Topic

Wonderfully Thick Closed Cell Foam Sleeping Pad

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Wonderfully Thick Closed Cell Foam Sleeping Pad

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Logan Spader

@___o2

Locale: .

Great sleep is important to me and is the only thing that I will not give up to fit my light backpacking needs. I currently use a Thermarest Prolite at 20"x72"x2" which equals 24 ounces. I'm a side sleeper and I LOVE THIS PAD because it is comfy and keeps me warm through all 4 seasons. But I always fear that I will puncture it somehow and either have an uncomfortable summer sleep or a terribly cold winter sleep.

So, my question: Are there any closed cell foam pads that are over 1" thick? The thickest closed cell foam pad that I can find is the Ridgerest at .75". I just want a thick pad that will not deflate if a spark hits it or if a thorn pokes a hole in it (plus I can cut off any excess pad that I don't need).

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

There is always open cell foam.

Wrap that with a piece of saran wrap and you are ready for weather.

Guaranteed not to deflate.

–B.G.–

drowning in spam

@leaftye

Locale: SoCal

It looks like this place sells it.

http://www.foamorder.com/closedcell.html

They have EVA, which is what I would want. The sheets are 80"x40", so you will probably want to cut the width in half and trim the length by a few inches. They price isn't awful either. $60 for the foam plus $10 shipping to my door.

Jack G

@nomadjack

Locale: Midwest

Since the weight would be pretty much the same as your current prolite plus, another possibility would be a short prolite at 11 oz. and a regular z-lite at 14 oz. You'd still get the air pad that you like for your hips but also have the backup of the z-lite in case you spring a leak. Also less bulk. I've used this setup in the winter and with your pack under your legs and feet it is adequate.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

The Ridgerest is 15mm thick , 20cm in diameter when stored.
    A 1" (25mm) equivalent would be just over 33cm thick , that is about 13"
    Franco

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

> They have EVA, which is what I would want.

I buy 5 mm sheet EVA30 foam like that to make a cover for the end of the tent below our 3/4 length mats. Works fine even on snow. Light too.

cheers

drowning in spam

@leaftye

Locale: SoCal

A 72x20x1 EVA pad would weigh about 18 ounces with an R value of 3.6.

Logan Spader

@___o2

Oh no! Now I am even more confused on what I want. Haha. I was considering a combination like this:

>Since the weight would be pretty much the same as your current prolite plus, another possibility would be a short prolite at 11 oz. and a regular z-lite at 14 oz.

But the thought of dealing with two sleeping pads and the small dip that would be created in the middle from the shorter pad makes me want to rule it out until I am out of other options. The "Foamorder" website is awesome! I know this sounds stupid but i'm considering the 1.5 inch thick EVA! My sleeping pad would probably be bigger than my entire pack when rolled up but holy crud would it be comfortable and warm!

Thanks for all of the replies. Would EVA foam without the cut ridges like the ridgerest or z-lite be a lot colder to sleep on?

Jim MacDiarmid
    BPL Member

@jrmacd

Is there any reason you wouldn't want to just stack pads? That's what I do with two Ridgrests. I'm a sidesleeper who bought a short NeoAir, loved it for the comfort but like, you, wanted something fail-proof for trips in colder weather or longer than 1 night.

2 Ridgerest's stacked =1.25" thickness and an R-Value of ~5.2, which covers you into winter. I have a regular length and a short length, both of which I cut to fit and which now have a weight of 5.57oz(short) and 9.28(regular) for 14.85oz total. In winter I'm also experimenting with using a 3/16" thick 60"x38" mat from Oware as a ground sheet for some added insulation vs a spinnaker, tyvek or silnylon ground sheet. At 5.68oz, the weight penalty is only a couple oz, and I get the benefit of .6 R-Value.

This system isn't as cushy as the NeoAir, but it also won't ever leak and leave me on the ground. I'd guess I find it about 65-70% as comfy as the NeoAir, and, having used REI's 1.5" thick version of a Prolite, about 90% as comfortable as that. Plus, with the Ridgerests, I don't get that cold spot where my hip indents the mat. Also, I've been working on back-sleeping when out, and when I do that, it solves any comfort issues.

Here's a picture of my system.
    mats
    mats2

The short mat is 38" long and 19." wide at the widest. The longer mat is 71" (I'm 5'10") long and 19.5" at its widest. The leg portion is 15" at its widest.

Marc Shea
    BPL Member

@flytepacker

Locale: Cascades

If you like the Prolite (I love mine) why not just take a repair kit with you to fix it if you get a hole? Tear Aid and Patch-N-Go products have literally no cure time and work with numerous materials. The weight for the kits are negligible at best.

