Topic

Custom fit gloves?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Custom fit gloves?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Mark Thompson

@meshark

Locale: Midwest

Hello,

I've been trying to find the right pair of winter gloves, and can't seem to find anything that fits perfect. It seems most gloves are either normally 1cm short or long in more than one finger. So I was wondering, is there is anyone who makes custom fit gloves? Its something that has always kinda bugged me, not having the pefect fit glove, and I'd love to get some custom fit.

In terms of use and perfomance I'm not looking for anything crazy. I will mostly be using them around town. I live in the midwest, so its not too wet in the winter, just mostly windy. I'm not looking for anything bulky, or super heavy duty.

I think I once saw gloves that had a different cut for the seems. It had or claimed (I can't recall it if was in person, or else where) to have no seems along the finger tips. They may have been dead bird, I'll have to check out their site.

Thanks for the guidance,

Mark

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

What kind of winter glove are you looking for: fleece, wool, waterproof?
    I knit wool gloves and mittens for my family, as well as socks, but it's a time consuming endevour and I could not charge what it would take to pay myself enough. One suggestion I have, as far as wool gloves anyway, is to find a pair of gloves that are larger than you need, made with untreated wool, that will shrink ( felt) when washed. Then I would use them in the shower with soap, to wash yourself. Try and rub the area of the glove that fits loosest the most, until you get a glove that is shaped like your hand. It may take several rounds. Depending on the thickness you start out with, you may end up with a fairly bulky glove in the end.
    Good luck in your search.

Clint Wayman
    Spectator

@cwayman1

Locale: East Tennessee, US

If you are looking for a wool/ light insulating glove, I highly recommend the
    DeFeet Duraglove Wool. While they do tend to be a tad long in the fingers, they do NOT have seams across the tips. They are pretty warm, semingly durable (as the name suggests) in my limited use, under $20, and made in the USA.

No affiliation, just a fan.

Mark Thompson

@meshark

Kat: I think a knit wool glove is probably what I'm looking for. You could always PM me a figure, don't be shy if you feel its high. I wouldn't have an issue working with someone and spending more, or much more, compared to not getting just what I'm looking for at a store. In terms of the suggestion you listed is there a brand or type that you've seen that I could try and wash and rewash with?

Clint: I don't have long fingers per say, so I'm not sure if that would be the best way to go. I'll see if I can find them around locally so I can try a pair on.

Thanks for some tips and suggetions

Addison Page

@nihilist_voyager

Locale: Down the Rabbit Hole!

I have always hated gloves/ mittens/ anything hand insulation related. I could never find anything that fit me right, there was always something uncomfortable. And because I planned on using gloves to slightly boost my sleep system, comfort was very important. Most glove sizes only go up to L/XL and for some reason these are still too small. I'm 6'. By no means XL.

So one night I was just browsing around the hunting/camping section in Walmart, as this gear addict tends to do. Most stuff isn't something serious campers would want, all heavy and shoddily made, but I stumbled upon a shelf filled with Realtree brand gloves, and glove-mitten things, "waterproof"(yet to be tested) and varying for lightweight, middleweight to heavyweight, in terms of insulation.

Knowing I needed gloves I went ahead and started trying some on and what I noticed was that even the same weight, same size gloves all fit just a little differently (I think this goes back to the shoddily made part, but so far they are very durable). If I needed a bunch of gloves that all fit the same, this would suck, but no I just needed one pair that fit me right. So after trying on 20 pairs of gloves I finally found a pair that were right for me. I'm a hammocker so I like the fingerless glove/mitten thing. Mittens offer more warmth IMO while the glove part helps me tie knots and set my hammock up right.

And these gloves were only 6 bucks!

Sorry for the lengthy post, I just had a lot to say cause I've felt your pain.

Brian Austin

@footeab

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Well winter, use VBL.

Take hand draw outline on a piece of paper and mail to warmlite also known as stephenson and they will do a quick sew of a vapor barrier liner glove made from "fuzzy stuff". No, doesn't fix the Big insulator gloves but gives a nice fine glove which is what you want for dexterity most of the time. The insulating glove part can be overlarge and is actually rather nicer in the overlarge department.

Mark Thompson

@meshark

Addison: I'll have to check those out, seems like they may work.

Brain: The picture on their website they seem like they are fairly loose fitting? If you have used them before, how do they actually fit?

Sorry for the delayed response, I was out for the weekend.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools