Topic

Doubling sleeping bags

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Doubling sleeping bags

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Charles Maguire

@hikelite

Locale: Virginia

I use a Arc-Alpinist with a 3/4 thermalite pad. I had Tom add additional down in foot box and bag. To help with chill and wind around 20*, I also use a bibler winter bivy all under a tarp. I live in the mid-Atlantic area.

When going colder, I was thinking of putting my wifes WM HiLite (35* rated) bag in mine. With the straps adjustable on the Arc-A, I think I can prevent too much loft compression on the HiLite.

Will doubling of these bags work in creating enough warmth to go single digits or work at all????

Thanks in advance,

Chuck

Ryan Jordan
    Admin

@ryan

Locale: Central Rockies

Chuck: that’s a great system, actually. I’ve used it myself. I don’t much anymore, because I like to wear clothes to bed, including a winter parka, and the Highlite doesn’t offer the girth to accomodate a lot of clothes without compressing the loft of the bag and clothes. I’ve slept in a highlite and arc x down to about 10 below, in a tent, and was just fine.

Derek Hubbartt

@hubcap

I am looking at winter bags in the 0 deg F range, but I like the versatility this system would provide. I have a Marmot Hydrogen and wonder if using it in tandem with an Arc Alpinist would come close to achieving what I am looking for. Is the footbox on the Arc Alpinist large enough to accomodate a bag like the Hydrogen without significantly compressing the down?

Ryan Jordan
    Admin

@ryan

Derek – I think that the concept works, but yes, you’ll compress some down in the footbox. I haven’t perceived that to be a huge problem, but Nunatak does make a version with a larger footbox – the “Expedition Arc Alpinist” that alleviates this problem when using an inner bag.

Charles Maguire

@hikelite

Locale: Virginia

The great thing about Nunatak is that Tom will custom design your bag specifically for your needs. After one year I sent mine bag to add down, esp in footbox, to bring the rating down further and he was very accomodating. The only negative is that since these are custom made – expect a wait.

I did forget to mention in my initial post that I also use Nunataks down bacalava and it is my favorite piece of winter gear.

Chuck

Dane Burke

@dane

Locale: Western Washington

I am also planning on combining an Arc-style bag with a clothing system when the weather is cold. I am a little hesitant about spending $100 on Nunatak’s balaclava however. Are there any comparable alternatives?

Ryan Jordan
    Admin

@ryan

We are adding a “sleeping” / insulating balaclava to the Cocoon line. It will be available here for pre-purchase in February and should be shipping by March 20.

Here’s the specs:

– Pertex Quantum inner lining and shell
    – Cinchable face hood with wraparound snap shut chin
    – Long – down to the shoulders insulation with armpit straps (removable) to keep it secured
    – Polarguard Delta insulation, unscrimmed, uncrushed (see the Cocoon Pullover Page for more info on this)
    – Weight approx 3 oz
    – Quilted only on inner fabric so no cold spots

Should come in at around $59-$64 retail, something less than that for BPL subscribers.

David Reid

@davidr

The Cocoon balaclava sounds great. I’m certainly looking forward to it.

William Webber

@micwebbpl

What you propose, Ryan, sounds great. I actually came across a similar piece elsewhere on the internet some months ago, but wasn’t motivated to buy it because it was heavy for what it was (didn’t have attention to lightness you lavish on your own products).

However, that other item was really only a hood (plus the shoulder cover and underarm straps you describe for your new product). From your description above, your new product also sounds like a hood although you call it a balaclava – in the specs you didn’t refer to any front face cover – or am I reading it wrong?

I have also tried the GoLite snowcap, but (apart from getting a large enough size) it has two problems – still leaves the face exposed, with all that heat loss; and doesn’t cover the neck well.

Although I sleep in a “tube” style mummy bag – a GoLite without a mummy hood – I’d welcome an auxiliary piece like the insulated balaclava you describe, to extend the comfort range of my present system. I can also see value in it when using an “elephant’s foot” half-bag (I have the Wild Things Gear half-bag) in combination with a lightweight parka, or even with a Patagonia micropuff sweater. Your piece would definitely fit a missing part of the niche.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!