Topic

New bug Bivy

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) New bug Bivy

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Frank Steele

@knarfster

Locale: Arizona

I just got this light weigh bug bivy from what appears to be a new company, Bear Paw Tents.

I originally bought his Bug bivy, which has a hoop set-up, but it weighed 10.5 oz without the hoop in it and 13 with it (not including 4 stakes) on eBay for $75.

The owner was very accommodating when I asked him to make a different bivy, lighter with more room. This is what he came up with, and he is selling them on eBay for $75 including shipping. Not a bad bug bivy, mine weighs 7.9 oz on my Pelouze digital postal scale. It uses a more robust no-seeum than some other UL gear makers, hence the slightly higher weight than some others (has 2 inch Silnylon bathtub floor). But it should be more durable and you can't beat that price for under 8 oz.

It doesn't rain too much here in the Southwest, and when it does it is usually during the day when I am hiking (monsoons). I like to sleep under the stars, and if I think there might be rain I pull out my Oware Catttarp.

Here it is set up in my back yard with a Big Agnes 72 inch Air mattress.

.Bivy1Bivy2bivy3Bivy4

Keegan Wagner

@keegan

Awesome! that looks like it would work perfectly in my solo 5' by 9' A-frame tarp.

Miner
    BPL Member

@miner

Locale: SoCAL

The price is definitely good for the weight. Let us know how it holds up after a summer of use.

Steven McAllister
    BPL Member

@brooklynkayak

Locale: Arizona, US

Looks like it would lend itself to a quick tarp throw-over and stake down should the weather change.

S Long
    BPL Member

@izeloz

Locale: Wasatch

I just ordered one for myself. Hopefully it will work out well under my new Duomid. If not, a tarp will be fine with it I'm sure.

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Locale: Wisconsin

lzeloz– Let us know how it fits under a mid-style shelter. While tarping is very attractive, Wisconsin has just a few bugs. So, I've been contemplating bug-bivy solutions to the MLD Trailstar I have on order.

Frank Steele

@knarfster

Locale: Arizona

I don't have any tarps like that, but it does have the tie out in the middle, so it should keep the netting off your face.

Also, this is a small company, so john will work with you. he didn't even have this product a month ago. i bought his other bug Bivy and it was too heavy and low for me. So we brain stormed and he came up with this. he will probably put tie outs anywhere you would like them. plus he has a 30 money back guarantee, he was a pleasure to work with. i have never had a gear company make a new piece of gear form me because I didn't like the original they sold me. And now he is selling it on eBya nd his site (eBay is cheaper).

Rusty Beaver
    BPL Member

@rustyb

Locale: Idaho

Any one have a guess as to how much weight might be saved on this bivy by using a lighter no-see-um?

Any other comments on this bivy or company in general would be welcomed too.

Thanks!

Sanad Toukhly
    BPL Member

@red_fox

I currently use the MLD Bug Bivy. Mine weighs 4.7 oz with cuben bottom. This one does look like it might offer a bit more room though.

-Sid

Dont Wantto

@longhiker

Based on a tip from someone here, I've been making / improving a MYOG bug shelter very similar to the above — mine is made of tulle and so it's lighter, cheaper and quite a bit larger. ( less than 4 oz (so far), $15 – $20, got the black tulle at Walmart.)

I'm making it large enough for 2 people to sit in.. it has no floor (which may not make comparison with this tent applicable).

The purpose is as a 'hang-out / food & cooking tent' for my girlfriend and I when we are in serious bug+bear country (i.e we can't use our tent to eat / cook in.. nevermind the CO).

My design is similar — two hiking poles with a string in between and the tulle material forms a Toblerone-box shaped shelter and the edge is held down by stones / backpack / other weights.. some light binder clips + mason line allow some sort of staking-out that expands the headroom but this part I'm still working on.

Anyway, just wanted to pass on something I learnt here… you can use black tulle from Walmart to make yourself a very light bug shelter. Cons: not durable, not very stable / wind proof but sufficient for day use.

PS: Since people asked about weights:

54" x 7 yards of black nylon tulle from Walmart weighs around 2.3 oz.

My guess is that the bug tent shown has less material than what I mentioned above.

My Walmart had two options.. I bought the tulle with smaller holes, small enough to keep out skeeters, flies etc.. not sure about half-as-small-as-fruit-fly bugs. Tulle is somewhat delicate though.

Rusty Beaver
    BPL Member

@rustyb

Locale: Idaho

Dont,

What is tulle?

Steven McAllister
    BPL Member

@brooklynkayak

Locale: Arizona, US
    S Long
    BPL Member

@izeloz

I just set up my new Duomid and tried out this bivy in it. Not so great. There are just no good attachment points for it in a Duomid. No matter how I tried I couldn't get a good setup. I have attached a picture of my best attempt. Maybe someone with better skills than I could make it work well, but as it is I think this bivy would work better under a conventional tarp.Bug bivy in a Duomid

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

Izeloz,
    Run a cord from a middle stake, through the apex, and down to the opposite stake. Add a prussic knot to each leg, and attach the bivy ties to those.

S Long
    BPL Member

@izeloz

Just wanted to add something here. As Frank said, the owner of the company is very nice to work with. He saw this post and offered to return the bivy I bought and make a new one that would fit the Duomid better for no charge! That is incredible customer service. I knew what I was buying from the beginning and opted to keep it since I have a tarp it works great under, but that is fantastic customer support. Just wanted to put in a plug for this great new company.

Andrew Richardson

@arichardson6

Locale: North East

Wow, that is awesome. I think I will have to get a bivy from them sooner rather than later.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!