If you must have the foam, MEC in Canada carries Evazote pads in varying thicknesses.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

I've taken my prolite out about 70 nights with no leaks. Guidelite before that for 100s of nights with no leak. Another Thermarest developed a slow leak – maybe I'de have to top it off half way through the night, but still provided some warmth and comfort.

Don't worry about leaks.

Don't get sucked into "the vortex of fear"

Corey Downing
    BPL Member

@hardcorey

Locale: Denver

Does the R-Value scale linearly with the thickness of the EVA foam?

kevperro .
    BPL Member

@kevperro

Locale: Washington State

R-value for common materials do but some of the numbers thrown around for sleeping pads seems suspect to me.

I concur that there is no need for a patch kit for a standard ThermaRest. I've used them just thrown on the ground for months on end and never had a puncture. If your life depends on it carry an additional closed cell foam for safety.

Jim MacDiarmid
    BPL Member

@jrmacd

BPL'er Richard Nisley has some response's in a post here about r-value for general closed cell pads, as well has some tested(by himself)values for other popular pads vs the manufacturer's claim.

Fred eric
    BPL Member

@fre49

Locale: France, vallée de la Loire

R value vary with thickness AND density of the evazote pad, its not linear for density though, some are more efficient, but then it also depends on how it reacts to the weight of the sleeper,

have a look at :

http://zotefoams.thomasnet.com/item/all-categories/eva/va25?&seo=110

Logan Spader

@___o2

Jim Mac thanks for the pictures. I like your idea and I am going use it. Like you, I am also trying to learn how to sleep on my back when backpacking but it just feels weird.

And as for the "vortex of fear" comment, I'm already sucked into it! But this is not the only reason why I want a closed foam pad. In the summer I can just unbuckle the pad and throw it on some rocks, twigs, or draped over a log for a comfy seat (I don't want to bring a seat that is only used as a seat) and in the winter I can sit on it next to the fire with now worries. My old ridgerest has holes right through it and about 7 hot coal burns and it still works great!

Greg K
    BPL Member

@ziasdad

Jim MacDiamid and Logan Spader,

Are you both still using Jim’s Ridgerest system?  I’m considering doing the same, but if you’re both still around and willing to post an update re how it’s working for you, that would be helpful.

Anyone else using closed cell foam (Ridgerest, EVA, Evazote, or GG’s Thinlight, or combinations of same) in greater thicknesses like what’s been discussed here?

I’ve been using BA air mattress that has a little synthetic insulation built into it.  It’s starting to do the slow leak thing, so I’m considering going back to a close cell system.  I like the simplicity of closed cell foam, and I’m hoping I can get something reasonably comfortable.  The BA air mattress was comfortable, but I’m thinking that 2 Ridgerests or a thick EVA may come close.

Ross Bleakney
    BPL Member

@rossbleakney

Locale: Cascades

I used to stack pads. I had a Ridgerest along with a high quality 1/8 inch thick pad from Gossamer Gear*. If I remember right, I think I even had two of the thin ones to go along with the Ridgerest. This is a very effective and inexpensive setup. Having multiple pads gives you more flexibility. If you are taking a warm trip and know the ground will be smooth (e. g. platforms in a park) then you can take fewer pads. Either way you have more flexibility when it comes to packing (multiple tight rolls, not one giant think one).

Now I use a thin pad along with a NeoAir. I put the thin pad on the bottom, to protect the NeoAir. Worse case scenario, if the NeoAir suddenly dies, at least I have something between me and the ground. Not a lot (the pad is thin) but better than nothing (a deflated NeoAir probably adds a little as well).

I don’t do much winter camping, but I think I would probably just add the Ridgerest to the mix. So that means the NeoAir sandwiched between two foam pads, which I think would be pretty comfy and warm.

* I think the pad was from Gossamer Gear. I bought it at least ten years ago.

Greg K
    BPL Member

@ziasdad

Thanks Ross!

I think I have the same 1/8 in thick GG pad that I also got about 10 or 12 years ago. My backpack is a GG Mariposa and I use that pad folded up for the back panel of the pack.

I’m tempted to order a 1 inch thick piece of EVA from http://www.foamorder.com/closedcell.html and give it a try.  I’d cut it down to 48 inches by 20 inches.  If their specs on it are correct, that it weighs 2 pounds per cubic foot, a 48 X 20 X 1 piece would weigh 18 ounces.  That’s not a bad weight if it’s comfortable enough.

I like the simplicity of just one pad at a thickness that works.  Two pads, one on top of the other, just give more things to slide around during the night and possibly disturb sleep.

Before I order, I will try to rig up a test here at home.  I have an old Ridgerest and some blue foam.  I’ll try the ridgerest on top of the blue foam, which should approximate a 1 inch thick EVA pad.  If that passes the sleep test, I’ll order the EVA.  If I do that, I’ll post back here regarding the actual weight after I cut it down to size, and also post regarding its comfort on a real backpack.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!