Topic

butter in a squeeze tube…

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition butter in a squeeze tube…

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Kevin Burton
    BPL Member

@burtonator

Locale: norcal

I personally prefer butter to olive oil or other types of oils for both cooking or adding flavor to food.

Further, it's VERY high in calories. 7.1 calories per gram… You can go with ghee if you want as it's 9 calories per gram but personally I don't think it tastes as yummy. And further, ghee is a bit pricey and harder to find (at least for me).

and psychologically the taste of butter rocks. I could toast bread and put it on the bread or mix it in with my rehydrated meals or put it on crackers. Yum.

Anyway.. the problem is that it's not very portable, and it can oxidize and spoil.

So the trick is to just keep it away from oxygen and find some way to make it manageable/portable.

So it dawned on me, squeeze tubes!

http://www.amazon.com/Coghlans-7605A-Squeeze-Tubes/dp/B000LBURBK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1392937809&sr=8-1&keywords=squeeze+tube

One could take one of these and fill it with butter and then melt it and then squeeze the air out.

Just like toothpaste. :-P

Actually … this is dual use gear! I can now just brush my teeth with butter! SCORE!

… you could also do the same thing for coconut oil. Which is also semi solid and difficult to manage.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

Make your own Ghee, it is really easy.

Brian Mix
    BPL Member

@aggro

Locale: Western slope, Sierra Nevada

Squeeze tubes could be used with peanut butter also, creamy of course.

Mark Ries
    Spectator

@mtmnmark

Locale: IOWAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

I've used the squeeze tubes a lot with butter the real only downside is getting it out on cold days you might want to stick it in your shirt where it can warm with body heat. The clips that hold the tube shut also has a tendency to break.

Dave G
    BPL Member

@dapperdave

"I can now just brush my teeth with butter!"

And floss with bacon

Anthony Analetto

@fubar2us

Locale: MidWest USA

Butter Powder is great to add to anything you want to get that nice flavor. does not work as well to add water and spread on bread. http://www.myspicesage.com/butter-powder-p-1220.html

Marc Kokosky
    BPL Member

@mak52580

Locale: Washington, DC Area

Granted I only go for shorter trips of a few days generally. If I need butter I snag some of the hard packs they have at diners and such. They are sealed tight, weigh next to nothing, are pretty durable in a pack and can stay unrefrigerated for quite a while…. Long enough for my trips anyways.

Also make sure you get actual butter, not margarine which I've had separate a couple times on hotter days

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!