Topic

Lunar Solo or TT ProTrail?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Lunar Solo or TT ProTrail?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    David Thompson
    Spectator

@dthompson2634

I'm looking to replace my Sierra Flashlight with something much lighter. I really want a tarp tent style shelter under 30 ounces. I'm just under 6 foot tall and pretty thin so I don't need anything abnormal size wise. I'm looking at both and really leaning towards the Lunar Solo now. What are the pros and cons? I've never used anything other than a standard tent. I really like the side entry of the Lunar Solo. Any other shelters I should be looking at? I'm really wanting to stay in the $250 and under range (seam sealed).

bjc
    BPL Member

@bj-clark-2-2

Locale: Colorado

Lunar solo is great little tent. I have used it a lot. It's taller than most 1p tents, and lots of floor space. Two caveats: I often have to look harder for adequate space to pitch as the footprint is wide, and I added an extra couple of feet of line to the guy outs straps to allow for slightly higher pitch or to balance side heights on slanted surfaces. It is a really quick pitch once you have your site. Love the side entry and plenty of room for gear inside and the vestibule is large as well. I am 6'1" and 185. I can't speak to the Protrail but I do have a cuben Yama Mountain 1p Cirriform double wall which is similar. Don't love the front entry, but I do like the more volume around my head when in the tent. I plan on using it on the AT next spring. The footprint will hopefully make it easier to find places to pitch.

Mike Bozman
    Spectator

@myarmisonfire

Locale: BC

I have had a Lunar Solo for a while now. No complaints at all about it. If price is a concern, the last couple of years Six Moon Designs has had a sale near the end of the year. Some of the shelters were up to 50% off.

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

I did not enjoy the front entry on my Contrail.

Scott Kilcoyne
    BPL Member

@scottx

Locale: Indianapolis

I just recently got a ProTrail and I love it. I have only ever had front entry shelters so maybe I don't know of the luxury a side entry one gives but I am 'young and fit' so a front entry has never bothered me. The entry on the ProTrail is fairly large so its easy to get in and out, plus, the interior height is the most at the front. You can position the trekking pole at an angle to get it out of the way which makes it better. Weights are basically the same. So I guess it really comes down to rather or not you want side or front.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

There are advantages and disadvantages with each design and that is why most manufacturers make both front and side entry tents. A couple of good points for the Pro Trail : ProTrail because the high point is above the head when sleeping you have less chance of your breath condensing on the fly, particularly if you keep the air flow going (360 degree mesh and large rear vent for that…) It can be left at least partially open under mild rain including some wind driven rain from the side or rear. BTW, the Contrail was/is used by folk well over 6', the ProTrail has more foot room . This is a real time ProTrail set up : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4lLF6l-5BPs (yes in ideal conditions and I had already set it up TWICE before shooting the clip…) BTW, the price and weight of the ProTaril includes stakes. As for seam sealing , TT can do it for you ($30) BUT for $6 you can get the seam sealing kit and do it yourself. You really need to do only the ridge seam, that is a straight seam that can be done with the tent on the floor if you have no room to set it up. (I do the door panel seams and all the tie out points, there is no expertise involved doing those either…)

David Thompson
    Spectator

@dthompson2634

Choice didn't get any easier lol. I love how easy both seem to setup. If I can catch a Lunar Solo for close to half off then I'll go that route. I do like the idea of more head room on the TT.

Mike W
    BPL Member

@skopeo

Locale: British Columbia

If you are looking for a side entry shelter you should also look at the TarpTent Notch. A bit more cost but worth it. I still think it's the most cleverly designed 1 person tent that Henry has come up with. Sets up really easily with only 4 pegs, two side doors with vestibules and tons of head room. It's also a double wall shelter which I prefer but it is still in the same weight class as the Protrail and Lunar Solo. I can't comment on the Protrail but I have used a Lunar Solo and while it has a good overhead height on paper, I found that because it only uses one trekking pole for setup, the roof angles down from the pole and you lose a lot of overhead space. I found I had to hug the pole to sit up without hitting the fabric. Other than that, it's a very nice shelter as well but I prefer the two pole setup that the Notch allows (much more space to sit up in) and the fact that I have a door on both sides (one for gear storage and one for entry).

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!