Topic

Anyone use waterproof socks?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Anyone use waterproof socks?

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    Alasdair Fowler

@messiahkhan

Locale: Newcastle, UK

Has anyone used waterproof socks, especially with trail runners? I am tweaking my PCT kit list for next year and am tempted to include a pair of Sealskinz waterproof socks for wetter days and river crossings etc. The trainers I am likely to use are the Inov8 Rocklite 315 (Have bought a pair to test out this summer and autumn.) So far they seem very breathable and cool. The air blows right through them, but I can't help but think I would get cold feet if I am crossing a lot of snow fields or on colder, rainy days. I am interested to hear if people have tried them, and if they work when the water level comes above the top of the sock? :)

drowning in spam

@leaftye

Locale: SoCal

They're unlikely to be tall enough to make them worth using for creek crossings. If you only used them for creek crossings, I'm sure you'd quickly find that they're too much of a hassle to deal with. I find that my feet don't have a problem staying warm when I'm hiking. If I were you, I wouldn't bother with them in southern California, and then maybe order them just in time to pick up at KM.

Alan Greene
    Spectator

@alangreene3

I'm curious to see the replies here. I just picked up a pair myself, for the JMT this summer. Just like these: http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Cabelas-Gore-tex-Goretex-Socks-Size-11-Non-Ins-/280613470995

I haven't had the chance to hike in them yet. The fit seems off, they are the right length but seem to fit very loose. Is the fit similar in other brands. I imagined them fitting fairly tight.

Alasdair Fowler

@messiahkhan

Yeah, I would probably leave them in the bounce box for Socal. I was more thinking of the snow fields and rivers in the High Sierras and the rain/snow of the cascades. I know physically they aren't tall enough for river crossings, but wondered if the elasticated top of the sock was tight enough to stop water getting in the sock during river crossings.

k web

@kbweb

Locale: Tacoma, WA

I have't tested them out yet inside my trail runners but, I have a pair of Rocky Gore-Tex oversocks that I use as camp slippers (with blue foam insoles).

I plan to use them inside my shoes on an upcoming 6 day trip on mostly snow. Because of the thickness, I think I will only wear them with a thin injinji sock liner and not my typical liner/wool sock combo.

CW
    BPL Member

@simplespirit

Locale: .

I used the Rocky oversocks on the recent BPL UL Scout Leader course. They worked perfectly in the snow and crossing water with my trail runners and a very thin wool sock. They're now part of my permanent kit.

From what I've read/heard, the Rocky's are the only ones that work well.

Justin R
    Spectator

@5150bronco

Locale: Bay Area, Ca.

What socks to you guys run underneath?

Thanks for the info gentleman.

joe newton
    BPL Member

@holdfast

Locale: Bergen, Norway

As well as the Rocky's that Chris mentions Gore Bike Wear also manufacture waterproof socks (http://www.gorebikewear.com/remote/Satellite/PROD_FGTSOS?landingid=1208436871979A) but as Chris points out, the Rocky's are supposed to be the best fit.

I carry a pair of discontinued TrekMates Amphibian Gore Tex socks on most trips but tend to only use them as camp wear, over dry sleep socks and inside wet trail runners. As long as I keep moving I'm ok hiking in unlined trail runners but it's good to know they're in my pack in case of really cold, sloppy conditions. If you're just gonna use them in camp then a couple of plastic bags will do the same job for a lot less money.

No one seems to make an eVent sock unfortunately…

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

On the Rocky oversocks, what size shoe do you normally wear, and what size Rocky oversock fits you best?

Thanks,

CW
    BPL Member

@simplespirit

I wore Teko's as they're my sock of preference.

CW
    BPL Member

@simplespirit

I got the Rocky's in a 10. My shoe size varies all over the place but what I use currently are Inov8 230s in an 11.

Alasdair Fowler

@messiahkhan

I don't know if you guys can get them over there in the US, but the ones I am looking at are the;

Sealskinz trekking socks
    http://www.sealskinz.com/socks/trekking-socks

They also do a light weight version that may be better with trail runners;

http://www.sealskinz.com/socks/ultra-light-socks

CW
    BPL Member

@simplespirit

All the feedback I've seen on Sealskinz says they leak.

