Topic

Timewarp: Updates for Old Clothes

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Timewarp: Updates for Old Clothes

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    cushing hamlen

@chamlen

Locale: Minnesota

I am looking for recommendations for updates on an old, favorite, clothing system. Many moons ago (late 70’s, early 80’s) I did a lot of hiking in the White Mountains & tried to be as light as possible (all the great gear now available was not available then….).Problem: old clothes gone/threadbare, & (better?) equip available. So, the system I used to use was as follows (base to outer) cotton t-shirt, light wool shirt, crew-neck sweater, down vest, rain jacket. For colder conditions I would wear a cotton turtle-neck. (Please do not flame me for the cotton: polypro was not available then) This system worked really well for the Whites, where the valleys could be quite warm, and the summits quite cold. The real wonder was that wool shirt: it could be put on, but sleeves rolled up & left unbuttoned for warmer conditions, & progresssively “closed up” as conditions got colder. I figure with current materials, I still keep the outer rain-layer(breathable now), the down vest (it is light core-insulation insurance & doubles as a pillow, the sweater becomes a mid-to-heavy weight fleece. My “base” layer I would like to be a vented light long-sleeved “trekking” shirt: it offers no thermal value, but gives bug and sunlight protection (I did get some sunburn in that t-shirt). But now I am stuck for what to use for an initial, adjustable, thermal layer. The “expedition” weight polypro pullovers seem delicate, non-adjustable, and perhaps too hot. The next weight down seems not warm enough & still not adjustable. With all the new gear out there, am I still best-off using a new button-front wool shirt? Ok – so this might all sound overly a…-retentive, but the person from whom I learned the most about alpine hiking taught that you should never, never, never, sweat (out of hypothermia concerns). This advice has served me well, and hence the wish for “continuous” adjustability. Does anyone have any thoughts or advice regarding a piece or pieces to use?

Mark Verber
    BPL Member

@verber

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

You are asking a range of questions. Rather than answering all your specific questions, I will point you at my clothing notes http://www.verber.com/mark/outdoors/gear/clothing.html

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!