Topic

Using Your Snow Peak 600 Mug as a Pot

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Using Your Snow Peak 600 Mug as a Pot

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

For a while, I have been using the Snow Peak Trek 700 as my solo pot and mug. I can fit my Snow Peak stove and a small fuel canister inside. While that’s certainly convenient, the pot/mug is really bigger and heavier than necessary.

The smaller and lighter Snow Peak 600 is ideal for my set up above — except it doesn’t come with a lid!

If your “cooking” is limited to boiling up to 2 cups (16 oz) of water to rehydrate your dinner and you are interested in the Snow Peak 600, then read up on an easy way to fit a lid by clicking here.

Jim Colten
    BPL Member

@jcolten

Locale: MN

Nice piece.

And here’s some variations:

1)If you bought a SafeCut side cutting can opener for making a Fosters/Hieneken can pot, it leaves the lids with a turned up edge that don’t slice fingers. That’d allow safe use of lids from tin cans for your 600ml mug.

2) For that matter, tin cans opened with the SafeCut opener make fine low cost and not too heavy lidded pots

3) Other folks have drilled a pair of small holes in the center of homemade lids and installed paper clips as something to grab when lifting. When bent the “right” way, they lay flat for storage but stand up for easy grasp.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

I love how one idea leads to another! Thanks, Jim.

Click here for a link (and picture) of a Safe Cut can opener.

Jason Klass
    BPL Member

@jasonklass

Locale: Colorado

Jim,
    Don’t the paperclips get hot?

D G
    Spectator

@dang

Locale: Pacific Northwet

Hi Jason,
    I’ve used paper clips to make lid handles.

I take a small piece of heat shrink on the portion you grab and heat it up to shrink it to the paper clip. It works really good.

Someone also mentioned that you can get paper clips that are rubber coated. Those would work good too.

upright position

bottom view

Folded for storage

John Carter

@jcarter1

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I tried this setup this summer, inserting a SnowPeak 4oz fuel canister upside-down into the cup for storage (the only way it would fit). It got so stuck that in order to remove it from the cup, I had stick the cup in a table-mounted vice grip, superglue a metal rod to the bottom of the fuel canister, and use pliers to pull hard on the rod. All the while I am imagining popping off the bottom of the canister and being shot in the belly with shrapnel.

After an hour or so of tinkering, I finally got it out. It involved warping my cup somewhat with the grip. And yes, I tried all the obvious things (WD-40, oil, hot water from the bottom, cold water from the top, etc).

So be careful when you stick your canister in the cup; it makes a near perfect seal!!

D G
    Spectator

@dang

Ha Ha Ha, that happened to me also, but not quite as bad. I was able to remove the canister with pliers, and it only took me about 10 minutes. :)

I think this will generally not happen when you stick a stove and a few items in first. I put my gigapower stove wrapped in a quarter piece of cotton bandana and then the canister. The stove inside prevents the canister from going in far enough to cause the dreaded stuck canister syndrome.

Dan

Jason Klass
    BPL Member

@jasonklass

Locale: Colorado

Nice! Thanks Dan. Is the tool dip heat resistant? I asked a guy at the hardware store about this stuff and he said it might melt.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

You guys all got me inspired and I hacked a lid from the bottom of an aluminum pie plate, but then I read Jason Klass’ web page showing some variations on this theme. I’ve been messing with beer cans so I had one of the safety can openers and it was a 2 minute deal to dig a large can out of the recycle bin and whip the end off. I don’t know the size — it’s the large size can of fruit or beans. Anyway, it sits down over the top bead of the 600 mug like a charm. I drilled a couple holes and used a handle made from one side of a binder clip:

Binder clip

To get the handle in the holes I had to bend one leg 90 degrees, rocked it into the hole and then bent it back to its original position. By tweaking the lid metal a bit, it lies flat swung one way and tilts over about 45 degrees swung over the other side– enough to grab it with a bandana, spork or twig. I guess I could put a little heat shrink tubing on it.

I like the finished-but-quick-and-dirty approach and the ability to replace it if lost of damaged. You could put a screw through a single hole in the center and just clamp a small binder clip to it. I use those binder clips for all kinds of things at work– they are great for holding bags closed, cable management, could be a clothes pin too.

I’m happy with the mug as a pot– jut enough to get a couple cups of hot water for a dehydrated dinner, plenty for oatmeal and coffee in the morning, light weight, lower cost, and small volume. I’m teaming it up with the Snowpeak Folding Ti Cup for a bowl and mug.

Thanks for the tips on *not* getting the fuel cannister stuck. If I put a Handy Wipe, a Coleman F1 stove, and a lighter in the mug first, the canister won’t go in far enough to get stuck.

This pot works perfectly with the Esbit folding stove. I got a full boil with two cups of water well before the fuel tab burned out. The folded stove fits in the cup with the fuel tabs in stored inside the stove– perfect for an overnighter. Add a little foil for a wind screen and start walkin’.

D G
    Spectator

@dang

Dale writes: “This pot works perfectly with the Esbit folding stove. I got a full boil with two cups of water well before the fuel tab burned out. The folded stove fits in the cup with the fuel tabs in stored inside the stove– perfect for an overnighter. Add a little foil for a wind screen and start walkin”

I really like the BPL Ti esbit stove. The cooking system I’ve been using with great success is:

Snow Peak 600 mug with handles removed: 2.3 oz

Foil lid (picture a few posts above) with paper clip handle 0.1 oz

BPL Ti Esbit stove 0.5 oz

BPL Ti windscreen: 0.2 oz

Total weight 3.1 oz.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!