Topic

Backcountry Gear – NO Returns on ‘Used’ Gear

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Backcountry Gear – NO Returns on ‘Used’ Gear

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

I received my POE Ether Elite yesterday, and gave it a test spin on the back porch. I found the R-4 rating equivalent to my BA Clearview.

So I called for a Return Authorization – Guess What? "Only Unsed Items" can be returned. End of discussion.

Buyer Beware.

Forewarned is forearmed.

Kier Selinsky

@kieran

Locale: Seattle, WA

That's unfortunate. That must be a recent change or something. I was really happy with them last year when a dry bag I bought tore on a short canoe trip. I called and told them that it didn't seem that it should have ripped so easily, and they gave me store credit (cause the item was discontinued) – no hassles or nothing.

Frank Steele

@knarfster

Locale: Arizona

I have considered purchases from them in the past, but guess I won't now.

I have had great experiences with the followng companies, including returns:
    sierratradingpost.com
    moontrail.com
    backcountry.com
    e-omc.com
    campsaver.com
    campmor.com
    prolitegear.com
    geartrade.com (backcountry seller)

Guess I will stick with them.

David Ure

@familyguy

I'd add Moosejaw and REI to the list of easy returns. At least in my experience.

Robert Blean
    BPL Member

@blean

Locale: San Jose -- too far from Sierras

I am surprised. As long as you can return yours in unused condition, tags and all, I don't see their issue.

Might try again and hope you get a different person to talk to. Ensure they understand it will be returned in unused condition.

–MV

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

"If it has been used outdoors, it cannot be returned."

Their "issue" has probably been abuse. (My guess.)

Nonetheless, don't "test drive" anything, even once, controlled, and clean, and expect to return it.

They've lost me as a customer.

Dont Wantto

@longhiker

That's a timely warning.

I have an Exped DownMat 7 arriving from Backcountry Gear… wanted to compare it to the Big Agnes Insulated Air Core and make sure it isnt too short.

I thought it'd be OK to just unroll it, inflate it and check it indoors at least. How would they even know if I don't remove the tags?

Is it a problem because your POE got some mild abrasion or you removed the tags or something?

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

"Is it a problem because your POE got some mild abrasion or you removed the tags or something?"

There is no indication of it ever being outside. The porch is covered. I slept on a doubled sheet expressly to keep it in pristine condition. It would look no different if I had slept indoors on carpet. It is as "like-new and re-sellable" as it was when it came out of the stuff sack.

The issue is their policy, and their lack of flexibility.

Robert Cowman
    BPL Member

@rcowman

Locale: Canadian Rockies

my problem with them is they only have express shipping to Canada that cost like 90 bucks, then you get duties on the shipping to so for anything its super expensive for no reason, when every other site has multiple shipping options and have had no problems like backcountry gear says in their policy.

Frank Steele

@knarfster

Locale: Arizona

Don't call the piece used. they don't call their pieces used when it is a "Demo" piece. you just demoed it, ;)

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

"The issue is their policy, and their lack of flexibility."

It may not be all their fault.

In some states, sleep products cannot be re-sold as "new." Some industries and some products and some companies are very strict about this (health laws or something). If it had been an ice axe or a stove, they might not have blinked an eye.

Don't take this personally, but a sleeping bag customer could have lice and then transferred that to the sleeping bag.

If a company sells a product like this to a customer, and then if the customer returns it, for whatever reason, then that product can not be re-sold as "new" and it becomes "B stock" and can be sold again as "demo product" or something like that, typically "as-is."

Some companies are a little too flexible in this regard, so if they take back a product, it will be transferred to the "B stock room." Then by some miracle, a "new?" product exactly like it comes out and is sold again to the next unsuspecting customer. In some states and with some products, the company can get its hands slapped if caught doing this, especially if the product has a serial number.

–B.G.–

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

If you can't tell at all that it's been used… then it's new. Wait a few days, call them back and ask for a "return number" for your uused pad. You want to exchange because you realized you needed a pad with more insulation. So there. Let us know how it turns out!

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

I thought about it.
    It's easy to do.

But I'd rather deal with a company that's willing to work with me than one that has policies that requires deception or lying.

I paid $30 for this "lesson". It's one I won't forget.

Dave T

@davet

Greg,

Why don't you email them, and forward this thread along?

That's how those other BPL folks badgered (I mean reasonably persuaded) action from backcountry.com (I think) a while back about some minor discount.

While I disagreed with that situation and how it was handled by some BPLeres, it sounds like yours is very reasonable, and should be addressed properly by the company. Knowledge that a thread on a well-respected backpacking forum is discussing the situation may help them to do the right thing in this case.

Anonymous
    Inactive

"Why don't you email them, and forward this thread along?"

+1 Potentially better for all concerned.

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

I am not of the mind to do battle with a company over their customer service policies. Even if I "win" this one, the policy and attitude will continue, and others would suffer the same fate.

There are a dozen good vendors out there. Most are price competitive. That leaves Service as the differentiator. I have purchased and returned goods to Backcountry Gear in the past, without a thought or concern. And that is the way I prefer to operate.

Their policies and perspectives have obviously changed. So I will adapt. My money will go elsewhere.

Kier Selinsky

@kieran

I just realized something. I recently took my wife to our local outfitter to have her try out some pads before buying one. We had a strong suspicion that one of the thermarests was going to be just right, but they didn't have any display models to try. So we were going to just buy it and return it if it didn't work right, but they said we couldn't, because the law classified it as a mattress, and it's illegal for a store to take a returned mattress (even if it's unused) and resell it. That might be why you're getting this experience on this item and I've had a much better experience previously. Might be worth checking into just to know if that's the reason.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Interesting the law about mattresses — while one can freely try on shorts and even underwear…

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Kieran,
    It's possible. But given the initial question was "Did you use it outdoors?" I doubt it.

On my second go-around I was asked if I would like to exchange it for another product. I declined. And the "Policy" was invoked.

No, my business goes elsewhere.

Edit: By the way – we recently bought a new mattress set for the bedroom, and had 30 days to exchange it or get a refund – "no questions asked". (We're in Colorado.)

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

I'm the same way with product retailers with customer service. If I have a major disappointment with a company, I simply take my business elsewhere. In some cases, I tell them directly why they have lost my business and possibly the business of my friends.

If I have a disappointment with a product, then it might be from my own stupidity, and that is different.

–B.G.–

Kier Selinsky

@kieran

Bugger… it must be just an Ohio law then… or a bag of winds from the outfitter salesman. sorry bud

Jay Campbell

@gohawks

Locale: SE Iowa

I bought a tarptent rainbow from backcountrygear.com. I did so because they offer free shipping.

I set the tent up numerous times and seam sealed it, several times. I could never get it completely sealed. No matter what I tried I would still get some water leakage from somewhere.

I called them and explained the situation and that I had been in contact with the manufacturer and still couldn't get the tent to be "water tight".

They told me to send it back for a full refund.

Could be a deal they have with Henry, I don't know. But I appreciated their willingness to offer the refund, even though the item had been "used".

Miner
    BPL Member

@miner

Locale: SoCAL

If you had tried to return a deffective but used item, I would think you would have a right to complain. But unless I'm reading your post wrongly, it seems like you tried to return a perfectly fine item that had been lightly used which doesn't seem fair as the company can no longer sell it as new and can't return to the manufacturer as defective. However, reading BackcountryGear's online return policy, it does seem pretty clear how restrictive they are. They do seem to make some allowances for a deffective item but places like REI are much more generous; too much so to the detriment of my yearly rebate.

If you don't like it, you do have the right to go else where in the future. But by avoiding them, you may end up paying more for some of your items in the future as I've enjoyed some of BackCountryGear's sale prices. I'll likely continue buying from them when they are cheaper on something since I rarely return anything unless its defective.

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Like I said –

A $30 lesson I won't forget.

Buyer Beware.

Forewarned is Forarmed.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Seems like a lot of people on here buy stuff non-stop looking for the 'perfect' piece of gear. I understand shopping online for clothes / shoes but seriously folks, this is camping gear. If you see it online and like the looks of it, and buy it, and it works, keep it. If it is broke, send it back.

I do consider all of this testing to be abuse of shops personally. And there are shops that cater to you testers. They also charge MSRP on most items.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 28 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!