Topic

Frogg Toggs

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Frogg Toggs

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Darren Douglas

@cutter

Locale: Eastern Kansas. Not much here.

My first need for gear is for it to get the job done, well. Then I go for inexpensive and light. So far, the only piece of equipment I am lacking is a dry but BREATHABLE rain suit that won't steal from my sons college fund. Does anyone have experience with Frogg Toggs DriDucks?

todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA

Great gear: light, keeps rain off, cheap, and breathable.

Only drawback that I've found: can snag and tear (especially driducks), but hasn't been an issue for me and I hear duct tape repairs them on the spot.

Jolly Green Giant
    BPL Member

@regultr

Locale: www.jolly-green-giant.blogspot.com

The bottom line is that it works. Most of us aren't going through thickets or rubbing them against rocks, so for hikers just out in the rain, FroggToggs/DriDucks hold up fine. Consider a ULA rainskirt if you want to save a bit on your lower half.

John Myers
    BPL Member

@dallas

Locale: North Texas

+3 on the Dri Ducks.

This is my preferred rain gear. Light, packable, breathable and also good for wind. I got mine on sale for $10 (jacket and pants) and prefer it over my $99 Marmot Precip. They are not perfect though. I find them to be oversized (I normally wear a large but mediums are almost too big) and they appear fragile although I've never torn one. Doubt they would hold up to even minimal bushwhacking.

One of the few times that my favored piece is cheaper.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

I have a pair of DriDucks, pretty much the same thing. As mentioned, not sturdy for bushwacking and sizes run BIG.

Excellent product for the price. However, if you can't use them in brush, then you might consider a poncho which can also double as a pack cover and a shelter. Talk about multi-use… one piece of equipment that can fill 3 functions.

Ross Bleakney
    BPL Member

@rossbleakney

Locale: Cascades

I consider a Propore jacket (O2, DriDucks, Drop Stoppers, Frogg Toggs, etc.) to be an ultralight staple. The only thing lighter is a poncho. You can't use a poncho as a bug shirt though, and most windshirt/poncho combinations weighs more than a Propore jacket (and cost way more).

The only drawback, as already mentioned, is fragility. You have to careful around brush. A bit of duct tape fixes it up just fine though. Eventually, if you use it a lot and go through a lot of brush, you will probably need a new one — but at that price, unless you are careless, it will cost you less over time than a laminate jacket.

I've owned O2 and DriDucks. Frogg Toggs are a bit heavier (see chart on here http://tinyurl.com/o8nh5r), but are supposed to be a little more durable. I haven't noticed much difference in performance between O2 and DriDucks. There is a bit of a difference in feel, though. The DriDucks are a bit puffier. This means they take up a little bit more room in a pack, unless you squish them (which doesn't hurt in the least). The puffier feel means they make a good pillow.

Darren Douglas

@cutter

Awesome! Thanks for your replys. I'm sold. It's definetly worth a try based off your comments.

Thomas Conly
    BPL Member

@conly

Locale: Lots of canoeing and snow

I have both Frogg Toggs and DriDucks. They both work really well. I have a precip too and I like the Frogg Toggs much better. I'd go with the Frogg Toggs. I blew the seat out of the DriDucks the first time I squated despite being carful and pulling them up. The seams of the Frogg Toggs are much more durable.

John Sixbey

@wolfeye

It would be a good idea to try Frogg Toggs on first if you can; my set ran very large. I'd estimate that getting one size smaller than usual is best.

Darren Douglas

@cutter

Will do. Thanks for the advice!

Ann Karp

@marguerite

Locale: Montana

As mentioned, Frogg Toggs run ginormous. I am positively swimming in smalls. Anyone know of somebody making something like them (cheap, waterproof) and offering some smaller options?

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi Ann, check out pre made Tyvek protective clothing–very cheap usually (like ebay or the like). I don't know the breathability or sizing as compared to F.T. or Dri Ducks though, but it's considered breathable and highly water resistant (can make it more so by spraying or soaking with a DWR treatment). Since these are made to wear over clothes, they probably run large as well, but it's worth checking out.

M B
    BPL Member

@livingontheroad

fellow showed me his dri-ducks from last summer not too long ago.
    They werent the light shiny plasticy looking ones I have
    His looked more like frogg toggs, much heavier, fuzzy finish

I dont know if they are changing names, different models now, etc but we were both surprised. I saw the bag he pulled his out of , it said driducks too.

Mine really arent all that big.

My mediums fit me fine, at 5-9, 165 lb, and a small fit my 12yo son

I have a frog toggs action-pro suit from 15 yrs ago that is an L, the jacket and pants fits me great as well.

I think there is a lot of variation between years, and models. Pretty much need to try on for sure.

They need to be somewhat loose or you will blow out a seam, its not a fashion statement.

Medium on me, @ Clingmans Dome on the ATjacket

Ryan Dorn

@fiestabuckeye

Another vote for them. They serve all of my needs.

They do run a little large from my experience, but I actually like it as I use it for an emergency outer layer during the winter over my down jacket.

M B
    BPL Member

@livingontheroad

Yep. Need to be able to wear it over all your other clothing. It is the outer layer, for me.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!