Grzegorz Przeorski
    BPL Member

@grzechu

Locale: Ontario

I,ve been using oversocks for years. Rocky's rock, Sealskinz=waist of money.

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

NRS HydroSkins. $28.00

NRS HydroSocks

I used them for numerous snowshoeing trips this winter. I wore them over wool boot sock, in trail runners, to keep my feet dry and warm. They held up fine.

For stream crossing just wear your shoes. I usually leave mine on, wade across, and walk them dry. NBD. Saves a Lot of time if you have many crossings. (Plus you end up with cleaner feet and legs at the end of the day.)

Terri Wright
    BPL Member

@ncalcamper

Locale: SF Bay Area

I got a pair of Rocky's this weekend at REI using my 20% coupon. I got size 7 and found it was a snug fit getting them on. My socks are Darn Tough 1/4 crew and I have size 8 Inov-8. Do others have this problem? Do the tops stretch a bit?

Brett Peugh
    BPL Member

@bpeugh

Locale: Midwest

I used to have some of the Rocky Gore-Tex but in size 14 they were too small and they don't make a 15. Making some right now out of 2 layer eVent scraps and Toughtek. Hopefully they will work as no one makes anything as big but I wish they did. Loved the old ones with my socks and sandals combo.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

Maybe if you chop off your toes the Rocky's would fit. I mean if the guy in 127 hours can chop off his arm, what's a few toes?

Mary D
    BPL Member

@hikinggranny

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge

Tried the Rocky Goretex–stiff and uncomfortable! Plastic bags work best for me!

HC
    BPL Member

@impulse04

Yup, I also like plastic bags for snowy/wet days.

Michael Ray
    BPL Member

@topshot

Locale: Midwest

> Plastic bags work best for me!

Which ones are you using? Bread bags, generic grocery bag, mini trash bags, …?

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

If you use a heavy plastic bag (like a trash bag), they are durable, but the foot fit can be a problem. If you use a very light plastic bag (like a produce bag), they are not durable at all, and they can split out at a seam within the first hour of use.

I did a trek in Nepal during the end of the monsoon season, so I had sort of middle-weight plastic bags, and that worked out well. I think I used a total of three bags over 25 days on the trail.

–B.G.–

ed hyatt
    BPL Member

@edhyatt

Locale: The North, Scotland

I'd echo the mostly favourable comments on Rocky socks – its a great shame you can no longer get them in the UK.

I've used Sealskinz on multi-day backpacks in Scotland. They are fine for a day or two then rapidly turn rank and crispy, becoming uncomfortable fast – you would (IMO) need to wash them well – often.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

I used the Rocky oversocks on the recent BPL UL Scout Leader course. They worked perfectly in the snow and crossing water with my trail runners and a very thin wool sock. They're now part of my permanent kit.

From what I've read/heard, the Rocky's are the only ones that work well.

I used them this winter for my snow trips. Silk liners with wool socks under the Rocky GoreTex socks. Also went up one size in my trail runners. Very happy with the results.

Diana Vann
    BPL Member

@dianav

Locale: Wandering

As others have noted, Rocky socks are a little tough to get on; but I find that if I gather up the tops onto my thumbs before putting my foot inside, they slide on easier. Once they're on, mine fit like a glove, and I find them very comfortable.

I don't usually hike in them, I wear them in camp with a pair of lightweight sandals. The type of undersocks I wear depends on the temperature outside.

When I'm hiking I don't really mind getting my feet wet, as long as I'm wearing shoes that drain well.

If I'm going to be walking through cold water a good part of the day, I wear very lightweight smart wool socks under a pair of Seirus Hyperlite Stormsocks to keep my feet warm.

The write-ups say the Stormsocks are waterproof, but they're not. They're thin and comfortable, and they keep my feet warm–and that's good enough. There's a heavier version, but I like the thinner, (Hyperlite) ones much better.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 32 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!