Topic

Pot supports on Thermojet Microlite Stove

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Pot supports on Thermojet Microlite Stove

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Gregory Doggett

@gregory

Locale: Mid-Atlantic

I was using my new Thermojet Microlite stove this weekend and lamenting the heavy steel 1/8″ pot support rods.
    I thought it would be great to have a pair of titanium tent stakes that would double as pot supports. The Hi-viz 6″ stakes I have from BPL, in their standard titanium model, would be too short.
    Has anyone out there found a longer titanium stake that works double duty as pot supports for this stove?
    GND

Tim Cheek
    BPL Member

@hikerfan4sure

Gregory Doggett

@gregory

Locale: Mid-Atlantic

The 7″ ultralight model might just do the trick.
    Thanks,
    GND

Carol Brown
    Spectator

@brownwetdog

Locale: Idaho

If you do try the Vargo stakes, would you please post how they fit in the stove(what size you purchased) and how they work with the Thermojet? Thanks, CB

Patrick Baker

@wildman

http://www.backcountryequipment.com/accessrs/tent-stakes.html

… is a great link for tent stakes.

I am looking to order some of the
    Vargo Ascent series for hopefully better performance in sand/loose soil than my other Vargo Ti stakes.

Timothy Chauran

@timchauran

If you have the smaller model Thermojet stove, the 6″ HiVis titanium tent stakes sold on BPL work just fine, altho the first time you use them, the orange powdercoating will bubble and burn off the stake. I took a small piece of sandpaper and removed the residue/remainder of the paint in about 30 seconds. The titanium is not affected by the heat. Although I believe the weight differential from the “stock” steel supports supplied with the stove is negligible, what’s most appealing to me is the double-duty aspect of using my tent stakes for pot supports. The larger model stove may indeed require longer stakes, but the 6″ stakes may also work if you straighten out the slight bend before the hooked portion of the stake to make it longer, then slightly decrease the hook radius so the stake can be inserted further int o the combustion chamber holes…

Anonymous

I stumbled across this site (http://www.angelfire.com/or2/hikelight/acc_cooking.html) recently and believe they have the simplest/lightest/smallest pot support for my Pepsi Stove. You can make it from 2 bike spokes and a short length of thin wire—used to wrap the 2 legs together. Its best feature is that it folds flat for storage. I use mine inverted from what’s shown in the picture. This gives 3 single contact points to your pot and minimizes the amount of heat lost to the pot support structure. Also pot support is more stable on sand/loose soil when used inverted.

Steve

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!