Topic

Altoids tin kits

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Altoids tin kits

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Altoids tin

There have been a couple threads on survival gear and another on small items and the old Altoids tin survival kit came to mind. The small tin measures 3-3/4"x2-3/8"x7/8" and weighs 1.2oz. They are popular as a case for a pocket survival kit and I have been impressed at the ingenuity of the list of items that people have managed to fit in one. I like the idea from the ultralight perspective in that it demands using a defined space to get a particular job done. The tin could be used for any collection of gear, from survival items, a fishing kit, or perhaps a collection of herbs, spices, sugar packets or tea for trail cooking, or just a catch-all container like a ditty bag to keep all the small stuff organized.

Altoids tin survival kits typically have items from the list of hiking essentials, along with a selection of items for improvising and repair. There is an emphasis on pocket carry, so the kit is always with you.

Items that are commonly included (not necessarily all at once):

*Matches
    *Tinder
    *Firesteel
    *Mini Bic lighter
    *Candle
    *Single edge razor blade
    *GI "P-38" can opener
    *Small gauge wire
    *Floss
    *Spectra fishing line
    *Fish hooks
    *Fishing split shot weights
    *Duct tape
    *Hotel "freebie" style sewing kit
    *Safety pins
    *Pencil stub or pen refill
    *Photon micro light
    *Button compass
    *Whistle
    *Signal mirror (or use polished lid on container)
    *Water purification tablets
    *Condom or small bag for water
    *Wire saw
    *Tick tweezers
    *Super glue
    *Hard candy
    *Band aids
    *Antibiotic
    *Sunscreen
    *Insect repellent
    *Alcohol gel hand cleaner
    *Medications
    *Aluminum foil
    *Esbit tablets
    *Rubber band(s) — on the outside to keep it closed.

Anybody use one?

Jonathan Kreusch

@awakeru

what's it weigh?

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

The tins are 1.2oz. The list is simply items that some people put in them and as I wrote, not everything on the list. I think the real value is in having a set volume to keep extras under control.

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

This guy did a great series on his personal survival kit (in an altoid tin) and demonstrated using it for an overnight. He is a former sere instructor and boundary waters guide. He is also a moderator for bushcraft usa and runs a free online "school" of sorts called bushclass usa.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJ6DzPLO8lY
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73tnYav0tu0&feature=related

YouTube video

Simon Wurster
    BPL Member

@einstein

Locale: Big Apple

I moved onto the plastic ones, mainly because they're inherently waterproof, while the Altoids tins are not.

I have two, one is from a Japanese supermarket and has the brand name Takeya, and what could be the series name, Porro, on it. Unfortunately, the USA website doesn't list these containers. I have one of the smallest, 110 ml capacity, about 2 7/8" x 1 3/16" on the inside. It has a simple snap lid, and weighs 1.3 oz. Right now it contains some dryer lint in a tiny zip-loc bag, a mini Bic, a sawed-off ballpoint pen refill (also a pen from a Swiss Army knife), a tiny soy sauce container refilled with contact lens solution, two tiny single-use eye droppers (from a pack of 25), a tiny MontBell compass, a Black Crater cord-lock light, and nail clippers for a baby, with room to spare. I know a Kershaw Two Can knife will also fit. (I've gone thru several iterations, and I don't think I brought this on my last trip. Nail clippers? Really? LOL)

The other is from the Container Store and has the brand name Sistema, and the series name Klip It on it. Sistema is from New Zealand. The Klip It has some clamps that secure the lid like the Lock & Lock brand, affording a very secure connection. The one I have is 200 ml capacity, about 4" x 2.5" on the inside. It weighs 2.0 oz. I just got this, so I haven't had a chance to fill it up.

On a related note, I switched to a Gladware Entree container on my last trip to hold all my sundries. The Entree size weighs 1.4 oz. and holds a lot, and keeps everything dry. I was tired of using a Zip-Loc bag for these items (which often fail) and the hard shell of this container made it very easy to find inside my pack with one hand. It contained my camera remote, phone battery, sunblock, duct tape, Mini 123 flashlight, Zebralight H30 w/JakStrap (yup, flashaholic), MicroPur (6 tabs), waterproof paper, earplugs, and a micro Sharpie marker with room to spare. (I'm still perfecting the contents.) It also made a nice durable "valet" of sorts in my tent at night for my wallet, knife, wedding band, and earplugs. Definitely a keeper. Rubbermaid has a similar item, weighs the same, holds less, but seems like slightly more durable construction.

Joseph Reeves
    Spectator

@umnak

Locale: Southeast Alaska

use duct or electric tape to seal the container and have ready access if needed

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

Instead of an Altoids tin, I pack my winter emergency stuff in a flimsy bag that fits inside a 1.2-oz titanium Sierra cup. That way, the cup/container is the water boiling vessel. Two rubber bands keep the flimsy bag inside the cup, and that fits into one cargo pocket on my trousers.

–B.G.–

Pete Wilson

@muddy-pete

Locale: east coast

I have a few Altoids kits. I tried making an all in one kit and found it too limiting. I have also used Red Bull bottles, prescription medicine bottles and the tubes that Nuun tablets come in. My preference is for Omni-Seal 4"x6" vinyl pouches. More comfortable in pocket then the metal tins and a little bit larger.

