Topic

Heavy metals and H2o

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Heavy metals and H2o

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Paul Grube

@plosive

Locale: Above Cache Creek, CA

I am planning a 100 plus miles bushwhack backpacking adventure in S. AZ. The route would take my hiking partner and I along an intermittent river that we will use for a primary water source. My concern is that about 130 years ago the area was heavily mined with caustic chemicals (arsenic, mercury etc.) used in the precious metal extraction process. Will a product like Aquamira work better/worse than a heavier pump ceramic filter. What agency or organization would I contact in AZ regarding the current water safety information?
    Thanks, Plosive “light is right”

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Reading about Aqua Mira recently, I believe it can oxidize certain metals. However, I haven’t a clue about its actual effectiveness.

While awaiting more feedback, I think you should contact McNett directly and see what they say. I’ve written to them before, and they reply pretty quickly.

[email protected]

Dylan Skola
    BPL Member

@phageghost

Locale: Southern California

Yes, it probably can and does. Problem is that the metals are most likely already in their fully oxidized state, that is, with a positive charge, as this is what makes them soluble in water and easily absorbed by your body. And you’re still going to be drinking them. Now if you could reduce the metals (add electrons, opposite of oxidation) you might get them to precipitate out of solution. But then you’d have to have a way of getting rid of small metal particles (droplets, in the case of mercury). Maybe if you could spin a nalgene bottle overhead at a few thousand rpm . . .

Unfortunately, adsorptive filtration (w/ a carbon element) is probably the only way to remove those pesky heavy metals. There’s nothing you could add to your water to remove them.

Paul Grube

@plosive

Thanks for your suggestion Benjamin. I am waiting for McNett’s response and will post when I get it.

Nicholas Couis
    BPL Member

@nichoco

You could try using a floculant.If you go to an Army stoe they may have the 2 part water treatment kits.I first came across them in Africa.The first part is the floculant which makes all the crud in the water form a sludge type substance at the bottom and you then pour the water into another container leaving behind the sludge and then treat the water with your chemical treatment.
    The first time you see it work it is really weird.This also hepls keep filters clean when there is a lot of crap in the water.

Paul Grube

@plosive

I asked McNett this question and they wrote:
    Since we do not have testing data regarding the effectiveness of
    Aquamira against the caustic chemicals you listed, we cannot make
    specific recommendations. Probably the best thing to do is to contact
    the government or private agency that manages the trails where you will
    be traveling. They most likely will provide water treatment guidelines.

Plosive “light is right”

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!