Topic

Cannot remove the Leki Carbide tips from my GG Poles

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Cannot remove the Leki Carbide tips from my GG Poles

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Bryce
    BPL Member

@antigroundhogday

Locale: Stamford, CT

Been trying like heck to remove these tips from my GG KT4s poles:
    http://www.backcountryedge.com/leki-carbide-flextips-pair.aspx

I looked on youtube, and whacked them with the crescent wrench, then stuck the tips in hot water (to expand the plastic) and whacked them…still no luck.

Little help?

Steven Paris
    BPL Member

@saparisor

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I have no actual experience doing this, but was looking up the same thing recently (for a different pole).

Anyway, it seems that boiling water should do the trick. How long did you "soak" the pole for? My understanding is that you shouldn't have to whack too hard once the adhesive has loosened enough.

Bryce
    BPL Member

@antigroundhogday

I soaked it for 30-40 seconds I reckon. Smacked the heck out of it. I wonder if GG uses some adhesive vs. stock Leki poles?

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

Now that you have probably violated any guarantee on the poles, did it ever occur to you that the tips are not intended to be removed?

Most hikers would be complaining if the tips were coming off.

–B.G.–

Bryce
    BPL Member

@antigroundhogday

Not sure why they offer replacement Leki tips on their website if they weren't meant to come off….just like every other Leki trekking pole out there. Otherwise they'd ask you to send them in for replacing the tips. *shrugs*

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

A lot of items like this are stuck together with an industrial-grade epoxy. The only normal way to crack it loose is by application of a fair amount of heat, like by a butane pencil torch.

However, I would be more interested to hear what the Gossamer Gear people said when you asked them this question. I mean, they are the ones who ought to know. Yes?

–B.G.–

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

On a carbon pole I would never smack straight down on the tip just because. You need to boil it longer probably.

On my aluminum poles I place on slightly elevated surface so tip is over the edge, put foot on pole a little above tip (to keep pole stationary), and use hammer plus screwdriver tip to tap downward (longitudinal to pole) to remove the pole tip. I would probably try the same with a carbon pole, but being a little more careful.

peter vacco

@fluffinreach-com

Locale: no. california

the tips are not glued on. at least several sets of mine were not. it's just held on a taper. you need to heat them for some time, as the nylon material transfers heat very slowly.
    they will probably not "whack" off with impact, they should more easily twist off though. sufficient grip can be had on the pole with rubber kitchen gloves or such. the pole tip can be held quite nicely in a small'ish pipe wrench. (no NOT wrench/vise on the shaft)
    Leki tips twist right off, it's not an issue.

more : consider that for every user that changes his tips, there are hundreds whom do not, and never will. but for 100% ALL of us, if a tip falls off, it's a big pain in the shorts. For Leki, this can generate perhaps a whining customer. It's all bad.
    so : Leki is going to do everything in their power to keep tips from coming adrift in use.

good luck !
    v.

Ike Jutkowitz
    BPL Member

@ike

Locale: Central Michigan

Hi Bryce,
    I went through this about a year ago. The tips are glued on with superglue. GG recommends soaking them in warm water as you've done, holding the edge of a prybar against the tip without contacting the pole, and giving a hard whack with a hammer.

Sounds super easy, but it didn't work for me either and after a number of tries, I got worried that I'd damage the poles. Thankfully, Michael Seals over at GG offered to do it for me. I just paid shipping and the nominal cost of new tips and had them back within a week. You should write to them, they are good people.

Ryley Breiddal
    Spectator

@ryleyb

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I used a sharp knife to whittle the tips off. I tried a bunch of other methods that didn't work nearly as well. After you get the tip off, don't glue your new tip on, it'll stay on fine with just friction.

Or send them to GG, they'll do it for you for free* (+ shipping).

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!