Topic

Using Bleach to Wash Clothes on the Trail

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Using Bleach to Wash Clothes on the Trail

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Marko Botsaris
    BPL Member

@millonas

Locale: Santa Cruz Mountains, CA

This blog post:

http://ingasadventures.com/2014/06/12/doing-laundry-on-the-backpacking-trail/

seem to have a very well thought out strategy for keeping clothes fresh using bleach. Also a thought out rationale why it is better than BD soap. On the other hand most of the synthetic labels warn away from bleach. Anyone with experience with this method or something similar? Did is shorten the life of your synthetic stuff? Could it just be a matter of degree – enough to kill the bacteria, but not enough to fry the fibers?

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

Bleach can have a very negative effect on some fabrics, and you might not see it happening in the short term. I would never think of using bleach on synthetics.

If you absolutely need to wash clothes on the trail, and if simple rinsing doesn't cut it, then I would suggest to use about a half-drop of any mild liquid soap. Do the laundry inside your cook pot, and then discard the liquid away from any stream. Sun-drying will also have a sterilizing effect on the garment.

–B.G.–

Billy Ray
    Spectator

@rosyfinch

Locale: the mountains

"If you absolutely need to wash clothes on the trail, and if simple rinsing doesn't cut it, then I would suggest to use about a half-drop of any mild liquid soap. Do the laundry inside your cook pot,…"

I would not want the nasties fron my socks or under wear in my cook pot… a wp stuff sack would be better….

billy

David Moreno
    BPL Member

@nerrek2000

Locale: New England

I've never used it on the trail, but washed my outdoor clothing in a public washer that had just before been used to bleach whites. They used the scented kind and there was no residual smell in the washer.

I found this out right after doing my load of clothes.

Within 3 wearings of the clothing, I started to notice the material breaking in areas that rubbed against anything.

Moral: Don't ever wash outdoor fabrics in water that has even the slightest bleach residue. Definitely don't wash in bleach on the trail. Bleaching on the trail has environmental consequences as well.

Just my opinion.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

There is no end to the stupidity of some people.
    Basically, Bob G is right. SOAP.

Cheers

Marko Botsaris
    BPL Member

@millonas

Great. I'll keep doing what I have been doing since forever (BD soap), and one less thing to bring.

Adam White
    BPL Member

@awhite4777

Locale: On the switchbacks

I'm sure I'm not alone in this–but I don't do any laundry on the trail.

I mean, I'm guilty of jumping in lakes and streams partially clothed on occasion, and I consider that "good enough". I don't even bring soap, much less do laundry with it.

I always thought it was my offensive personality all these years. Maybe it's my odor.

"Hey, come stick your head in my bivy. Does that smell bad to you?"

Anonymous
    Inactive

"Basically, Bob G is right. SOAP."

Why bother with soap, when a few simple rinses/wring outs until the wringing water runs clear? More or less. ;) It's not like you're going anywhere civilized after all.

Edited: Pretty much in the same category as using deodorant, IMO.

Marko Botsaris
    BPL Member

@millonas

The idea is to get the skin-irritating bacteria out, and as far as I'm concerned I can smell as bad you like. In fact its the ideal – feel good, but repel the annoying humans.

Anonymous
    Inactive

"The idea is to get the skin-irritating bacteria out, and as far as I'm concerned I can smell as bad you like."

Water and a good air drying in the sun seems to take care of both bacteria and odor, if my experience is any indicator. The only skin irritation I ever experience in the backcountry has to do with sunburn and accumulation of sweat byproducts and bacteria in the nether regions and my head. The first is addressed by sunscreen/clothing, the second by a good old fashioned, thorough washing of said regions with plain old water. That said, WYOC/B, as always.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

"sweat byproducts and bacteria in the nether regions and my head"

Tom, dude, I can't believe you actually left yourself so open on that one. Must …… resist …….. replying…….

Anonymous
    Inactive

"Tom, dude, I can't believe you actually left yourself so open on that one. Must …… resist …….. replying……."

I was counting on you, Doug. It's been sort of boring around here lately, so c'mon,
    show me what you've got. ;0))

Oops, did I just leave myself open again?

JJ Willcoxon
    Spectator

@h2oboy

Locale: Midwest

A couple of drops of Campsuds in a waterproof stuff sack turned inside out. Shake and agitate, empty dirty water (far from any water source), wring out the clothing item, repeat with clean water 2-3 times to get the soap out and hang dry in the sun.

Bruce Tolley
    BPL Member

@btolley

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

To the question in the original post, while I think that soap and sunlight is the right answer, if I remember my college chemistry right, you will get the same chemical effect (the release of oxygen as a disinfectant) but dosing your laundry water with chlorine dioxide.

Jake S

@spags

"a wp stuff sack would be better"

Yet another use for a trash compactor bag.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools