Topic

Lightweight Integrated Canister Fuel Cooking Systems State of the Market Report 2011: Part 1 – Overview and Performance Evaluation

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Editor’s Roundtable Lightweight Integrated Canister Fuel Cooking Systems State of the Market Report 2011: Part 1 – Overview and Performance Evaluation

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 51 through 58 (of 58 total)
  • Author
    Tony Beasley
    BPL Member

@tbeasley

Locale: Pigeon House Mt from the Castle

My Jeboil PCS (primus valve) the jet size is 0.21 mm with such a small jet I suspect even the older JetBoil valves have some form of pressure regulator or gas flow control in them, I am unable to pull the valve apart to check.

Other stove jet sizes, Gnat 0.32 mm, Kovea Supalite Ti 0.30 mm, MSR Pocket Rocket 0.34 mm, One Road 153g remote canister stove 0.40 mm.

Some of these jets have different jet hole designs, the JB, Kovea and PR all have flat tops on the jet but the Gnat and one road stoves have tapered holes and the smallest part of the hole is below the surface.

Tony

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

"the Gnat and one road stoves have tapered holes and the smallest part of the hole is below the surface."

What does that accomplish?

–B.G.–

Jim Sweeney
    BPL Member

@swimjay

Locale: Northern California

Levon, thanks for the Amazon tip. Purchased one, but notice that the price on Amazon, as of today, is back up to 145. — possibly because of the buzz generated by this review!

Now the best price (for the next few minutes, anyway) seems to be at:
    CombatTactical.com

Ben Pearre
    BPL Member

@fugue137

Where can I go backpacking and see the night-time low of -15C warm to 10C by breakfast? Isn't any discussion of melting snow rather speculative when the canister is used in such a warm environment? The canister should warm sufficiently to boil the isobutane in within 5 minutes, right? Another consequence: slower burn rates will look better for this test without reflecting real-world performance.

I was very much looking forward to a test of the regulator stoves. To what extent does a regulator improve performance of isobutane/propane canisters operating (upright) at, say, -15C, or even -5C, throughout the lifetime of the canister? I don't see why they'd improve cold-weather performance at all. [edit–oops, I posted this before I'd read through the whole thread. I see now that I'm right about regulators, but I'm still curious about -5C performance.]

Also, I'd love to see tests in stronger winds.

James Klein
    BPL Member

@jnklein21

Locale: Southeast

I crunched the numbers on Ryan's 30x.7L boils on a 100gram canister claim….

I think he is off by a factor of 2 — maybe he meant he used a 200gr canister?

I come up with (based on fuel energy denisty and water heat capacity):

100gr of fuel is capable of raising the temp of 21L of water by about 57C or ~100F (ie if each .7L started with water @ ~50F then each could make it to ~150F). This assumes 100% of the heat makes it to the water, I bet this efficiency is closer to 75%.

Maybe Stuart or Roger can check my math.

Inaki Diaz de Etura
    BPL Member

@inaki-1

Locale: Iberia highlands

> I think he is off by a factor of 2

that was also my conclusion back up in the thread

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Hi James

Yeah, an efficiency of 75% would be very high. It may have been a 230 g canister: that would be quite consistent with my experience.

Cheers

Hikin’ Jim
    BPL Member

@hikin_jim

Locale: Orange County, CA, USA

Stuart Robb wrote: > Jim – If you or anyone else has access to a JB Sol and some copper wires in the range AWG 20 to 30, it could help answer this conjecture to know which size of wire will just fit inside the jet.

I'm a little late, but to follow up on this question:
    The JetBoil PCS, Flash, and Zip have a jet aperture size of 0.21mm
    The JetBoil Sol and Sol Ti have a jet aperture size of 0.30mm

It would seem that indeed the jet size may explain what we're seeing in Will's graphic where the PCS, Flash, and Zip have a noticeable fall off in performance but the Sol and Sol Ti do not.

HJ
    Adventures In Stoving

Viewing 8 posts - 51 through 58 (of 58 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!