Topic

Camping fuel in Tajikistan

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Camping fuel in Tajikistan

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    Lym Dis

@warble

Hi all,

I am going to Tajikistan in Central Asia, and will be backpacking in the Fann Mountains for a few weeks. I noticed from the forums that several people have been in the 'stans, and i was wondering what fuel options are available for camping stoves? My default choice is kerosene, on grounds of availability, but is it possible to get either alcohol or gas canisters in Central Asia? Thanks in advance for any thoughts,

Regards,

Peter

Vick Hines

@vickrhines

Locale: Central Texas

Consider a simple wood stove to burn dried dung chips. That's the local practice. You can make one from a coffee can with strategic holes punched top and bottom when you need it. Alcohol is hard to come by because religious law keeps even denatured alky in short supply. Kerosene and diesel fuel are always available.

wax wax

@wax

nm

Rog Tallbloke
    BPL Member

@tallbloke

Locale: DON'T LOOK DOWN!!

Which is the best multifuel stove for diesel and kerosene? MSR XGK or Primus omni?

slavenya slavenya
    BPL Member

@slavenya

Locale: Israel

You should look also at Optimus Nova

Lym Dis

@warble

Thanks for the comments – wood is an option i hadn't really considered, and may be feasible in the valleys, but don't think it will work higher up – no vegetation. Still, I have read some interesting articles on here about the BushBuddy, so may have to give that some serious thought.

Previous experience in the Himalaya and Karakoram suggests that kerosene is available almost everywhere – a big advantage. I've always used an MSR Whisperlite for this, which works fine but is heavy. I guess the XGK is the really bomber multi-fuel stove, though.

I saw a comment on an earlier thread about the 'stans that suggested that gas canisters may be available in some places. I was interested, because I think this would be a lighter option. However, I've also heard tales of gas canisters being (partially) refilled with water in South America – not something I want to find out 3 days into a 2 week trip.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

> MSR XGK or Primus omni?
    Both are fairly reliable … and noisy.

But I would strongly recommend against trying to use diesel – it only sort-of works and does make a mess of the stove.

Cheers

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

Personally I prefer the MSR Dragonfly over the other stoves mentioned, this after trying them.

The Dragonfly will simmer on any fuel FAR better than the others. Simmering saves heavy, precious fuel. Plus, if you get tired of freeze-dried food you can always bake Bisquick or local flour & yeast breads and cakes with that simmner feature and an aluminized fiberglass baking "yurt" shaped pot cover by "OutBack Oven". It used to be made by "Traveling Light" but now I think Cascade Designs owns it. Get the pot handle/aneroid thermometer that the company also sells. It eliminates temperature setting guesswork when baking.

Eric

Christopher Holden
    BPL Member

@back2basics

Locale: Southeast USA

Are the other multifuel stoves as loud as the Dragonfly? I really liked the simmer, but peace of the backcountry is easily violated by the sound of the jet engine, aka Dragonfly. The Simmerlite is much quieter, but does not have the fuel options of the others.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

> Are the other multifuel stoves as loud as the Dragonfly?
    Obviously, if you think the Dragonfly is loud, you have never heard an MSR XGK running at full bore. OBVIOUSLY!

Rog Tallbloke
    BPL Member

@tallbloke

Roger: I did wonder about the viability of diesel, but when needs must as they say…

Has anyone ever tried to get a pressure stove to run on vegetable oil?

Aha! http://www.bioenergylists.org/en/servalshybrid

Not exactly UL though!

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Hi Rog

I think the point which should be remembered is that kero is very widely used in remote areas (Tajikstan qualifies, as does Nepal, in my books) for heating, cooking and lighting. Diesel may be used where there are roads, but I would think it would not be as widespread as kero. So in general … if you can find any liquid fuels then kero should be available.

As for the vegetable oil burner … what they have there looks like a steam reformer to break the oil down to lower-order hydrocarbons before it gets burnt. Ye Gods! I admire the ingenuity, but don't want to try it myself!

Cheers
    Roger

Rog Tallbloke
    BPL Member

@tallbloke

The Brits taught India all about steam in the C19th :-)

It's not as if the thin water capillary is going to generate enough pressure to cause any big problem. If it saves 30% of the kero, it's pretty impressive. Overall efficiency is 59%, which is as good as my 2oz volcano kettle. Bet it doesn't boil 2 cups any quicker though, I'm down to 3 1/2 minutes on 13g fuel now!

David Marle
    BPL Member

@dmarleuk

Locale: Close to the Lake District

Hi there,
    I have hiked a bit in Russia, the Stans and the Caucasus. When I was in Kyrgyzstan I took a small alcohol stove and an Optimus Crux. There are camping shops in Bishkek that sell cartridges and trekking companies have cartridges that they sell at inflated prices. They also refill cartridges – I stood well back while they were doing mine. Are you flying in to Dushanbe?

You can buy alcohol everywhere – I found it last year out in the Sayans, Altai and Elbrus region as well as Azerbaijain and Georgia and Armenia the year before. It is hard to find in Moscow as apparently some people have been drinking it!
    I haven't trekked in the Fansky mountains (maybe next year).
    Look for ethanol in the chemists or ask for speert (spirit).
    If you have time the trekking in Kyrgyzstan is great.
    David

Lym Dis

@warble

Hi David,

Flying into Tashkent – its cheaper and quicker from London, and transport to the Fanns (via Samarkhand) is much quicker too. Only problem is OVIR registration, which threatens to be a complete pain.

Interested to hear that both alcohol and gas canisters may be available – particularly the former. Will have a look in Samarkhand. Are the gas canisters threaded Lindal valves? Alos, I'm not sure at what point the weight equation tips against gas canisters – I seem to remember a thread on here that discussed it, but can't find it now.

Kyrgyzstan does look tempting – I guess another trip is on the cards.

Thanks everyone for the helpful and interesting responses,

Peter

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

> I'm not sure at what point the weight equation tips against gas canisters
    It doesn't. It tips against alcohol fairly quickly though.

Lym Dis

@warble

Thanks Roger – was there a thread about this, and/or is there a table showing the pro's and con's of alcohol versus gas (and, ideally, kerosene or white gas)

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Hi Peter

It is not a BPL URL, but one I maintain myself:
    http://www.bushwalking.org.au/FAQ/FAQ_Efficiency.htm
    Other pages in the stove section may also be of interest.

Cheers

Rog Tallbloke
    BPL Member

@tallbloke

> It tips against alcohol fairly quickly though

Yeah yeah, but it's so much more fun :o)

Anyway, depends how efficient your alcohol setup is. I'm doing a cup (8 U.S fluid oz) with 6g of fuel in a 1oz kettle now.

It's cheaper and quieter than canisters too.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

> Anyway, depends how efficient your alcohol setup is. I'm doing a cup (8 U.S fluid oz) with 6g of fuel in a 1oz kettle now.

Hum. So for two cups you would need 12 g of fuel, right?
    I can boil slightly over two cups of water with about 8 g of canister fuel. I do this regularly when making morning tea on both day walks and longer walks. No special care needed.

> It's cheaper and quieter than canisters too.
    Yeah, true. But my wife LIKES the sound of the gas stove purring away: it says 'Food is coming'!

Of course, there are those who regard anything quieter than an XGK as wimpey. :-)

All sorts.

Rog Tallbloke
    BPL Member

@tallbloke

Sure. And the empty canister weighs what? And the stove weighs…. considerably more than the 4g my alcohol stove does. But I'm not here for a UL argument, versatility is the name of the game on this thread. :-)

David Marle
    BPL Member

@dmarleuk

Locale: Close to the Lake District

Hi Peter,
    Sorry for the delay replying (wandering abroad for the summer). The cartridges are the screw type. I actually had two filled in Tashkent that I took through the Fergana and into Kyrgyzstan. I asked at tour agencies for trekking guides and after a few phone calls had the address of a guy who would fill the cartridges for me. A short taxi ride later – and slightly amazed – I had both cartridges filled!
    If it is quiet at sunset you can bribe the guard to let you climb the minaret for amazing views. The twice weekly market at Urgut near Samarkand is interesting and Shakhrisabz is worth a visit. Shahr-i-Zindah is out of the centre but defintely worth the walk.
    David
    Look forward to hearing about the trek. There is a Russian 1:100000 map of the region (in Russian)- Fanskie Gori – that you can pick up in Tashkent. Mine is 1991, not sure if there is a newer one.

johannes Eichstaedt
    BPL Member

@nonbeing

Hi Peter,

i just wanted to second what David said – i picked up threaded gas canisters in Bishkek as well, they worked like a charm on my trek (through the Tien Shan range). I simply looked up the trekking companies in the lonely planet, picked what I thought would be the largest and then took a cab there, waved with some money and a little later held two somewhat rusty refilled gas canisters in my hands.

And yes, the Kyrgyztan trek was lovely – best of luck to you!

johannes

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!