Topic

AntiGravity Gear Raincoat

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) AntiGravity Gear Raincoat

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 51 through 59 (of 59 total)
  • Author
    Mary D
    BPL Member

@hikinggranny

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge

Funny that I don't sweat inside my silnylon anorak while hiking when it's cold, wet and windy. And I do sweat a lot! I just make sure to adjust the insulation layers (if any) under the anorak so that I don't sweat heavily while moving. I pile on the layers (under the anorak) when I stop, and take them off when I start up again.

Of course I grew up in the days when there was no such thing as breathable rain gear. Maybe that's why I don't object to it. My more recent experience with Goretex and a couple of proprietary "WP-breathable" systems showed me that the main difference between the non-breathable and breathable fabrics was price and weight, and I sweated just as much in the "breathable" stuff. Your mileage may vary, and you're entitled to your opinions, but that has been my experience!

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Mary:

I completely agree with you — in regards to Goretex and the sundry proprietary wp/b garments.

But if "true" wp/b is something you want, then I highly recommend that you give either eVent or MontBell's Breeze Dry Tec garments a try. They're not miracle fabrics (bear in mind when it's warm enough, we sweat wearing just a base layer or even wearing nothing at all) — but these two really do work over a much wider temp/humidity range than the ones you mentioned up above.

Lynn Tramper

@retropump

Locale: The Antipodes of La Coruna

I decided (I dunno why, maybe this thread) to try my Packa again this weekend. Walking downhill, slight breeze, 5C/40F and after two hours I was soaked from my own perspiration (plus some from the pitzips, which wouldn't be an issue with the AGG). The really annoying thing was that, unlike with my DriDucks or eVent jacket, I couldn't dry out while just standing around, so had to wait until I could get in the tent and change my clothes, plus put on wet clothes (and wet rainjacket) the next morning. I won't do that again. Keep in mind the Packa is a poncho-style jacket that is arguably better ventilated than the AGG. But you will never know if it works for you unless you try it…

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

I've got an eVent Packa, and I love it for cool/cold wet-weather packing. I used it on the Black Forest Trail (lots of steep climbs and descents) and it worked wonderfully. I certainly was sweating on the climbs (would have been without the Packa), but it kept me warm on the chilly descents. And my shirt dried out on the flats. Wore it the entire day.

Wouldn't want it on in warmer weather though. Even with the pit zips it would be way too warm.

Lynn Tramper

@retropump

"Wouldn't want it on in warmer weather though. Even with the pit zips it would be way too warm."

OT, but how do you all keep rain from dripping in through your pit zips? My (silnylon) Packa is terrible for creating wet elbows and forearms, to the extent that I'm going to remove the pitzips and seal the seams (I mostly just use it for short trips biking around town).

An eVent Packa sounds heavy! Even the silnylon one is heavy by BPL standards…

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

"The really annoying thing was that, unlike with my DriDucks or eVent jacket, I couldn't dry out while just standing around"

My Driducks and my ID eVent rain jackets are my two keepers.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

"An eVent Packa sounds heavy!"

It is heavy! About a pound. Lucky I'm not an SULer!

I haven't had a problem with rain dripping in through my pit zips. Can't really tell you why, only that it hasn't been a problem, and I've had it on in a pretty heavy downpour.

Lynn Tramper

@retropump

"it hasn't been a problem, and I've had it on in a pretty heavy downpour."

Does yours have regular zips, or are they the water-resistant type?

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Just regular zips, as far as I can tell.

Viewing 9 posts - 51 through 59 (of 59 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!