Topic

Silk vs Wool Long Johns

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Silk vs Wool Long Johns

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Ultra Magnus

@ultra_magnus

I'm new to this and just recently discovered silk light weight long johns… So far, I've been really partial towards wool. I have a handful of wool cycling gear, and absolutely love it, as well as some wool casual clothing. Warmth, comfort, dryness, odor repulsion, etc., it's fantastic…

But, silk weighs less- but how does it compare in these other categories? Also, is silk long underwear a knit stretchy fabric like normal long underwear? My only experience with silk clothing was with woven non-stretchy dress shirt type materials. I'd think you would need something somewhat stretchy for good next to skin contact and comfort.

thanks,
    BM

William Zila
    BPL Member

@ultralightwillinn-m

Locale: Albuquerque

Although I have no experience with silk thermals I have lots of experience with polypro and fleece type the best I have come across is underarmor coldgear 1.0,2.0,.30 a set of 2.0 will weigh in at 12ounces for mediums and are amazingly warm per weight better then the polypro ones I have tried and I would assume more warmth then silk due to the grid weave of the coldgear which is the reason they are so warm for there weight hope I helped

Ultra Magnus

@ultra_magnus

Thanks, that is actually a bit helpful. My wife recently bought me some synthetic waffle knit thermal tops, I think they are from the Eddie Bauer store, that are actually very comfortable… I'll check the tag tonight and see what they are made of and weigh them…

BM

Stephen P

@spavlock

Locale: Mid-Atlantic

I wear wool and polypro. It all depends on the weather and conditions. I prefer a nice merino wool pair for real warmth when hiking. To each his own.

I would only wear silk to sleep in, but that's just me. I've worn UA base layers over the years, but only for sports. I don't like taking them backpacking, because they tend to accumulate body odor rather quickly.

Martha S.

@kitfox

I got a set to sleep in and found them to be pretty clammy. Not sure why — it was a dry night, no bivy, lightweight bag, etc.

My friend had same experience, fwiw.

Jerry Wick
    BPL Member

@jerryw

Locale: Illinois

I like the silk. Fit wise, I'd say they are like baggy pantyhose(not that I've ever worn pantyhose!). Wearing them with your typical nylon hiking pants, I'm comfortable into the 20's. At night I just strip off the pants and sleep in them. I can't say that I ever noticed them being stinky, no more than any other clothing anyway. It's amazing how much warmth they add for how thin they are.

Jerry

David Adair
    Spectator

@davidadair

Locale: West Dakota

I really like my Ullfrotte merino wool when it is cool enough to justify. The silk doesn't seem to wick particularly well. Even so I can hike comfortably in the bottoms but tend to overheat in the tops. Great for PJs though.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!