Topic

AntiGravity Gear Raincoat

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) AntiGravity Gear Raincoat

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 59 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Ok, I feel like a tool for asking about this, but does anyone have any experience with this coat?

http://www.antigravitygear.com/antigravitygear-ultralight-rain-jacket.html

I looked for reviews, but didn't see any on here. Thanks for your help!

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

I reported earlier on this item. I was looking for an extremely lightweight hooded rain jacket, and the AGG item was 4 oz, at least in Medium size. There are no pockets, for less weight.

I wasn't sure about a couple of details, so I sent an email to George asking about size. Also, the only color shown on the web site was light gray. He said that he could do one in black, which was my preference.

I received it, and it was just as advertised. Not expensive. It is sil-nylon, not the expensive fabrics.

–B.G.–

Anonymous
    Inactive

BG-Thanks for the help. I've always heard good things about AGG(Which by the way being a high up in the paintball community has it's own meaning I'd like to point out). AGG is slang for cool/baller/fly, etc.

Have you been outside in a downpour? Are you happy with it?

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

No, I have not worn it in a downpour yet, but I'm not too worried. It seems to be more waterproof than a Pertex rain jacket that I sewed myself. Yes, I am happy with it.

I have wind shells, Goretex, and everything else, but this one seemed to fit the bill at 4 oz.

–B.G.–

Jeffrey Kuchera
    BPL Member

@frankenfeet

Locale: Great Lakes

I own a squall anorak made by equinox gear. It is silnylon like the AGG jacket but is obviously different in design. The squall has always served me well as a lightweight shell for unexpected summer storms. It has always kept the rain out and seems to have a very generous silicone impregnation of the nylon fabric. I think that it makes a great warm weather shell when one is expecting minimal amounts of rain. I never pack it when the forecast calls for any significant rain or rain coupled with cold weather though. I always go with my TNF diad rain jacket instead if the forecast is ominous. So for me the squall has a very definite niche in my warm weather clothing system for those fairweather summer trips when the unexpected heavy rain might pop up. If you were looking for general commentary on silnylon rain jackets I hope I was helpful. If you were looking for specific commentary on the AGG jacket I am sorry I took up space on this page.
    Peace and trail grease, -Jeff

Konrad .
    BPL Member

@konrad1013

.nm

Mary D
    BPL Member

@hikinggranny

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge

I don't have the AGG raincoat but I have the older Brawny Gear silnylon anorak and rain pants that AGG used to sell. I'd say that AGG's jacket is a definite improvement on the anorak because you can leave the zipper open.

They work just fine for me. I did find that they had to be seam sealed, especially the seam around the hood. After a little Silnet they stood up to an hour-long test in the shower, which is the most rigorous test they've had so far. In the field I've had them mostly in brief showers.

Do remember that these are not breathable! If it's a warm rain I just leave it off and get wet. I get just as lathered inside breathable gear (an exception being Frogg Toggs). If it's cold and windy, when I want to stay dry, the Brawny Gear works just fine.

Worn over a base layer on a below-freezing night, the silnylon rain suit makes a great vapor barrier.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

I specifically asked George about sealing seams. He said that it was not necessary. Well, that is different from recommended or not recommended. I figured that I would just wear it for a while and then decide later whether to seam seal it. So far, I haven't seen the need.

–B.G.–

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

With all due respect to AGG — which makes a great, light weight aluminum pot among other things — I would highly recommend against buying a fitted jacket made with non-breathable material like silnylon!! Unless you are just sitting around in the cold — 20 minutes of hiking and you will likely begin to soak in your own sweat!

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Benjamin, who said that it was fitted?

When I first inquired, George wanted to put me into a size Large. After discussion, I chose Medium. I got it, and even that is about a half size large.

So, the idea is that a super roomy jacket like this will vent below rather than breathe through the fabric.

–B.G.–

Mary D
    BPL Member

@hikinggranny

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge

The loose jacket helps. The zipper helps, too, although I get along fine without one. I sweat just as much under "breathable" rain gear, which is heavier and costs more. That's why I went to the silnylon gear. As I stated before, if it's a warm rain I just leave it off and get wet. I had to do this with "breathable" rain gear anyway.

Bob, you might want to test your jacket in the shower. That's how I found out mine did need to be seam-sealed.

I've heard that George will make silnylon rain pants for you if you want them. I'm glad to know there are replacements available if my Brawny Gear bites the dust!

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

I did. Fitted in the sense that it is a jacket with elastic cuffs and hem — versus an open poncho. Sizing is altogether different. In any case, you don't really want to be hiking in a non-breathable jacket in the rain.

Remember the yellow rubbery raincoat that many of us wore as kids? Even if weight isn't a problem, would you hike in them, all zipped or buttoned up? Functionally speaking, silnylon is the UL version of the clammy yellow raincoat.

I agree with Mary that if it's raining but warm or fairly warm, then might as well just get wet — or use an umbrella — since one will sweat even in the most breathable jacket anyway.

But when it's cool to cold — that's where highly breathable jackets (e.g. eVent) make a difference by keeping you dry — something silnylon is unlikely to do for anything more than a short, short hike. But that's the time when you truly want to stay dry!

Jeffrey Kuchera
    BPL Member

@frankenfeet

Silnylon rain jackets fit a very particular niche in a clothing system and have very limited usability in my experience. They are basically great for getting thru the unexpected summer deluge and are good for little else. They serve the purpose when that summer thunderstorm rolls in and the temp drops and the rain starts pounding down. I do enjoy using mine in the summer when temps are fair and little rain is to be expected on a given trip as they are great lightweight insurance against that unexpected deluge. Mine stays in the pack most of the time. I couldn't imagine wearing mine for any extended period of time since it does not even feign an attempt at breathing. It is a summer storm cheater period.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Yes, a particular niche.

For me, I did not intend to be hiking many miles wearing this thing, so breathability is not an issue. I did need extreme light weight. I expect cool, drizzly weather, but not necessarily downpours. The size on mine will allow a lot of venting at the bottom.

If I wanted more or less waterproofness, I have Goretex and wind shells. I have other sil-nylon stuff that seems to work fine for me.
    –B.G.–

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

"Very particular niche in clothing systems."

Indeed. Looking at the picture, I don't see where the bottom venting is. Looks like there's an elastic band around the hem. Is there?

YMMV but I wouldn't hike more than a mile wearing a non-breathable jacket.

For about 1/3 of the price and just 1 ounce or so more in weight — those who are looking for a jacket that they can wear and hike at the same time should look into the equally fashion-challenged, but 100% rainproof and truly breathable Driducks. Having worn these on long hikes, I would rank its breathability at a tad behind the very best (eVent and Montbell) — and significantly ahead of Goretex and those others.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

"Looking at the picture, I don't see where the bottom venting is. Looks like there's an elastic band around the hem. Is there?"

As I stated previously, this (Medium) is about a half-size large on me so the whole bottom is vented. There is a very light elastic around the edge, but it is not tight on mine. That's how it ventilates adequately on me. But, if you pick a different size, you are likely to get different results.

I used to be young and hot-blooded also. Alas, I am over 40 now, and my metabolism is slowing down. So I have less sweat to get rid of.

–B.G.–

Jeffrey Kuchera
    BPL Member

@frankenfeet

Unless I am missing something the dri ducks seem to be about one third of the price of the AGG jacket.

Anyway I could not imagine paying $70 for a silnylon rain jacket. I scored my anorak for $15 or $20 and figured it would be a great summer piece. The AGG jacket for nearly $70 though? Not a chance. Toggs or Ducks would definitley start to look good if I had been faced with the $70 dollar price tag for my sil anorak. Personally I had a great experience with Frogg Togg's in the past. I just wore them out over the long haul though.

edit Don't hate me for being cheap.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Bob:

I see. Loose elastic around the bottom.

All zipped up in the rain, you may find bottom venting quite suboptimal, as heat rises, builds up, but with nowhere to go.

Not directed at you, Bob. But reading Jeff's post up above, it begs the question why the choice of silnylon — a fabric that is expensive yet fragile, not truly waterproof, and almost completely non breathable — for upper body shell clothing?

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Benjamin, if the garment had the shortcomings that you perceive from never wearing it, then why wouldn't I have seen these things myself from wearing it since the first of January?

For one thing, you seem to be calling this an expensive fabric, yet the garment was not expensive at all.

–B.G.–

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Because you don't really hike in it — from reading your post? Anyway, I am sorry I got you all defensive. I was just answering Peter's questions — that there are options out there that are fully rainproof, truly breathable, essentially similar in weight, at a fraction of the cost.

Jeffrey Kuchera
    BPL Member

@frankenfeet

I was not attempting to incite a riot either.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

No, Benjamin, you keep making statements about something that I did not say.

"Because you don't really hike in it."

I never stated that, and you drew conclusions.

My target use for this thing required extreme light weight first, and some waterproofness after that. The scale proves point number 1, and my use of it since January satisfies me about the second point. What is it with you, anyway? Do you own shares in the company that makes Dri Ducks or something?

The way that this thing fits me, I can cinch up the hood area around the face if I felt cold, or I can completely open the whole hood and neck area if I needed more top venting. So far, it works.

Geez! I'm sorry that I don't sweat as much as you think I should.
    –B.G.–

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Bob:

You wrote, "For me, I did not intend to be hiking many miles wearing this thing, so breathability is not an issue."

As you wrote, this jacket is fine for your use — but that is very much a limited use. I think for most other hikers, breathability is an issue.

You also wrote, "The way that this thing fits me, I can cinch up the hood area around the face if I felt cold, or I can completely open the whole hood and neck area if I needed more top venting. So far, it works."

Sure, but only when it's not raining.

Jeffrey Kuchera
    BPL Member

@frankenfeet

Yikes I think I'll don me riot gear now. Have fun duking it out guys I'm setting sail for a calmer thread.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

"breathability is an issue"

I'm sorry, but some of us scrawny guys just don't sweat as much as we used to.

This weekend, I intend to be ski/snowcamping, so I will likely be wearing Goretex that weighs about 6 times as much.

–B.G.–

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 59 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!