Topic

Shawangunk mountain range

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning Shawangunk mountain range

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

So, reading the Shawangunk mountains map set it says there is no camping permitted anywhere in the Shawangunk Mt range. Is this strictly enforced? I'm not talking about a lot of people or big campsite or making a fire..more in the lines of throwing my pad and quilt down..off trail and sleeping thru night, wake up at dawn and continue on.  Just wondering about all the parking areas if overnight parking is permitted. Anyone got any info? I have done some day hiking in the area and it is beautiful.  Would love to spend a weekend in those mountains. Thanks.

Adam Klags
    BPL Member

@klags

Locale: Northeast USA

Hi Joe, unfortunately this range is not for backpacking. Correct, there is no overnight parking in the lots that I'm aware of. You could find a road spot. I don't suggest it. People who hike here are definitely not mostly of the BPL type, or the rugged mtn type. I love these mtns because I spent summers in them for my entire childhood. But this is family/weekend-warrior, climber territory. And it sees HEAVY use. As is the case, you just shouldn't camp there. You technically could break the rules and maybe not get caught, but there are rangers on bikes, trucks and foot that will likely find you when they notice your car still there. Most likely because they'll think they need to rescue you. Even if that weren't the case, you would probably enjoy it more if you stayed at the hostel in town, or at an inn or Bed & Breakfast, and did you day hiking. You can literally walk the park in a day. Its a long ridge, but the trails are easy and mileage flies by. I'd be happy to share some more details with you if interested, but honestly its best not to camp out on the ridge. There are some less than desirable campsites nearby, but also maybe some that are not bad. They are building new campsites and eventually will have some camping area, and you should look into when they are going to open that up for the public, I totally forgot to read the details when I got an email from them a few months ago…

dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

Yup..what I figured. Thanks. Guess I will stick with the day hikes there while visiting New Paltz and do my backpacking in the Cats and Daks.

Ethan A.
    BPL Member

@mountainwalker

Locale: SF Bay Area & New England

Adam is spot on. I hiked in that area nearly every fall season for years. The 'Gunks are heavy use but they're also very beautiful which is why people come back again and again. They also offer great climbing and climbing schools.

Nearby Minnewaska State Park (about 15 min) has jaw-dropping views of the reservoir, cliffs, forest and waterfalls. In the fall it's so popular that during peak color weekends you can run out of parking very quickly in the AM.

Historic Mohonk Mountain House and Preserve (first private one in the US) are definitely worth a visit as well – very nice trails, including one to the stone lookout tower with views out across the whole range. The Mountain House is an old classic hotel which has featured in a bunch of films. Lots of cool common rooms and decor, including a covered porch overlooking the man-made lake.

The whole area is spectacular in late October/early November (I shouldn't be sending more people there).

Any ranger spotting a car in park parking end of day will come looking for you assuming you ran into trouble and be mighty annoyed they can't head home on time, which could quickly find an outlet in a fine.

dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

Yup. The area is beautiful indeed. I am familiar with all the mentioned places as I spent a lot of time in New Paltz years ago when my wife (girlfriend at time) went to school there. Thanks again for the replies.

Adam Klags
    BPL Member

@klags

Locale: Northeast USA

Hey dude, so I found the info I was talking about earlier for the new campsite. There will finally be a public site opening in 2015 but again, probably won't be what you're after :)

http://www.mohonkpreserve.org/camping

Also, if you really want to tent overnight nearby, there is a site that I've driven by when going to the other side of the ridge at Sam's point preserve, its right off the exit for 17. I've never driven in, but it looks like a house with property behind it that allows camping. I bet very few people go there. Its in the middle of nowhere. Here is the info:

Berentsens Campground
    266 Roosa Gap Rd
    Bloomingburg, NY 12721
    http://www.berentsencampground.com/

dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

Thanks again for the info. I'm not into campsites..I'd rather hike a few miles in and find a cozy spot to lay down for the night and sleep. If I'm in New Paltz I will just keep my tradition going and crash at the Super 8 and stick with day hikes in that area. Thanks again though..enjoy.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools