Topic

100% Propane For Backpacking

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) 100% Propane For Backpacking

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 51 through 63 (of 63 total)
  • Author
    David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

>"And yet firearms are readily available. In a society where most politicians are avowed Christians."

Stuart: We're not allowed to bring our stoves on planes, so we just pray over our dinner and then shoot it a few times.

Bud Chapman
    Spectator

@budman5

Locale: Alaska

Thanks HJ I snagged one of those adapters..

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

Well, I'll just stick to what is the safest, which is the designated fuel/canister as is recommended by the manufacturer. For cold weather an inverted canister set-up should be fine; still waiting to test out the new WindPro, but I will probably just stick with liquid gas stoves.

I want to keep my eyebrows, beard and hair in place :)

Stuart R
    BPL Member

@scunnered

Locale: Scotland

The thing about google is getting the right search terms.

Once I had "Sievert propane 2208" I came up with a few UK suppliers for the Sievert 100% propane 380g canisters. One claimed the manufacturer was Primus. Not cheap, but if you were planning on camping in serious cold…

USA Duane Hall
    BPL Member

@hikerduane

Locale: Extreme northern Sierra Nevada

I may try this out with my Coleman Xtreme stove, would save using the Power Max canisters and be hotter I think. Correct HJ? Of course I will have two adapters in a row to make it work. Let me think on this about the adapters. Hmm.
    Duane

Hikin’ Jim
    BPL Member

@hikin_jim

Locale: Orange County, CA, USA

I may try this out with my Coleman Xtreme stove, would save using the Power Max canisters and be hotter I think. Correct HJ? Of course I will have two adapters in a row to make it work. Let me think on this about the adapters. Hmm.

Duane,

You should definitely have more pressure which may give you a hotter flame. "Stacking" the adapters should work, but it will be a little kludgey. Just bring your Rapidfire and the one adapter. One of the big advantages of the Xtreme is the fuel. Absent a Powermax canister, other stoves become nearly as good.

HJ

Keith Bassett

@keith_bassett

Locale: Pacific NW

Contacted him on Friday, and he reposted an auction on Saturday. I bought one yesterday and he shipped it within the day.

$25 is a bit painful, but he appears to be a solid seller.

Now I just have to be patient for 15 days while it clears customs, etc. :)

Hikin’ Jim
    BPL Member

@hikin_jim

Yeah, $25 is a bit much when you consider a decent gas stove costs $40.

I doubt there will be some great groundswell of demand for them. Most car campers will just get a stove already set up for propane. Most backpackers will find the adapter too heavy, too expensive, and too much trouble.

But for those who want to use gas in much colder weather, this adapter will allow that. It also opens up a new fuel. One of the reasons I got interested in the adapter was that a guy I know likes to fly to rural New Mexico to hike. He can find propane all over the place but no backpacking type canisters. This adapter allows him to use a standard backpacking stove. A bit of a kludge, but it allows him to do the hiking he enjoys.

HJ
    Adventures In Stoving

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

There are two kinds of propane tanks

the little ones for camping stoves or torches for soldering copper plumbing pipes

and there are big tanks that are several gallons that are refillable and can be used for barbecuers or RVs

I assume you're talking about a connecter that goes from the little tanks to a Lindal fitting for like a Pocket Rocket or Gnat?

Hikin’ Jim
    BPL Member

@hikin_jim

There are two kinds of propane tanks. The little ones for camping stoves or torches for soldering copper plumbing pipes. And there are big tanks that are several gallons that are refillable and can be used for barbecuers or RVs

I assume you're talking about a connecter that goes from the little tanks to a Lindal fitting for like a Pocket Rocket or Gnat?

Hi, Jerry,

Yes, I'm talking about portable 100% propane canisters of the type typically used for car camping stoves and lanterns or propane torches.

The adapter from Kovea mates such propane canisters with standard threaded backpacking stoves.

HJ
    Adventures In Stoving

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

The propane in those containers is much cheaper than the Lindel canisters, I'm sure. But it would take many canisters before you made up the cost of the connector.

Hmmm…

Hikin’ Jim
    BPL Member

@hikin_jim

Jerry,

I don't think cost is the main motivator on this adapter. The ability to use gas in cold and the ability to use a more widely available type of gas in rural areas are the main reasons to use the adapter.

By the way, standard threaded canisters aren't the only ones with Lindal valves. Camping Gaz, Powermax, Rando360, etc, canisters are all Lindal valved canisters too.

HJ
    Adventures In Stoving

USA Duane Hall
    BPL Member

@hikerduane

Locale: Extreme northern Sierra Nevada

Thanks HJ for explaining why some like the adapter or another fuel option. If they could see what the stovies have done with converting gas stoves to propane or isobutane. Thanks also for mentioning my using an adapter with my Rapidfire. Of course all of this isn't aimed at the SUL or UL bper. We need something to talk about over the slow months while we wait for snow to show up so we can do another snow trip of the new season.

Duane

Viewing 13 posts - 51 through 63 (of 63 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!