Topic

So many Crocs to choose from…?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) So many Crocs to choose from…?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    ben kohl

@benkohl

Locale: Northeast

Some got holes, some not, some many differnt types of crocs. Think we want to carry them, but sure we're not. What's your thoughts about Crocs…especially on thru-hikes?
    Much appreciated!

Creep and Honey

Thomas Knighton

@tomcat1066

Locale: Southwest GA

My thoughts are, why? I understand what traditional backpackers carry them, because their boots are heavy and they want something lighter for camp, but with lightweight trail running shoes? I just don't see the point. Then again, it will be a long time before I ever thru-hike anything so what do I know? ;)

Tom

Douglas Hus

@hustler

Locale: Ontario, Canada

Are they not one step above flip-flops?
    Did not think they would be durable enouph for trail use.
    Probably great around the camp though.
    Fairly light.

Doug

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

I never understood Crocs till I bought a pair (mine are Airwalk's from Paylaess Shoe Source). And then I got it!
    They are incredibly light, comfortable, waterproof-and you can hike in them if needed!
    All I know is I have to get out of shoes by the end of the day, and it doesn't matter if I am in boots or trail runners-I want out! In winter I can wear socks in the Crocs. They make great shoes to get in and out of your tent at night for pee runs.
    Honestly get the pair that fits you best! Mine are rather eyepopping in dayglo hot pink/blue tyedye….

PS: As for durability, you'd be surprised! Even the knockoffs are durable. People have hiked the Wonderland in them!

Colleen Clemens

@tarbubble

Locale: dirtville, CA

i've heard several reports of folks doing large portions of the JMT in Crocs. but FYI, do not buy the WalMart knockoffs. the plastic hinges will break very quickly.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Crocs are waterproof? :)

Colleen Clemens

@tarbubble

Locale: dirtville, CA

i reckon she meant that they don't absorb water.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Yeah. It was more a banter – hence the smiley.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Ben is just jealous of my sweet Airwalks. ;-)
    Of course, it should be said for one thing: Don't leave your Crocs in the sun for extended periods of time: they become shrinky dinkys and lose 1/2 a size!

As for knockoffs, Airwalks seem to be very durable, and are half the price.

I should note that I took my Chaco's on a trip this past summer, and though excellent for stream crossings, regretted I did not have my Croc's. The Croc's would not have chewed up my feet, and I could have worn socks (feet got chewed up due to no socks/dirt under Chaco bands)

Sitting in Seattle Park at Rainier having dinner in them….

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

george carr
    BPL Member

@hammer-one

Locale: Loco Libre Gear

I remember when Waldis came out and then Crocs and I thought how ridiculous, who would want to carry those? After trying on a pair at the local REI I thought, well, maybe… Not only do I now carry them on light weight hikes (they are comfy after a long mileage day in trailrunners), I wear them all around the house and sometimes out to the market. When I wear them out I will definitely replace them!!

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

I wear mine in the house every day — like slippers. They're 'impossible' to wear out. :)

Mine is a pair of Croc knockoff's as well — Airwalk from Payless Shoe Source – $14.99.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Yeah, but do you have sweet tyedyes? ;-)
    Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Honestly, I wear them all time at home also, and even on dayhikes have been known to carry them-they work great for lake dipping, and for driving home in!

cat morris

@catt

Locale: Alaska

Airwalk clogs (croc knock-offs) are on sale at Payless for $6

ben kohl

@benkohl

Locale: Northeast

Need a camp/town shoe
    Now I know what to do
    10 oz. and goofy too
    Crocs rock..i never knew.

thanks for the posts

Ben

Robert Kay

@ksaccounts

OK, I know I'm nuts, but, I drilled lots of holes in my Crocks to make them a little lighter. I attach them to the outside of my pack and use them for water fords. No problem as long as it's not a muddy bottom. They're great for camp shoes. On short trips, I carry very light weight waders so I can fly fish lakes and streams. I wear 'em over the waders — not great on slippery bottomed streams, but not that bad — and they weigh next to nothing. I wear them around he house, short trips to store, out to empty the garbage, etc. They are comfy, durable, and really ugly. Bob Kay – Kent, WA

Richard Stein

@buckaroobanzai

Based on recommendations on this site, I took them to complement my heavy high-cut boots on a 1 week Ansel Adams wilderness trip. The Crocs were invaluable. With socks, my feet were protected from mosquitoes. I could do light day hikes in them boulders and all! Walked right into a lake with them on to protect my sensitive feet finding secure footing. 5-10 mins later out of the water they were 90% dry without ever having taken them off.

My kids have been bugging me for some, but I didn't want to splurge so much. I'm going to try the cheapie Airwalks at Payless for them. Thanks for the tip.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

So, Crocs for yourself and cheapie Airwalks for your kids? Yup, it's why there will always be people packed away at nursing homes… :)

Ron Bell / MLD
    BPL Member

@mountainlaureldesigns

Locale: USA

Also check out quarkgear.com for what seems to be the lightest weight of all the Waddie/Croc copies, the Freedom, 3.4oz , womens, size unknown. Too bad not much selection for Men styles though, so I have not tried them.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Crocs / Airwalks are plenty light for me… but bulky though. Would love a manly version of QuarkGear's sandals — something that can be packed away more easily.

Philip Werner
    BPL Member

@earlylite

Locale: White Mountain National Forest

I just bought a pair of Waldies AT. In a size 9, they're supposed to wwigh 8.5 oz instead of 11.5 oz for size 8-9 crocs. Counting my ounces.

-Philip

Bryon Taylor

@airwalk

actually, the only reason our shoes are cheaper is because we killed alot of filler budget(marketing, inventory, etc) Their actually really good quality. Of course, I'm biased because I work here and have alot of respect for the guy that designs 'em, but as an avid backpacker who has climbed 12% of Colorado's 14'ers in them and logged at least 100 miles in my current pair…:)

6$ is a steal

check us out at airwalk.com

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!