Topic

Anyone use waterproof socks?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Anyone use waterproof socks?

Viewing 7 posts - 26 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    Alasdair Fowler

@messiahkhan

Locale: Newcastle, UK

Thanks for the comments guys. I have used plastic bags a few times. I have just come back from a week in the Outer Hebrides in Scotland. It was VERY wet and windy, and the plastic bags worked fairly well. Used heavy weight freezer bags after the light weight ones tore straight away.

Has anyone tried making a slightly more permanent solution of the plastic bag idea, ie making something like Cuben Fibre oversocks?

Andy F
    Spectator

@andyf

Locale: Midwest/Midatlantic

I used the Rocky GoreTex socks this winter and like them. I wear size 10 shoes normally, but use size 12 Rocky socks. They're a little big, so size 11 might actually have been a better fit. But, they worked fine. Too loose is better than too tight. You don't want to restrict circulation when you're trying to keep your feet warm. I had them over a thick wool sock and a thin polypro liner.

Arapiles .
    BPL Member

@arapiles

Locale: Melbourne

I had Sealskin socks but lost them somewhere over the last few years … but I have been using Sealskin gloves for cycling with in the Melbourne winter: the rain went straight through them – they were as wet in as out – plus the knitted outer fabric gets waterlogged and stays that way.

I did see a colleague who's a serious cyclist using the Gore waterproof socks.

simon hackett

@minimalgear

Locale: UK

Wiggle in the UK used to stock the Gore , Gore tex socks but they're out. PTC* (Uk blogger)suggests they're the second best after Rocky's and a lot better fit than the Trekmates amphipians. I have a pair and the fit is pretty good- they stay up as well.The sizing runs a little small. They've not been used in anger yet though.

Jared D
    BPL Member

@jaredd

I have bought RANDY SUN waterproof socks for hiking and running. They fit my feet perfectly and are very comfortable.They also have many tyles and lengths, and they are indeed waterproof and breathable, so if you’re interested here’s their official website http://www.randysun.com

Arthur
    BPL Member

@art-r

My experience with Randy Sun socks it that they leak after a short time.  Tried 2 different pairs. They function like most neoprene socks, keep you warm, but not dry.  I test them by putting my feet in a bucket of cold water not over the top of the sock, so I know that this is not body moisture. I can feel the cold water coming in.

Josh J
    BPL Member

@uahiker

Anyone have experience with showers pass or leakdry?

Viewing 7 posts - 26 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!