Topic

Lightest fleece top?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Lightest fleece top?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 37 total)
  • Author
    chris smead
    BPL Member

@hamsterfish

Locale: San Jose, CA

Anyone know what the lightest fleece top is?

Diane Pinkers
    BPL Member

@dipink

Locale: Western Washington

Don't know if there's anything lighter, but the Montane Oryx is a 9 ounce full-zip. See Gear Swap if someone wants a men's large, talk price to me.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

Try to find fleece (or thicker pile) that has hollow fibers. More warmth and less weight. "Patagucci" may have it.

jim jessop

@luckyjim

http://www.jack-wolfskin.com/en/desktopdefault.aspx/tabid-1247/431_read-41022/usetemplate-product/

The lightest I've found is the Jack Wolfsin Atmosphere at 155gm or 5.5 oz

Great stretchy fleece and very warm for the weight. Lovely bit of kit.

Jennifer McFarlane
    BPL Member

@jennymcfarlane

Locale: Southern California

I'm not sure about this years version, my size medium from five years ago only weighs 5.5 ounces- best part is they go on sale for $20, you can sometimes pick them up at Sears for $10 when they are trying to clear out stock

http://www.landsend.com/pp/ThermaCheck100HalfzipPullover~212301_59.html?bcc=y&action=order_more&sku_0=::BLA&CM_MERCH=IDX_Men-_-Activewear&origin=index

Eric Palumbo

@eplumb

Check out Melanzana. They're a great cottage company in Leadville, CO that specializes in fleece. I have their micro grid hoodie and love it http://melanzana.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/25_27/products_id/34

It's 9.9 oz with the hood. They also have LS and SS crew necks and a 1/2-zip T-neck.

chris smead
    BPL Member

@hamsterfish

WOW!!! Seems perfect!
    Does anyone have the current model of this lands end fleece that can verify the weight?
    I'm searching online but so far no luck. I wish more companies listed weights.

Christopher Holly

@climber72

Locale: At my desk

Eric,

Great find on the Melanzana company – do you own much of their stuff? I am particularly interested in the Vapor Grid tights personally…

As for the Lands End 100 weight fleece, I wonder what they are using for fabric. Is it private label stuff from Malden Mills? I guess in my experience all fleece is not made equal…

Eric Palumbo

@palumbo

Locale: Rocky Mountains

Between me and my girlfriend, we own quite a few tops and I use their beenie, but haven't tried the tights.

Leadville is a favorite area to visit so I want to do everything I can to support what few businesses are still there now that mining has pretty much dried up. And the prices are super reasonable for Made in the USA stuff. Everything they sell is sewn right there in their Harrison Street shop.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

+1 to the Melanzana hoodie! I have no doubt their bottoms are just as nice.

Dan Magdoff
    BPL Member

@highsierraguy

Locale: Northern California

I have a northface quarter zip that weighs 7.4 ounces.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

There's more to it than the weight. Weight, loft, breathability, and wicking count.

I would be wearing wicking base layers before a light fleece. I have owned some light fleece tops that were surprisingly sweaty. I like the Capilene 2 tops for light weight, some loft and good wicking.

All XL size:

Eddie Bauer First Ascent 100w fleece top, 11.8oz

Lands End fleece top, 8.3oz

North Face hoodie, 13.8oz

Mountain Hardwear Power Stretch long sleeve zip, 10.9oz <— best performance/weight, IMHO

Russell smooth-faced fleece top, 12.7oz

Patagonia Synchilla snap-tee pullover, 21.5oz

North Face wicking base layer, 6oz
    Typical for my base layer tops. I think my GoLite C-Thru long sleeve is a bit lighter.

Jennifer McFarlane
    BPL Member

@jennymcfarlane

Locale: Southern California

My Land's End fleece top wears well, doesn't pill and has outlasted my interest in wearing it until I weighed it. I've got one I've had for seven years and it still works well. I wear it over something else- often just a cotton tshirt for casual stuff. I wore it to work a lot before my boss told me I couldn't anymore.
    I've got a lot of other fleece too, but none that light.

Nate Davis
    BPL Member

@knaight

Locale: Western Massachusetts

This is what I've currently got in my kit: http://www.backcountry.com/arcteryx-delta-lt-pullover-fleece-jacket-mens

The Arc'teryx Delta Fleece is about 9 oz in large, and is quite warm for the weight as far as I'm concerned. When it drops below 45-50, though, it's just not warm enough for sitting around camp. I've tried it out several times in the shoulder seasons and I always find myself huddling super close to the fire to stay warm. I expect you'll have the same results with most lightweight fleeces. I imagine I'll still use this piece of gear in the summer, but I'm buying a Montbell Thermawrap for spring and fall.

Brett Peugh
    BPL Member

@bpeugh

Locale: Midwest

You can always find a really thin fleece top that will not weigh much but will probably not keep you that warm either. For the best warmth to weight ratio you should get something like the Patagonia R2 or MH Monkey Man or something else made out of Polartec Thermal Pro. Yeah, they weigh more but you get a lot more warmth out of those few ounces.

chris smead
    BPL Member

@hamsterfish

Anyone know the lightest fleece vest?

I normally use my Montbell one, but I'll be in some serious rain, and I've learned that down and even synthetic fill is not so fun when wet.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

My Marmot Power Stretch vest is 7.9oz in XL. Vests are a bit lighter, but zippers and pockets add up.

A fleece pull-over vest might work. I've never seen one. You could take a Lands End long sleeve and cut the arms off.

todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA

I cut the sleeves off a Nike microfleece pullover and it weighs ~5oz, IIRC. Nice, and the sleeves work for arm warmers if you like 'em. Otherwise, they make pot cozies.

Steven McAllister
    BPL Member

@brooklynkayak

Locale: Arizona, US

I have a few different Melanzana fleece tops. The grid fleece material appears to be the best for wet conditions as the grids don't absorb water so you have more trapped air under a wind or rain shell.

The grid fleece is lighter and drier than standard poly fleece.

I like the hood design on the hooded fleece as it acts like a balaklava, covering your neck and most of your face, including mouth, when needed.

chris smead
    BPL Member

@hamsterfish

I'm thinking about buying one (size medium), but I can't find the weights on the website.
    Thanks

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

The lightest fleece top is no fleece top

Fleece is too heavy for the warmth, except for a hat or gloves or something like that

Mary D
    BPL Member

@hikinggranny

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge

It's nice to have something that gives some warmth when wet but is highly breathable and dries really fast, to wear in cold rain or below freezing conditions under that rain jacket or wind shirt while I'm actively hiking. I have a very light vest (Montbell "Chameece" with the lining cut out) that I use for those purposes. 5.6 oz.

For me, anything warmer (like down or even puffy synthetic) would be too warm to hike in unless it's well below zero!

Paul McLaughlin
    BPL Member

@paul-1

Light and cheap is expedition weight long underwear zip t-neck from sierra trading post:

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/p/164,14215_Wickers-Long-Underwear-Top-Expedition-Weight-Mock-Zip-Long-Sleeve-For-Tall-Men.html

I've had a couple over the years and been very happy with them. My current one is a grid fleece, but the ones they have now may be different. mine weighs about 9.5 oz.

Brian Camprini
    BPL Member

@bcamprini

Locale: Southern Appalachians

Does anyone know of a light fleece top with a back that is not fleece, but instead some light, breathable fabric? Seems like a good design for backpackers in cold weather. Hard to even think about fleece this time of year though.

If you just want to take some chill off when it's not really that cold, wear a windshirt.

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

fleece works fine … they arent the lightest … but then down aint exactly quick drying or something youd wear when active … nor is synth the most breathable either

it all depends what youll be using it for and how confident you wont eff up

they sell all those R1s and R1 knockoffs for a reason … and climbers actually wear em, not just at the local sbucks either ;)

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 37 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!