Topic

Best Software to print Topo maps to scale?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Best Software to print Topo maps to scale?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Josh Laurandeau
    BPL Member

@jlaurandeau

Locale: Montana

I'm looking for advice on the best software out there for printing topo maps. I think it's important to have paper maps on a long hike. Reason 1 is backup in case your GPS fails. Reason 2 is it's easier to take a quick look at a topo map and use a compass for quick checkss along a hike and save some battey on your GPS. What I'd like to do is print my topo maps to scale (preferably 24k) so that the scales on my compass or map tools would work the same way that I'm used to using standard USGS 24k topo maps.

I have the latest Garmin Basecamp and bought the topos for $100 to go with my Garmin Rino. However Basecamp can't print topo maps at 24k or 100k scale. It can't print at ANY standard defined map scale for that matter. The closest I can get is to print them at whatever the next scale up is (0.5-miles per inch usually), then set the photo-copier to shrink the image by 75%. It doesn't give exactly 2,000-feet per inch like a REAL topo, but it does "function". However, this seems like a feature that the software should just "do"!

I've also tried the free "Gmap4" software at: http://www.mappingsupport.com/p/gmap4.html

The Gmap4 software is great, but if it has the ability to print a map to scale, I haven't figured it out.

I also had an old copy of DeLorme Topo USA (version 4.0), but THIS software also doesn't allow printing of maps to a 24k scale. I e-mailed Delorme about another issue I had with this software (since it was old, It wouldn't run on Windows 7 without having windows run it in a Windoes XP SP2 compatability mode). They offered me 30% off of the new DeLorme Topo North America Version 10.0. However, since I've had such poor luck being happy with a topo-software I decided to post here fist to see what everyone else is doing. I'd hate to spend more $ to end up with another topo software that also does not print to 24k scale.

Seems to me that printing a map from topo software (especially software that you pay for) shouldn't be that difficult. I hate to hang my life on a GPS because my software won't print maps to a standardized scale that will work with a normal compass or map tool. (by the way, map tools at http://www.MapTools.com rock). What I'm forced into now is going through all the trouble of putting data into Basecamp, then having to carry a standard USGS 7.5-minute 24k quad anyway. Not a HUGE deal, as the map is great, but it would be better to have all of the data that I put into the custom map software on my paper map. It also would be a huge benefit to no have to carry 2 topos (to save weight) when a particular trail traverses across a USGS 7.5-minute boundry. It would be nice to print the map of just the area that is required.

Anyway, anyone want to weigh in on this? Is there some great software out there that does this? Does someone have a better way to do this?

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

Caltopo should work for you and there's no cost. It'll definitely print maps as 24k. I don't see why 100k should be a problem but I haven't made an maps with that low of resolution.

I normally create the map as a PDF and send it to my phone as a backup.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

You'd think that, given our advanced digital technoloigy, GPS companies could provide printable maps to USGS scales. But NOOOOOO! They have to have a proprietary "scale" that only thjey use.

Obviously this is all in an effort to get you to use only their maps with their GPS units.

Maybe GOOGLE will get on the ball and give us topos in proper scales for a decent price – like free. :o)

Scott Musack
    Spectator

@scottm

Locale: Oregon

+1 for caltopo. They are easily the best online topo mapping tool out there and the maps print to scale.

You can even upload waypoints and tracks into your map, which is a nice bonus.

peter vacco

@fluffinreach-com

Locale: no. california

" However, this seems like a feature that the software should just "do"! "

yikes …
    in that even if you are priting someting normal, such as an eps graphic, and you so much as change from one printer to another, one can quickly learn that real life dimesnsions vs printers are two entirely seperate worlds.
    you'd be lucky to have a simple square shape print exactly square on an inkjet.
    this, in my opnion is The Way Things Are.
    and it's not so bad really.

peter's "solution" for Canada is to buy (very reasonably) maps from Yellow Map.com

these give me a file format that i can open in glorious full resolution using Pages (default Mac program like word, but better graphics package .. and vastly cheaper).
    now .. pages has a very slick and not altogether well documented ability to scale map graphics at about 0.010" increments. and to tilt them in 0.10* degree amounts. and to select/crop areas with edges with remarkable accuracy. using these three tools, one can open as may maps as one needs too (if you have the ram) and meld them seamlessly together. i print them on legal size Nat Geo adventure paper. this is not as slick as having great map software that allows one to just select an area and melds the edges for you. but it works, and it renders a Very Nice looking result.
    it also lets me print the highly detailed 50k maps nice and tight, so i can get more on a page than the rather huge(ish) 50k maps themselves.

i think you are chasing windmills in an effort to print exact physical scale, just so as to have it align with the scale on your compass. i see the logic to it, yes … but suspect you are kind'a going the wrong direction. i mean, a square is a klic (on Canuk maps), ours square is like a mile. but, once you dump lats and longs degrees, we've got the same digital overlay 1k grid.. right ? so if we have 1k to the square, you'll still get a good idea of where you're at, only the physical size of the square will be different.
    i print down to the limit of detail i can see when i'm tired.

i hope that helps. good luck !

cheers,
    v.

Josh Laurandeau
    BPL Member

@jlaurandeau

Locale: Montana

Thanks for the line on "CalTopo" guys! I had not come across that one yet. I'll check it out for sure. Sounds great to me!

I get what you're saying Peter, each printer will have differences and won't be "Exactly" 2,000-feet per inch (for 24k), but the ability to be "close" would be nice. Even printing at 24k then having a +/-% scale option in x and y to get it spot-on doesn't sound unachieavable… I get the feeling that a lot of this software is simply made for GPS exclusive type people who either don't know how to use a compass also, or don't care to anymore. Who knows…

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

Hey Josh,

The nice thing about Caltopo is that it will print the scale with the map. In theory, if there is any distortion during the printing process, the scale and map should change at the same rate.

I'm used to working with a separate protractor and compass so it isn't a big deal for me to use a 3×5 card or piece of overlay and make a protractor.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!