Topic

1 lb 700 fill down quilt at Costco. $20

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Commerce Gear Deals 1 lb 700 fill down quilt at Costco. $20

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 109 total)
  • Author
    Matt Allen
    BPL Member

@zeroforhire

the guys at Hancock forums are going crazy over these. I picked up 2 to make a summer hammock under quilt. Nylon shelled. Sewn through baffles. Pretty nice for $20. Queen sized. In store only. Here is the link on hammock forums with more details. https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=114817

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

Thanks Matt. I need to check that out.

Matt Allen
    BPL Member

@zeroforhire

they aren't at every Costco yet. There were a bunch at my local Everett, WA Costco by the main entrance.

Jordo _99
    BPL Member

@jordo_99

Locale: Nebraska

Interesting idea…for the money/quilt that's a solid summer quilt with just a bit of modding (or not): Unfortunately, I don't see how it could be used for 3 seasons..it should be good to ~50F but not much under that: — 6.5oz shells — 6.5sqft of fabric for it (two 70×60" shells–estimating a 1oz shell) — 9.5oz of 700FP down my down calculator puts that at roughly 1.75" (50F) of loft

Ryan Smith
    BPL Member

@violentgreen

Locale: East TN

Yeah, with all those sewn through seams it's only good to about 50F. Be good for a late Spring or early Fall item at that price. Ryan

jscott
    BPL Member

@book

Locale: Northern California

I may want one for my bed at home. And for winter trips to Tahoe when I want an extra blanket at a motel. Oh, and as part of a day pack when I'm back country skiing (plus my super light bivy.)

Matthew Turner
    BPL Member

@annex138

If it's the same ones I picked up at Costco last weekend, they are a good deal from the price but are a little small. They are labeled as down throws and measure 70"x60". The ones a got are definitely not queen sized. They are light and awesome for $20. I picked up a few to maybe try making a under quilt and maybe try to modify one into some type of 50* quilt. They also work good on the couch at home.

Yuri R
    BPL Member

@yazon

Just checked San Diego shops and none have them. Said had some about a month ago, but all are gone and the item itself is deleted form the system, meaning they won't get them any time soon. However, a new, similar but not the same down throw should be coming at a higher price in the future ($25) – no date on arrival.

Matthew Turner
    BPL Member

@annex138

Not all stores have them. I checked the Fontana store and they did not have any but the San Bernardino had a ton of them. Costcos are weird like that. I have been on the look out for the cheap carbon fiber trekking poles I keep reading about but still haven't seen them in any of the stores around me.

Earl Gilbert
    Spectator

@egilbe

All I need is a Costco in my area :(

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

A climbing partner brough me up a few This isnt some ultra lofty, UL down quilt Basically it has a somewhat heavier shell, has some down and is somewhat light The distribution of the down in the sewing might be slightly off in some places Its worth 20 yankee dollahs … Makes for a great piece for those times when you dont care if you destroy it or it gets stolen … Around the campfire, on the porch or a car blanket … i dun own any tasty delicious dawgs … but for you dawg folks, i suspect its one you can cover the pooch with and not worry about destroying $$$$ gear ;)

J R
    Spectator

@jringeorgia

Picked up one of these and agree with descriptions above, looks like could become a good, lightweight, and dirt cheap summer quilt. Should work with a channel along one short edge to draw it closed for the foot, and some snaps or loops along the two long edges to keep it wrapped around you. I can picture it in my head but I have the sewing skills of, well, a tree stump. Anyone modded one of these yet? Pics? Tips? Unmodded pic: Costco $20 quilt Edge-on to see loft: Edge-on to see loft Comes rolled up in this cardboard tube: packaging

Aaron Sorensen
    BPL Member

@awsorensen

Locale: South of Forester Pass

Do a straight taper 40" up from the footbox and 10" in for a 40" footbox. Then take those 2 cut pieces and sew them together for an additional 10" to add (sew) to the bottom. For someone 6' you need an 82-83" length quilt to work. So the extra 10" will work for someone up to 6'.

J R
    Spectator

@jringeorgia

Thanks Aaron, that definitely sounds like the right way to do it, I just don't have the skill or confidence to cut into the original quilt, only (maybe) able to just sew a seam or two or add some loops.

jscott
    BPL Member

@book

Locale: Northern California

That's a pretty skinny looking quilt..but I'm not used to quilts. I still want one. Reminds me somehow of lasagna.

Yuri R
    BPL Member

@yazon

At least in San Diego I've found some in stock at a local costco. Had probably 40-50 of them

JP
    BPL Member

@jpovs-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2

Locale: Arrowhead

Picked up four of them. One for my dad, a coworker, the couch and or sitting around fires, another for the car trunk in emergencies. While I was using it, I couldn't help think about what could be the inhumane practice that may have been used on these birds to get the price down to $20 for a quilt. Just some speculation, but something I considered.

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

While I was using it, I couldn't help think about what could be the inhumane practice that may have been used on these birds to get the price down to $20 for a quilt. Just some speculation, but something I considered. Itll be duck down from china … Which means that tasty BBQ duck ended up in a fellow AZNs belly …. The dont raise ducks there for down … Its a byproduct of the food industry Damn now im V HUNGRAY !!! ;)

Aaron Sorensen
    BPL Member

@awsorensen

Locale: South of Forester Pass

Sssshhhhhhhh Don't tell the wife. These will be an item for sell as soon as I get a bag finished up. Quilt style single layer only with 3 snaps on the bottom and 1 at the top for enclosures. Plus a draw cord on top and bottom. I do not want to take an order away from someone ordering a cottage quilt. These are more for an added 10-15 degrees to a bag or quilt or if it's really hot were you live and this just happens to be what you want. .quilt

Kevin Babione
    BPL Member

@kbabione

Locale: Pennsylvania

Damn! That's an impressive pile. I felt funny buying two of them…I bought them as car camping hammock top quilts, although there are loops in the corners that would make them work as underquilts as well with a suspension of some kind. Maybe I need to pick up a couple more!

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

My climbing partner is bringing us up moah of em from murica ;)

Cayenne Redmonk
    BPL Member

@redmonk

Locale: Greater California Ecosystem

moah aWesome tang eVAR !!! shRED ur geeeeeer,

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

moah aWesome tang eVAR !!! shRED ur geeeeeer, i look forward to you posting a review of this quilt which you obviously own … after all you wouldnt be trolling on the gear deals forum on our kinder and nicer BPL would you now :)

M Ch
    Spectator

@budeny

Got one in Colorado and used for Grand Canyon backpacking trip – it worked fine as summer blanket. Except 70" is too short, so I got couple more of them and plan to cut one blanket and add 10-15" to others, also will add clip buttons and strings. IMO, great deal and now I can return that $170 BA Kings Canyon UL Quilt

Jennifer W
    BPL Member

@tothetrail

Locale: So. Cal.

Plenty are available at the Westlake Village, CA Costco. These will also be great for stuffing in my bag for red eye flights.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 109 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!