Topic

Bear Attack in the Rockies

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Editor’s Roundtable Bear Attack in the Rockies

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Ryan Jordan
    Admin

@ryan

Locale: Central Rockies

Companion forum thread to: Bear Attack in the Rockies

HkNewman
    BPL Member

@hknewman

Locale: The West is (still) the Best

Guessing prior users left dirty camps and the bear for habituated and curious. Had a nocturnal visit a little over a year ago when a claw reached under my vestibule during my Maroon Bells trip (Aspen CO) . There's bear spray (or whatever), … but when resting flat, a biped human justs feel so vulnerable. Maybe a camera or iPhone flash??

Anonymous
    Inactive

Where in sw Colorado was this?

David Ure

@familyguy

Wow Anne – thanks for sharing this experience and it is fantastic that you are okay. Best,

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

Locale: Minnesota

N/A

John Coyle
    Spectator

@brows

Locale: Northern California

I read somewhere, I think it was BPL, about a portable, lightweight electric bear fence that a person could string around their camp, but I don't know if that would have worked in this situation. Surprising that a black bear would do this. I have seen several black bears here in Northern California, and they have all turned around and ran away in horror after viewing my ugly face. As for me, I consider the drive to the trailhead the most dangerous part of my backpacking journey.

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

#ERROR!

Cas Berentsen
    BPL Member

@p9qx

Did your dreams survive as well?

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

>"I read somewhere, I think it was BPL, about a portable, lightweight electric bear fence that a person could string around their camp" BPLer Peter Vacco has pondered about such a set up but for polar bears in the far north. We've emailed back and forth a bit about it. I don't know of any off-the-shelf solution, although there are "portable" units I've seen used in the Alps to contain grazing sheep and cows in an area for awhile before moving them to another area. But it looked to be a lead-acid battery combined with solar panels. And, since it might have some drainage of current through wet grass stems, etc, and there would be cloudy days, the battery was oversized, I'm sure. And the length of wire was much longer than you'd need in a camp. It was maybe 30 pounds for the whole set-up. I imagined striping out the low-DC to high-voltage circuit, waterproofing it, and using a similar voltage lithium battery pack of smaller capacity and greatly reduced weight. I suspect you could get it down to 3 pounds or so by scavenging those existing bits. A unit purpose built for UL backpacking could be far lighter, but there's no big market for it. I've seen electric fences used for black bears in the Yosemite backcountry around CCC camps. Well, actually, around the cook's cabin tent with the food in it. And I've seen almost all the campers at the Brook's Camp (in Katmai National Park) cowering inside the electrical fence the NPS installed around the camper's food cache shed. Almost all because my in-laws were outside the fence, yelling at the grizzly to move it along. I hung back from the front lines because I had our 5-month-old in the chest carrier. But all those were in fixed locations, using existing livestock electric fences without any regard for weight. I then, as I reread this, I thought, "I should google it again to be sure". And, yup, there's a UDAP version, $225 at Cabela's, 3.7 pounds, apparently with 6 fiberglass stakes and clips to hold the included wire. One review describes it taking a long time to set up. "Runs continuously for approximately five weeks on two D batteries." so it would go many nights on two lithium AA (and be better to lower temperatures. I'd guess you could swap batteries, trim wire lengths, settle for a smaller area, etc, and get the weight down to 2.5, maybe 2 pounds if you went CF on the stakes or relied on local wood and bushes.

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

The UDAP has been around for at least 10ish years. They were recommended around that time by a rafting guide after the Huffman deaths in ANWR. http://www.nationalgeographic.com/adventure/0510/whats_new/anwr_grizzly_attacks.html "Thompson, the river guide who found the Huffmans' campsite, believes that a floorless tent, an electric fence, and a loaded pistol (that doesn't need to be cocked) might help future campers. "I never take bear food canisters," he said. "If the bear is hungry, he might get ticked off. It's no big deal for him to eat my food instead of me. Some guys stack pots on their food bags so that if a bear comes into camp, the pots fall off and wake them up.""

David Lorenz
    BPL Member

@nuclearwinter

Locale: Northern Utah

I built my own for far less that $225. But the most weight comes from the charger and batteries–size D. It allows you to sleep well knowing you are "safer". The main drawback is you must have a good ground and/or run a hot and neutral (ground) ribbon. By the time you add 1inch ribbon, fiberglass poles, clips, grounding rod, and charger with batteries, I doubt you would be anywhere close to 2lbs. Especially if you are like me and want this to be bomb proof–the weight far exceeds the purchase cost.

Buck Nelson
    BPL Member

@colter

Locale: Alaska

I'm glad Anne is OK. I sure did enjoy her book about her thru-hike of the PCT. This attack, like the ANWR attack, are "black swan" events. The difference is not in what the people did, but in how a very rare "crazy" bear behaved. I think in both of those situations people did "everything right." That ANWR bear tried to chase down the next boat that came along as well. Both bears were therefore repeat offenders and would almost certainly have gotten into trouble again had they not been shot. What are not Black Swan events are bears getting at unattended or poorly secured food or tearing up unattended gear. On my multi-week trip to Admiralty Island, the "Fortress of the Bears," I used a UDAP electric bear fence to prevent bears from smashing my unattended base camp while I was away in spike camps or just gone for the day. I know a guy who's unattended plane was torn up by a bear, that would be another good application for an electric fence. Personally, I'd never carry an electric fence for backpacking, too heavy and time consuming to set up properly and too unlikely to be needed from a personal safety perspective.

john b
    Spectator

@mrgadgets

Hiking on the CDT in Montana I was tracked by a large brown bear and the trail crossed a waist deep stream and he stopped tracking me.

Sam Farrington
    BPL Member

@scfhome

Locale: Chocorua NH, USA

I’ve met plenty of bears in Maine (Black Bears), Grizzlies (Canadian Rockies) and even in my back yard bordering on the White Mtn National Forest.  None of them threatened me, but I did tiptoe away from the Grizzlies and backed far away from them while they played with my gear and explored the pack (had been setting up the tent.)   Also had a blond bear run alongside my car while travelling north on the highway toward Walden, Colorado.  Spoke with a Forester, who assured me it was a seldom seen blond version of a black bear, not a grizzly.  That made sense, because a hump was not evident.

Since the Canada event, have avoided areas known to harbor grizzlies; but none of these many bears threatened me, let alone attacked.  So am wondering how our experiences could vary so much.  I do carry my food double bagged and on a shelf on top of the pack, and after dinner, hung up on a high branch on a tree far away from the campsite.  Have also left weekly food caches hung up that way and also double wrapped and clipped in Op Sacs in the kevlar sacks that are always used for hanging or carrying the wrapped food on the pack shelf, the thought being to keep food odors out of the pack.

My best guess is that somehow food or cosmetic odors got onto you or into some article of your gear, but am still stymied by your attack.  But bears can detect odors far better than we can, so it is a mystery.  Or it may be that in recent years I’ve hiked with three generations of a couple of sheepdogs.  In any case, congratulations on surviving your experience.  Survival skills come in many forms.

YoPrawn
    Spectator

@johan-river

Locale: Cascadia

That’s one heck of a thread bump! LOL

Nothing is ever 100%.

My dad was attacked by a black bear in Washington State in the 60’s. Luckily he had a gun and got lucky with one shot that took out its lungs and hip, letting my dad escape. Bear had a tumor in its head making it crazy.

I slept on that bear as a child. Comfy critter! :)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!