Topic

Frogg Toggs Rain Suit

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Commerce Reader Reviews Frogg Toggs Rain Suit

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Mike Barney

@eaglemb

Locale: AZ, the Great Southwest!

This is an interesting product, that people seem to either love or hate. Frogg Toggs are an inexpensive relatively good rain gear that can take moderate wear and tear. Made of Tyvek, FT’s wear reasonably well when treated well. The seams can blow out if you’re rough with them, but they fix easy with superglue or duct tape. For the price, often in the $50 – 60 range, they wear well if you’re careful, and do an excellent job of breathing and keeping the rain out. As such, these also make a great wind breaker. Further, thy’re very light, about 17 oz for a XL version.
    If you’re rough on gear, I would pass on these, as the seams are somewhere between fragile and tough. That gives this a 3 or a 4 depending upon your style of

Ryan Jordan
    Admin

@ryan

Locale: Central Rockies

You’ll fit in at a bass fishing tournament or AT shelter, but woe is he who goes clubbing in a set of these.

Fashion aside, the fit is fair, but the comfort is terrific – a truly “breathable” waterproof fabric that blows the woven nylon laminates away. You can actually hike in these and ditch a wind shirt on many occasions without getting excessively sweaty.

David Ure

@familyguy

Well, the jacket did keep me dry for two hours while hiking on groomed trails…after which the left arm pit blew out and I got a tear behind the hood.

I did not expect these to last more than one season but was expecting more than part of one day.

David Stenberg
    BPL Member

@dstenberg1

Locale: South

The fit isn't that good, it doesn't provide much warmth to wear in camp, and the khaki suit isn't going to win me any fashion prizes, BUT….

for me they have been plenty durable, waterproof, and very breathable. I used the jacket for awhile as my wind shirt and rain jacket without a problem. I think they are great concidering the weight and price.

I used this suit for a Wonderland Trail thru-hike and about six other trips. I would use it more, but now I have a Driducks jacket and Golite Reed pants.

James Drake

@justducky456

Locale: Colorado High Country

Overall I like my Frogg Toggs and would buy another pair. I've used them for about a year now and have some pilling of the fabric but as of yet it doesn't seem to affect the performance. I measured the weight at 8oz for the jacket and 7 oz for the pants. I use the Toggs for protection from rain and wind. They are cut large and baggy which I like because they easily fit over bulky layers like a down jacket in camp. They are a bit bulky to pack but it hasn’t been a problem for me. I do not like the elastic wrist bands and removed them. They are also very comfortable against the skin which might be my favorite feature. I often times will just wear the Toggs around camp because I find them comfortable. They aren't the most durable for sure, but I've been through heavy brush without tearing but I do take extra care when I'm wearing them. The price is also attractive so I don’t mind replacing them when the time comes.

George Matthews
    BPL Member

@gmatthews

I know these have been around for a while, but I was itching to get something with the Print-Issue-RIP coupon.

I tried them during a good rain on a cool day. They are comfy and kept me dry.

However, the material is fragile.

Brad Rohdenburg

@oblio13

The first time I put mine on, the right sleeve came off. I emailed the manufacturer several times for a return authorization, but never heard back. I then left a phone message at their customer service number, and still never heard back.

Gabriel Diaz

@freelancer

Locale: South Florida

I only have experience with these as a motorcyclist; they are sold at bike shops as suitable rain gear.

I liked their packable nature so I bought a set some years ago. My first night wearing them was during a drizzle on the Florida turnpike. I was dry for the first couple of miles, then after a while going at 70mph, the seams on both shoulders blew apart. I was able to get a refund from the retailer – he made an odd comment before seeing the ripped jacket: "I can't refund your money unless both shoulder seams are torn."

I'm looking for a rain jacket now for hiking, and keep seeing these at the shops. I wondered if their quality had improved, but I can see from most of the reviews here that it has not.

(For the record, I bought a suit from Firstgear for riding, and the jacket is still in great shape even after years of heavy use in this "sunny" Florida weather.)

Todd Hein
    BPL Member

@todd1960

Locale: Front Range

I tried a set of these and returned them right away. The fabric would be OK, but the sewing and sizing are terrible. These are apparently designed for fat people: To get even close to adequate length, the requisite waist size is way too big! Also, upon inspection, the crotch and shoulder seems were already pulling apart. I returned them unused.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • The forum ‘Reader Reviews’ is closed to new topics and replies.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!