Topic

Rab Xenon vs. BPL Cocoon Insulated Hoody

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Rab Xenon vs. BPL Cocoon Insulated Hoody

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    James Connolly
    BPL Member

@jamespjc

Locale: TX

I'm looking to get a new lightweight synthetic insulated jacket, and wondered if any users has feedback on either of these two jackets?

CW
    BPL Member

@simplespirit

Locale: .

Cocoon Info

Xenon Info

I haven't had the Xenon in my hands so I can't personally compare them. The Cocoon is lighter and at least on paper, a bit warmer.

joe newton
    BPL Member

@holdfast

Locale: Bergen, Norway

James,

I have just posted my initial review of the Xenon on my blog if that helps:

First Look: Rab Xenon on Thunder In The Night

John Mc
    BPL Member

@retiredjohn

Locale: PNW

So it looks like Rab has 60g Primaloft and the BPL jacket has 80g Ryan insulation…….. I would have to say the BPL should be warmer (at some extra weight) if Ryan's material is equal or better than Primaloft.

Joe's review is fantastic. Very detailed information…..

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

aint that warm … it about the same as a good fleece just at a lighter weight

joe newton
    BPL Member

@holdfast

Locale: Bergen, Norway

I find 60g/m Primaloft warm enough for backpacking in the Norwegian mountains during 'peak' backpacking season. I guess it all comes down to personal metabolic rate and other clothing you may be carrying.

David Ure

@familyguy

I the previous version of the Cocoon Hoody and it is plenty warm to 35 degrees with just an UL merino T-shirt.

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

the thing to keep in mind for most people is that itll take 100g/m to approach the warmth of even the lightest down jackets

ive used the thermawrap and arteryx atom lt … they arent that warm unless you combine it with more clothes

David Ure

@familyguy

My experience is that you can have lower synthetic fill in windier conditions – down seems to be an 'over' conductor compared to down. But this is just my experience.

James Connolly
    BPL Member

@jamespjc

Locale: TX

Thanks for your comment and input. The review of the Xenon is very useful. Does nayone have any comments on the BPL Hoody?

I know that these jackets aren't going to be as warm as a down jacket. Indeed, I have a Nunatak Skaha which is very warm indeed. However, this is often overkill, and I'm looking for something for my 3 season hiking needs….fleece is just too bulky and heavy.

Jeremy Platt
    BPL Member

@jeremy089786

Locale: Sydney

What ever happened to Ryan's new insulation now that nobody is making the BPL hoodies? How much better is it supposed to be than Climashield apex or Primaloft?

terrance guidetti

@baloo

Locale: calif

I love my cocoon hoody! Warm to 35 with light baselayer. Warmer than my Montbell ex light down jacket, albeit heavier. Great coat, but unavailable as far as I can tell.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools