Topic

tarptent in the winter?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) tarptent in the winter?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 51 through 61 (of 61 total)
  • Author
    Misfit Mystic

@cooldrip

Locale: "Grand Canyon of the East"

My choice, if I were just going to buy something, would be an MLD TrailStar. IMO it is the most versatile single shelter I've seen; it can be pitched to the ground like a pyramid shelter, or can be pitched up like an open tarp. No zippers to freeze or jam with grit. Ron would put on as many tie-out points as you might want; a member here has had a stock version in winds around 60 mph if I recall the video correctly.

I like floorless shelters, particularly when it's raining/snowing, for a few reasons. They are easier to enter and exit typically, and I can do so without removing my shoes and shellgear. I can prevent my gear from becoming more wet and have space to dry things because the floorless shelters typically have a greater floorspace. There is plenty of room to cook; it's even possible to rig a clothesline over the stove to help dry socks and gloves. Floorless shelters allow for pitching on ground a tent floor might not be appropriate on; maybe volcanic rock or heavily rooted soil. Floorless shelters can be "dug-in" when there is a snowpack, allowing both extra headroom and a lower wind profile.

My $.02

Steven McAllister
    BPL Member

@brooklynkayak

Locale: Arizona, US

Maybe I don't know the Contrail that well, but to say it is not acceptable for 4 season camping and then stating that the following are:
    Black Diamond HiLight
    MSR Hubba Hubba HP
    seems odd?

That shows a very strong dome bias.

I can imagine the snow piling on the top of these and the poles breaking from the weight.

I can't imagine this with a Contrail as it seems to be shaped for snowfall and no pole to snap under the weight. The vertical pole design of the Contrail should take far more weight, or what am I missing.

If strength is the issue, the Contrail is built with the standard silnylon that everyone say is indestructible.

My vote is for the pyramid over a dome anytime in snow and wind.

I have seen what happens with dome shelters compared to pyramids and in every case the pyramids held out. Can't say that for most 3 season domes.

Alex Gilman
    BPL Member

@vertigo

Locale: Washington

@ Rog I have to agree that's a great tent option the only reason I'm not using it yet is I haven't made the mental switch over to trecking poles/ul yet.

@ Scott It's still a tarp, but I see where you're coming from. Peronally, I like having a floor to keep out the wetness, bugs, mice etc. After a long day of hiking in the rain I get in halfway strip jacket, pull pants halfway down sit my butt on dry floor, peel boots and remaining gear off. I store it and put on some warm wool ArcTeryx pants. It's nice to get away from it get dry and stay dry up here in the PNW. – I'm definitely curious if this will work for me with my new bivy, that's why I'm liking the Hex3 and potentially the Meta 1P.

@ Steven Hubba Hubba HP
    http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/msr_hubba_hubba_hp_tent_review.html

"While not the lightest tent available, the MSR Hubba Hubba HP may be the most well rounded, with a lot of pitching options to cut weight further if desired. Its four-season performance was the best this reviewer has ever seen in a light weight three-season tent. Some very thoughtful design elements add to the enjoyment of this strong, roomy tent." – Ray Estrella

@ Steven BD HiLight is marketed as a 4 season tent, the Contrail is not —>period<— Basing a discussion on "I can/can't imagine" clearly lacks facts. Furthermore, most of the tents sitting on everest right now are domes. I'm not a dome fanboy I'm a Nemo fanboy only 1 out of 3 tents I own is a dome but all are Nemo. I think every tent has its place.

Personally I'd rather carry the 8 extra oz of the BD HiLight and nix the 14 oz of the trekking poles. LOL – I better run hahaha jk

David Ure

@familyguy

@Steven – the Contrail has far too long an unsupported roof to take any sort of snowload in comparison to some of the other shelters mentioned.

Rog Tallbloke
    BPL Member

@tallbloke

Locale: DON'T LOOK DOWN!!

"@ Rog I have to agree that's a great tent option the only reason I'm not using it yet is I haven't made the mental switch over to trecking poles/ul yet."

Alex, I'm not a trekking pole user. My strong pole for the Hex3 is made from 3 carbon fibre golf club shafts. They get dual use as pack frame rods during the day, or come out and get jammed together as a third leg when fording rivers etc.

Steven McAllister
    BPL Member

@brooklynkayak

Locale: Arizona, US

Thanks Alex and David,

Now that I look at the slope of the roof from front to back I realize that snow can build on the Contrail. I was looking at the head on view and assumed it was shaped like my spinnshelter.
    I normally wouldn't be concerned about a large unsupported area as long as the snow can slide off.
    I know the various mid shelters out there do well in heavy snow with only one center pole, but they have steep sides.

I agree that 4 season domes can handle the snow, but they have thick heavy poles to support the weight. The cases I've seen of poles breaking were 3 season domes that were much heavier than the ultralight mids that survived wet snow or extreme wind.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

The Contrail is definitely not a "winter" shelter, that is winter with snow.
    Not that I am suggesting it but last time I looked August and September were not listed as winter months in Nome. Granted you could get snow anytime …
    Apparently August is the rainiest of months there, so maybe a shelter made with Epic is not necessarily a good choice particularly not having any vestibule at all.
    Maybe the Moment could be a good l/w choice.
    Franco

Frank Steele

@knarfster

Locale: Arizona

I have to agree with the suggestion to try the Moment. I discovered quickly I did not like the front entry of the contrail. the moment can be made even sturdier with the cross pole.

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Locale: Wisconsin

Good to see the thread back on track after some crankiness.

Lynn Tramper

@retropump

Locale: The Antipodes of La Coruna

"You may have a system of pitching the DR that works well for you, but in another thread about the DR in the wind, Henry has advised against cross-staking the vestibule. Just to play devil's advocate : )"

Having used it cross-staked in gale winds, I would strongly disagree. If you DON'T cross-stake it, you get lots of wind coming into the tent and the vestibule edge flaps frighteningly, and the vestibule bellows into the inner mesh. It also puts a lot of stress on the zipper. There's a thread on this page at the moment that shows how we pitch our DR for the unexpected "4th season", called "Double Rainbow Modifications" for those of you that don't know what is meant by "cross-staking".

Chris Mcintosh

@rutherfordmills

I think my plan will be to bring the contrail along with me and if the conditions call for it, i'll invest in another tent. I'll most likely get the black diamond. Im not really too sure what to expect when I get to Nome so I dont really want to invest too heavily in gear I might not need. However, i do know that right now theres some snow storms goin on. If anyones gonna be up in that area around august or september, hit me up! Same goes for anyone who might be in other parts of alaska after that, as i plan on extending my trip into other parts after my job is done in nome. Thanks again!

Viewing 11 posts - 51 through 61 (of 61 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!