Topic

Arc’teryx Alpha LT Sizing

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Arc’teryx Alpha LT Sizing

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Dan Smith

@dcsmith

All,

I'm hoping someone with more experience can help me guage size on the Arc'teryx Alpha LT jacket. I don't have an outfitter locally to try one of these on, and since these cost 1 arm and 1 leg, I want to get this purchase right if I can find one at a discount.

Currently I wear a size large in a Montbell UL inner jacket. I want the Arc'teryx piece to fit over this. I'm 5'-11" and currently 195 lbs, on my way down to 180-185 with a 43" chest. I'm wide shouldered. Arc'teryx calls these LT jackets an "expedition" fit. Normally I'd get a rain coat in XL to layer over everything. Can I get by with a size large since I think they run a tad oversize?

I never want to replace another waterproof rain jacket again. Would any of you opt for another jacket over the Alpha LT in either Arc'teryx or another brand? This will be used for backpacking, camping, fishing, and other outdoor related activities when it's pooring down rain..

Thanks in advance.

Dan

Konrad .
    BPL Member

@konrad1013

You're in luck buddy. I have at home an arcteryx alpha SV (heavier duty version of the LT but same cut) and a montbell UL down inner. I'm at work, but when I get home tonight, i'll check fit. I'll tell you this though, for the money and weight, I think you're better off going with an eVent jacket, or a UL rain jacket (like a marmot essence or mica) for your intended purposes. The Alpha series is really meant for a specific application (mountaineering, and alpine use that's subject to really harsh conditions). For basic backpacking and hiking, save your money and get something more suitable/comfortable.

Either way, I'll check in again tonight and update this thread.

Dan Smith

@dcsmith

I have a 2005 Marmot Essence Jacket that's made from the Precip material and it wets out in extended rain. I know the new Essence Jackets are different material and more robust. I'm not familiar with the Mica or Super mica Jackets, but want something bombproof that will hold up to pack straps and keep me bone dry if I have to sit through a 3-4 hour rainstorm at a football game or out in the field.

I'll look forward to your feedback. thanks again.

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

Konrad .
    BPL Member

@konrad1013

Dan, i just checked…fit is very good. No pinching of loft, no tightness around arms, armpits, chest etc. Overall, very good mobility…I wouldn't worry about layering.

When you say that your old precip would wet out, do you mean that water would stop beading, or is water actually going through the jacket?

I still think for the money and weight, 3-layer eVent is superior, and durable enough.

Dan Smith

@dcsmith

My clothes underneath get soaked in prolonged rain even with the DWR renewed with nikwax.

I look to see if I can find any good deals on a Super Mica since I would like to have pit zips, and will do some additional research. I do, however, like the idea of the Alpha LT, but don't like the price tag. It does sound like the Large would get me where I'm going.

Thanks for checking the size for me. Your time and efforts are appreciated.

Dan

Dustin Short
    BPL Member

@upalachango

The MB Inner is pretty thin so I would suggest getting your normal size (a large). I'm usually a size small, including my MB inner and I have a size med LT which is huge. It's great for my purposes of layering over much thicker insulating layers, but too big for use just with the inner (well not really, just bigger than the more svelte cut I prefer).

If you have access to a gamma mx the following email exchange I had with Arc'Teryx may help you.

Quote:
    The Alpha LT jacket will be approximately 7.5cm/3" wider in the chest, 9cm/3.5" in wider in the waist and 4cm/1.5" wider in the hem as well as 2cm/3/4" longer in sleeve length than a Gamma MX jacket of the same size. There are small 2cm tolerances +/- within each measurement that is why we can't say exactly. However, it should be enough room to layer a 300 weight fleece underneath. Most Gore-tex jackets will be looser fitting even though they state athletic fit on both if you are comparing it to a softshell or fleece jacket.

Arc'teryx Service Team
    ARC'TERYX Equipment Inc.
    http://www.arcteryx.com

Summary: Service Forms: ASKSPCL Customer No 137317
    Question:
    I have a Gamma MX in size small. I'm looking to purchase an Alpha LT for year round use. I love the fit of the Gamma MX and wondered how a small Alpha LT compares to a small gamma mx. Your site says they're both athletic cut. In winter I worry that a small might be too trim for a big down puffy underneath, my gamma mx fits a 300wt fleece and not much else. Granted most of my use will be on the move, so I would only wear the puffy during idle periods in camp. When not wearing the puffy, I don't want a garbage bag hanging off me (or during the summer) I am 5'11" and 150lbs. I have a 37" chest that expands to 38" when inhaling. I guess I really just need to know how the cut of a small and med Alpha LT compares to a small gamma mx. Actual specs (eg 1" wider) would work too. Thanks!
    Andrew F

@andrew-f

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

I'm 5'11 and 175 lbs and I have a medium Alpha LT. I can fit a big down jacket (MH Phantom) under it just fine. The sizing is generous as it's intended to go over insulating layers. I don't wear it backpacking anymore since I got a North Face Triumph, which is 1/2 the weight. Have had no issues with water resistance or durability with the Triumph. The Alpha LT is incrementally more breathable, and very durable (I bring it when I'm going climbing.)

Andrew

t.darrah
    BPL Member

@thomdarrah

Locale: Southern Oregon

I wear a medium in Arcteryx and for me the Alpha LT is roomier then both the Alpha SL and Alpha FL jackets. It is not a big difference but noticeable – to me.

Tad Englund
    BPL Member

@bestbuilder

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Dan, I have the Alpha SV in a large. I'm 6'2 and 175 (normal shoulders), I just tried a few insulating options over a R1 weight fleece that I happen to have on, I tried: MB inner jacket, Patty micro puff, FA Down sweater and all of them fit just fine with no restrictions.
    I agree with Konrad- "I still think for the money and weight, 3-layer eVent is superior, and durable enough"

Trill Daddy
    BPL Member

@persianpunisher

6'1 190lbs. I wear a Large Alpha LT. ( actually recently got rid of mine, no need for Goretex in the rockies IMO)

I can fit my Down sweater hoody under it no problem.

Get the large, trust me.

Best,

Bobby

Dan Smith

@dcsmith

Thanks for all the comments. I'll look into and do some further research on some of the 3 layer event jackets if they hold up just as well and probably will be cheaper.

Mark Thompson

@meshark

Locale: Midwest

Dan,
    I'm not sure if you're still in the Kansas city metro or not but there are two dealers in overland park. Backwoods and dynamic earth. In fact they are pretty much across the street from each other. I personally prefer dynamic earth, but both are nice.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!