Zimmerbuilt makes them, and even has a larger shoulder pack conversion option that packs an extra layer and lunch. They also make the sling pack, which works great as a day pack and can hold your tenkara gear.

Also, Tiemco owns a company in Japan called Foxfire and they have the "Airista" series that includes some ultralight day fishing chest or over-the shoulder-packs, very light… I use the airista minimalist body pack to hold my tenkara gear and just attach it to my regular pack. Detach when fishing without the need for extra stuff… use it alone when fishing places that are accessible by car.

http://www.zimmerbuilt.com/tenkara-gear.html

http://airista.jp/product/bags/

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools