Topic

2024 Bob Marshall Wilderness Open

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips 2024 Bob Marshall Wilderness Open

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 51 total)
  • Author
    Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

The 2024 Bob Marshall Wilderness Open was announced by Dave C, is as follows:

The 2024 Open will start at 0800 MDT, Saturday May 25th at Rogers Pass, and will end at the Woods Bay FAS.   Course area is all public land in Montana.    The usual guidelines apply.

Course area is all public land in Montana.    The usual guidelines apply.

-This is not a race.

-You must be entirely self-supported and self-contained.  Take everything you need, and leave nothing behind but footprints.  Any pre-planned assistance of any kind is forbidden.

-Any form of human-powered locomotion is allowed within the identified course area.  No linear travel on the surface of paved roads.

-You are responsible for you.  Come prepared for challenging conditions which can easily, with improper luck or preparation, turn life-threatening.  Any and all contingency and emergency plans must be arranged in advance by each individual.

Anyone considering it?

Sandy Hilton
    BPL Member

@sahilton

Locale: PNW

I’m optimistic I can make it work for 2024. Either the CDT will serve as a critical portion of the route or I’d better brush up my boating skills!

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Looking at 100 miles as the crow flies, roughly 150-160 miles by foot :)

Rob
    BPL Member

@alpine_sailor

Locale: Missoula

Looks excellent! Crossing the Missions at the end will be a novel bonus

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

Very interesting. I haven’t walked the southern part of the Bob ever so this is tempting.

jscott
    BPL Member

@book

Locale: Northern California

“Looking at 100 miles as the crow flies, roughly 150-160 miles by foot :)”

and since I don’t have wings…

always love following this on line. Remarkable adventures!

Scott Emmens
    BPL Member

@multisportscott

Hello from New Zealand, bit far for me to travel for this mission but I am a keen follower. I have tried to locate the finish point “Woods Bay FAS” using Google and what I came up with doesn’t feel right. Can someone provide with with further information please? Lucky I’m not considering signing up eh? Can’t even find the finish point, thanks in advance, Scott

Sandy Hilton
    BPL Member

@sahilton

Locale: PNW

Scott, I believe the finish is: 48.00068, -114.06469

Scott Emmens
    BPL Member

@multisportscott

Thanks Sandy

That is where I got when I Googled it. Just seemed a little too built up

Thanks again for coming back to me, I appreciate it

Tom M
    BPL Member

@twofeathers

Locale: Kalispell

The finish on this one will be extremely tricky to keep within the confines of the rules.

Michael Gillenwater
    BPL Member

@mwgillenwater

Locale: Seattle area

Or one could just ignore that rule and do whatever seems fun (and not illegal).

Tom M
    BPL Member

@twofeathers

What rule are you hoping to “ignore” Micheal?

Michael Gillenwater
    BPL Member

@mwgillenwater

Locale: Seattle area

staying in the course boundaries

Tom M
    BPL Member

@twofeathers

Hahaha are you planning on leaving the state..

the rule I’m referring to is “No linear travel on the surface of paved roads.”

MMC
    BPL Member

@mmc

Speaking of following rules, can any Montana residents confirm if a Recreational Use License is required hiking/camping on state trust land?

The site below says yes, but it doesn’t look like an official state gov website.

https://discoveringmontana.com/state-forests/swan-river/ (https://discoveringmontana.com/state-forests/swan-river/)

Tom M
    BPL Member

@twofeathers

Hey Tim,

You are suppose to have a use permit for recreation on state land. https://fwp.mt.gov/buyandapply/statelandsrecreation

Just a heads up there is currently a logging operation in full swing on the back side of swan lake in direct line to what i would assume everyone’s path over the swan range would be.

There is no camping and almost no parking at the finish. It can get super congested with people and vehicles trying to load and unload boats especially on the holiday weekend.

MMC
    BPL Member

@mmc

Tom

I appreciate the insight from a local. Not just about the permitting, but the conditions along the route as well. Especially the Swan Range

Max E
    BPL Member

@maxevans32

Long time listener, first time caller. For those in that part of the state, how are snow conditions looking and any predictions for runoff this year? We are bone dry on this side of the divide. Weighing options in terms of route selection. . . any and all will require a big foot race at the start. I look forward to it

Tyler J
    BPL Member

@mnjones

I won’t be making it back this year, but will be watching it avidly, and probably planning routes just for kicks. 2025 is calling my name though.

Rob
    BPL Member

@alpine_sailor

Locale: Missoula

Tom, do you know the name of the timber job? I’d like to find some info about where it is and how big it is? Or you could just tell me :)

Scott G
    BPL Member

@sgrimm

I’m Gonna try and make it back this year. Just glanced at a map but Looks like the CDT right off the start is appealing accept that it is all ridgeline high altitude stuff. With the lack of snow that could work this year if the trend continues. Otherwise i don’t see many options off the start except heading west on 200 for a ways and hop up some logging roads.

I’ll look closer for sure. If anyone is seeing a better route i’d be all ears.

Bill K
    BPL Member

@offtraildog

Generalized snow report from Whitefish

It has been a warm spring for the entire flathead valley with warm temps much earlier this year than normal. We typically have 2′ of snow on our roof in April and all the snow had melted off the roof before the end of March.

Was at Polebridge April 12th .. coverage of the western facing slopes is roughly 50% of normal based on comparison photos of the peaks around Bowman

The last 4 weeks of skiing (alpine and XC) were lousy.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

East of the Divide is roughly sitting at 45% of normal.  A cursory peek (via sat images) at the Bob Complex shows almost all snow gone below 5500′.  Badger Pass is at 28″, the lowest I can ever recall before May 1.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Just a note on the start.  John and Andrew were up there yesterday and it’s a trailhead, no campground.  They thought a person could probably get away w/ camping in a vehicle-sounds like the trailhead is decent sized and has an outhouse.  Alice Ck is ~ 10 miles from the trailhead and evidently has a lot of decent dispersed camping sites.  John thought there might be other camping possibilities a little closer on Forest Service, again dispersed.

John N
    BPL Member

@airlocksniffer

Just got around to checking the distance on the map – 14 miles from Rogers Pass TH to the public land up Alice Creek Road.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 51 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!