Topic

Leatherman Style keychain multi-tool vs. Victorinox Classic

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Leatherman Style keychain multi-tool vs. Victorinox Classic

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I've been carrying a Leatherman Style CS scissor-oriented multi-tool as an every day item and finally got around to ordering the smaller Style model to use with a pocket survival tool kit.

Style vs Victorinox Classic: the Style weighs 0.82oz/23.3g; the Classic weighs 0.74oz/21.1g. The Style is thicker and slimmer. The knife blade on the Style is noticeably thicker and deeper than the Classic; it is made of 420HC stainless steel. The scissors are similar size; the Style scissors have a captive torsion spring that is stiffer and there is a thicker thumb pad on the scissor lever; the Classic scissors are a bit easier to deploy. The Style has a tweezer that is nearly invisible when stowed; the Classic has a tweezer and a toothpick.

Summation: the Style is a more robust tool and the design will probably hold up better for every day use and pocket wear, where the scales on the Classic are easily scratched. The Classic is more comfortable in the hand and the tools are easier to deploy. IMHO, the steel in the Style knife blade is better quality and doesn't feel as fragile as the Classic. Overall, I would choose the Style for heavier tasks and a knife-oriented tool. The Classic is a smidgen lighter and I like the handle/scissor orientation. I do use the toothpick too.

Leatherman Style web page: http://www.leatherman.com/product/Style

Leatherman Style and Victorinox Classic

Leatherman Style and Victorinox Classic

Leatherman Style and Mini Bic

Tweezers partially deployed to show location
    Leatherman Style

Leatherman Style with tweezers

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

^ thanks- didn't even knew they (LM) made one that small :), I almost never use the toothpick (or nail file for that matter) so that's no biggie for me

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Mike,

Check out the Style CS too, which is an updated version of the Micra. It's the one I EDC. I've cut 10 gauge copper wire with it and it goes through fat zip ties like butter.

The point to this (no pun intended), is to have a small tool to go on the latest version of my pocket survival kit.

This "keyring" goes in one pocket, with a K&M match case/compass and larger folding knife or belt knife, all on my person whenever I leave the car. It is a heavyweight at 4oz.

ACR whistle
    Light My Fire Scout 2.0 firesteel with improved scraper
    Bison "spy capsule" with Tinder Quick tabs inside
    Mini Bic lighter with o-ring safety, lanyard mount and Gorilla duct tape (makes it fit the holder)
    Fenix E01 AAA LED flashlight
    Mini Versa Link
    Leatherman Style multi tool.

Pocket survival kit

K&M match case

Mora #2/0 knife

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

I peeked at that one too on their site, looks pretty impressive for the size :)

Eugene Smith
    BPL Member

@eugeneius

Locale: Nuevo Mexico

I love my Style CS, it's my keychain- gets used on a regular basis for cutting zip ties, packaging, cleaning junk out of my nails, cutting the sheath on wire in a pinch, and most importantly opening a fine craftbrew.

Simon Wurster
    BPL Member

@einstein

Locale: Big Apple

+1 on the Leatherman Style. Been EDC'ing one for about 8 months (along with an SOG Flash I), and it'd work great as a replacement for the SAK Classic or Squirt s4 or even p4 (if you don't use the pliers as a pot grip). The Style's blade is almost identical to the blade on the Squirt series.

Re: Style CS… I'm longing for a Style CP (P=pliers) as that would be the sweetspot for function and weight.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!