Topic

Announcing Montana High Adventure 2010: Ultralight Backpacking for Scouts

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Scouting Backpacking Light with Scouts Announcing Montana High Adventure 2010: Ultralight Backpacking for Scouts

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Ryan Jordan
    Admin

@ryan

Locale: Central Rockies

Hello All,

I serve as Montana BSA's High Adventure Committee Chair, and I'm happy to announce that in 2010, we'll be launching the new, and nation's only, BSA High Adventure Camp dedicated to …

… you got it …

Ultralight Backpacking.

We'll be operating two sessions out of Montana this season, and each session will be open to 10 Scouts that must meet minimum age and rank requirements for BSA High Adventure.

The dates will be:

June 26 – July 3 (Sat-Sat) – Session 1
    July 15-22 (Thu-Thu) – Session 2

I will be providing much of the gear for the program (packs, shelters, sleep systems, cook systems, etc. – and all new, state of the art stuff!), as well as the core curriculum and staff training.

If you have an interest in:

1. Being a program instructor/crew leader for either the first, or both weeks (you must be a BSA-registered Adult Leader);

2. Sending a boy to this program;

Please let us know via email: [email protected]

And I'll contact you back directly.

Morgan Rucks
    BPL Member

@rucksmtr

Super Awesome.

Fred Eoff
    BPL Member

@fredeoff

Locale: Northwest

I think this is fabulous. It sometimes seems so hard to break through old attitudes for UL techniques in scouting. Kudos to you for spearheading this Ryan!

Joe Clement
    BPL Member

@skinewmexico

Locale: Southwest

How cool is that. What's it cost? Wish I knew if I could get off that time of year, I'd lead a crew or whatever.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

We never had anything like that when I was a kid!

In the scouts, the most adventurous that we ever got was to wrap a potato with foil and bake it in the campfire.

–B.G.–

Jim Colten
    BPL Member

@jcolten

Locale: MN

That is fantastic. I could almost shoehorn the first session in between our troop's annual canoe trip (which I organize) and our trip to Philmont … (sigh) I'd better not push my luck.

Best wishes on this. I'm guessing (hoping) the goal is to grow the program. If so I'll be promoting it to our guys.

Matt Lutz

@citystuckhiker

Locale: Midwest

Win. Just win.

Kelly Brent
    BPL Member

@kbrent

Locale: Central Texas

Ryan 2 sessions of 10???? Are you looking to simply develop the program the first year? This will be wildly successful and a much sought after program. I have a webelo scout. How long do we have to wait????

Thank you for staying true to Scouts. You will certain have an big influence.

Devin Montgomery
    BPL Member

@dsmontgomery

Locale: one snowball away from big trouble

That is sweet! I would have done so much more backpacking in my adolescence if my troop had done this kind of thing!

Ryan Jordan
    Admin

@ryan

Locale: Central Rockies

Information, and registration is now open for both SCOUT and SCOUT LEADER TRAINING programs at:

bsa

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!