Topic

Deet in a pump spray bottle

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Deet in a pump spray bottle

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    mik matra
    BPL Member

@mikmik

Locale: Brisbane AUSTRALIA

Hi,

I have Deet ointment and have a pump action small bottle I want to put it in to spray it on my rather than lotion it on as I currently do. It will help not having to clean the hands after using the product.

My question is what liquid should I dilute the Deet with to make it sprayable?

Ta guys

Mik.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

I'm not sure what DEET ointment is.

Most DEET is sold in the form of a thick liquid, and it is easily sprayed on. I found an atomizer bottle that is smaller than my little finger, so it hold enough for a couple of days. I have a roll-on bottle of the same size, and DEET works from it as well, although slower to apply.

Note that DEET liquid will dissolve some paints and plastics, so you have to be careful how you use it.

–B.G.–

M B
    BPL Member

@livingontheroad

A pump with a thin liquid can leak very easily. I prefer 3m Ultrathon because it doesnt leak. I also use only a dab if at all. Treated clothing and headnet is #1 line of defense, hands are about all that gets some deet.

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

"Note that DEET liquid will dissolve some paints and plastics, so you have to be careful how you use it".

+1.

Fill, do a spray test, place the bottle on ceramic plate, and re-test in 24 hours.
    You may be surprised.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

What does the ceramic plate do?

–B.G.–

jimmy b
    BPL Member

@jimmyb

Agree with MB. Convenience spray bottles are great until they fail.

Curious though why you need to clean your hands after. Do you not need protection for your hands? I assume they are exposed. Maybe not.

Also you may consider by spraying you are probably using much more than you need to carry. I find by wearing the right clothing bites are minimized to exposed skin. A single drop or two on my exposed hands and I'm good to go for hours. I have a mini eye drop bottle from the dollar store when filled could probably keep us going for a week at 4-5 grams. We donned our head nets this weekend and as much of a PITA they are to see thru sometimes, they are GREAT in keeping the annoying buggers from buzzing your face and ears, zero bites and less deet stink and exposure. YMMV

If you still want to dilute it, do it with regular deet liquid until it goes through your spray bottle.

jimmyb

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

"What does the ceramic plate do?"

If the bottle melts, the DEET is contained. (Usually)

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

The DEET I use is in a spray bottle. It has a cap that covers the spray head. It's bulky, yes.

But I get an application that is more uniform and conservative than spreading drops.
    I can spray my hat, the shoulders of my shirt, my socks.
    And the food from my hands doesn't smell or taste like DEET.

It works for me. YMMV.

Kerry Wilson

@mntnflyr4fun

Locale: North of Eugene, South of Portland

I buy 100% deet in a 1 oz. pump spray bottle at any local sporting goods outlet…..

jimmy b
    BPL Member

@jimmyb

"I can spray my hat, the shoulders of my shirt, my socks."

Yes, applying to clothing I can see the dispersion and usage would be better served by a spray bottle. I get eaten alive. Unfortunately I am one of those gene types that recent scientific discovery has found to be irresistible to mosquitos :( I deny them by covering up.

jimmyb

mik matra
    BPL Member

@mikmik

Locale: Brisbane AUSTRALIA

….because where we are usually camping it is cattle tick country and I find a drop does nothing to deter the 'bigger' pests like ticks. If I have more of a coating it seems to work better.

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Deal with ticks by using permethrin.

Wash it into your clothes. Spray your shoes and gaiters. You're good for the rest of the season.

DEET trys to confuse ticks. Permethrin kills them.

J R
    Spectator

@jringeorgia

DEET is not very effective against ticks.

Lori P
    BPL Member

@lori999

Locale: Central Valley

Some mosquitos (there are many subspecies) don't much care if you're wearing deet, either.

I treated a short sleeve shirt and a long sleeve REI Sahara shirt with permethrin. They land, they fly off. I've seen ticks walk across deet treated clothing. They fall off permethrin treated pants.

Note that in liquid form it is deadly to cats and fish and amphibians… treat clothing outdoors in ventilated areas and dry clothing well. Permethrin lasts through 5-6 washes.

hwc 1954

@wcollings

I have the jumbo sized DEET in a container in the trunk of my car. For hiking/camping, I carry a 1/2 oz spray vial of DEET. Alas, spray is still not hands free. It only takes a few sprays on each limb and then rub it around for full coverage. Same on the neck, ears, etc. I don't want to be spraying my face with DEET, so I spray some on my hand and apply it.

SAWYER DEET

I was hoping these little sprayer vials would be refillable, but they really aren't the top is pretty much on there to stay. But, you can buy little half ounce spray bottles of DEET for cheap at WalMart. The brand of DEET doesn't make any difference.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

There is a similar spray, and it is one ounce of DEET, 95%. The brand name is Repel 100. The spray bottle is refillable. I find the odor to be slightly less objectionable than other DEET brands.

I've found that I really do not need to spray any DEET on my skin. Instead, I sometimes spray a bit on some clothing area that gets warmth from my skin. That keeps it vaporizing into a cloud that keeps the mozzies away. So, I hit the back of my shirt collar and places like that. It seems to work.

–B.G.–

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

" Instead, I sometimes spray a bit on some clothing area that gets warmth from my skin."

+1

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools