Topic

Mini angel food cake pan windscreen/pot support?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Mini angel food cake pan windscreen/pot support?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I've been looking at angel food cake pans for potential stove parts. I see a lot of used ones in thrift stores and they are all thin aluminum so the low price and light weight are appealing.

I found this mini cake pan the other day and I it think has potential as a MYOG windscreen and pot support or even a small wood stove. Of course in this form it needs to be adapted with holes drilled in it or whole sections cut out to allow flame spread and air supply for the stove/fuel burning below.

The pan without the center section is 1.2oz, 2-1/8" tall, 4-1/8" across the top and 3-1/4" across the bottom. I bought two used ones for $1.99.

It is shown with an IMUSA 10cm pot, which is stable sitting in the top opening and the pan fits inside perfectly with a Zelph Stoves lid on top.

Any ideas on how to perforate this thing for optimal use? it begs for experimentation with a GramCracker or other Esbit setup and may be made to work with an alcohol stov as well. Perhaps a small wood burner too?

There is another small size that is about 7" diameter and 4.5" tall that may have good potential as a wood burner or maybe a mini BBQ.

Mini angel food cake pan

Mini angel food cake pan

Mini angel food cake pan

Mini angel food cake pan

Dan Yeruski
    BPL Member

@zelph

Locale: www.bplite.com

Wow!!!!! I'd love to have one for steam baking. Gee! that's a perfect set up for backpacking………Gee!!! I'm all excited about this set-up.

Is there a manufacture name on the cake pan?

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

No brand name, but if you google "mini angel food cake pan " and you'll find plenty. Not all have removable centers. Lots of non-stick too.

Robert Kelly
    BPL Member

@qiwiz

Locale: UL gear @ QiWiz.net

I think this has great potential as a baking pan inside a pot that it fits into, OR over a burner with a heat shield, spacer, and foil hood. Thin aluminum will not hold up to the heat generated in a wood stove, so I don't think that idea will work out.

Robert Kelly
    BPL Member

@qiwiz

Locale: UL gear @ QiWiz.net

Just found a 2-pan set with nonstick coating and removable centers by Wilton on Amazon for $7.37
    Should be fun to try them out this weekend. A new way to bake in the backcountry is always good!

Dan Yeruski
    BPL Member

@zelph

Dale, is the lid the same diameter as the cake pan?

I purchased 3, 4" dia 1 piece pans on ebay today.

I'll return your PM tomorrow after you let me know the diameter.

duh!!!! got my answer by re-reading your initial post :-)

Yes to your PM. :-)

Dan Yeruski
    BPL Member

@zelph

Dale my friend, I have been baking.

I used a StarLyte for simmering stove, 1/2 ounce denatured alcohol.

Used the 10cm Imusa mug sold at bplite. ;-) used an aluminum foil lid.

Cake batter consisted of 2 different cake mixes combined.

Recipe:

3/4 cup cake mix
    1/2 cup water
    mix together

1/4 cup water in bottom of Imusa

steam bake for 6 min.

I have come to the conclusion that the 2 piece cake pan is a PITA when it comes to clean-up. time.

What did you use to prevent batter from working it's way under the removable center part?

photo 3-2-62pcpan001_zps03860059.jpg

photo 3-2-62pcpan002_zps55f6131c.jpg

photo 3-2-62pcpan003_zpsc2ce6c45.jpg

photo 3-2-62pcpan004_zps6db8f332.jpg

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Dan asked, "What did you use to prevent batter from working it's way under the removable center part?"

I was investigating the use as a windscreen/pot support. The steam baking was YOUR contribution, and I thought that was brilliant.

My wife is quite the baker and she said that the cake batter is usually thick enough to prevent big leaks, but yours isn't unusual. I would try a little Crisco for sealing and easier cleanup or perhaps some parchment paper or cupcake wrapper "gaskets?"

One of our categories for rating camp food is the clean up factor. We have a pasta with clams and jack cheese dish that tastes great, but you need a jackhammer to clean the stuff up. I feel your pain!

So how was the cake?

Dan Yeruski
    BPL Member

@zelph

The cake batter recipe is the greatest. It's 2 cake mixes together equal amounts. One box of this and one box of that. My wife knows which ones.

I'm going back to using a one piece pan non-stick. I need to find the right pot for it though.

I'll perfect a system for the 10cm Imusa mug…make it work!!! :-)

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!