I use sections of bicycle inner tubes cut into large bands. They will seal the altoids tin and are easy to put back on when you want to close the kit back up.

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

A Q-tip container is what I use for a few survival items, but lately I have not taken it on backpacking trips. They weigh 16 g, are a little smaller than an altoids tin, and can be had for $1 at several stores.

http://thecoupontrainer.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/Qtips.jpg

Pete Wilson

@muddy-pete

Here is an Altoids mini kit that I have been playing with.

Mini Altoids1

Basic button compass, dog tag knife, firestarting tool & tinder quik, aspirin, fishing line and a peice of char cloth.

Mini Altoids2

My buddy likes cigars and gives me the empty tubes, which can be cut down.

Cigar tubes

Pete Wilson

@muddy-pete

Altoids fishing kit.

AFK

Tin for charcloth.

Charcloth tin

Small match safe kit with waterproof matches and striker, Speedy Awl needle, tinder and a firestarting tool. Duct tape on the outside.

Orangematchcase1

Also will fit in the Altoids tin is a signal mirror made from auto repair material. It's half the thickness of a standard signal mirror.

homemade signal mirror

Pete Wilson

@muddy-pete

Other tins I've tried.

Other tins

round tin

Kit tool

Cmultitool

Altoids2

Red Bull bottle kit.

Red Bull

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Pete, thanks for the great input! I like that small piece of sandpaper.

I've wrestled with the idea handle-less firesteels— can you get enough grip on one with cold wet hands?. I epoxied one to the outside of a match case, with scraper, tinder, and matches inside. I've thought about epoxying one to the outside of a tin. The Light My Fire mini works okay there, although that is on my pocket/key ring version of a survival kit.

Pokcet survival items

Diane Pinkers
    BPL Member

@dipink

Locale: Western Washington

Dale, how heavy is your KM matchcase? I was suprised by the dimensions and heft of the brass long ones, guess I didn't really pay attention to the dimensions on the web-site.

Pete Wilson

@muddy-pete

Thanks Dale,

The firestarting tool in the little Altoids tin came with the ARS dog tag knife. A few of the others same from Survival.com online store and Firesteel.com They are all pretty decent but yes, cold, wet hands make using them a challenge.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Diane asked, "Dale, how heavy is your KM matchcase?"

My long aluminum model is 1.2oz empty and 1.4oz with matches, strikers, and a "no-blow-out" joke birthday candle. It is roughly 4-1/2" x 7/8". I use the long version to work with the REI/UCO storm matches.

I think it is an excellent study in function and design and always there if I need it.

Ike Jutkowitz
    BPL Member

@ike

Locale: Central Michigan

The smaller the kit, the more likely it is that I have it on me when I need it. I've been using a film canister. This weighs 0.2 oz. In it, I carry:

Cotton ball tinder
    Safety pins
    Coil of wire
    hooks, sinkers
    Large eye needle
    fishing line (coiled around the outside and secured with electrical tape)
    Dental floss (as above)

Around my neck I wear my knife with firesteel and spectra cord wrap.
    In winter, I carry a second canister with larger supply of tinder.

Diane Pinkers
    BPL Member

@dipink

Locale: Western Washington

Ok, Dale, next question, what are the two little pods on the keyring? I can identify the Classic and a whistle, a flashlight and firesteel, but there are two little metal pods that I assume unscrew to something useful, but wasn't sure what.

also, I see you have the strikers for the storm matches jammed in the case–I take it that the striking surface on the inside of the cap doesn't work well for these matches? haven't had a chance to try it, but was going to experiment.

Pete Wilson

@muddy-pete

Keychain pill bottle and Zippo. I have two of the little pill bottles on my EDC keys. One for meds and the other I keep a Tinderquik tablet.

EDC keys

Nick Brown

@ojsglove

Locale: Highland Park

Howdy,

This is my first post here. 3 year lurker. I'd like to say thank you to everyone for providing so much useful information.

I use an Altoids Smalls tin to keep my fire starter in. I use about a quarter sized diameter dollop of Murray's 100% beeswax pomade with 3/4" of jute twine wound in it. I wrap it in wax paper which ignites easily. I leave the starter in the tin which stops the wax from running away when it melts. In fairly sheltered conditions this combo will burn for 20 minutes! The tin survives the fire for reuse.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Diane wondered, "Ok, Dale, next question, what are the two little pods on the keyring?

….also, I see you have the strikers for the storm matches jammed in the case–I take it that the striking surface on the inside of the cap doesn't work well for these matches?"

The little pods are called spy capsules and are waterproof aluminum containers with a screw-on top and an o-ring seal. The larger one is from Bison Designs and you can get them at REI. The larger one has about 4 Tinder-Quick tabs inside– treated cotton that is used for fire starting. You could use cotton balls coated with petroleum jelly in the same way. The premise is that dry tinder is one of the mist critical first steps to get a fire going in wet weather, which is near universal in Western Washington hiking. The smaller capsule contains personal medication. You can get larger ones that look like a mini SCUBA tank.

There is a whole cult of small carry cases, capsules and survival tools like this with the EDC (Every Day Carry) crowd. http://edcdepot.com/survivaltools.aspx

The inside of the cap on my K&M match case is milled aluminum. You must use the red phosphorous striker to get the REI/UCO storm matches to light– they are not "strike anywhere" type matches.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!