Topic

If not PossumDown Beanie, then what?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) If not PossumDown Beanie, then what?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 26 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    Jaime Ondrusek

@jondru

Locale: Puget Sound

I think many Americans don't realize (and maybe the reverse is true for the Aussies and Kiwis?) that the possum that is the source of "possum down" is not at all related to the one we know in North America.

Our local possum, the Virginia Opossum is much more a "snarly beast" than the Common Brushtail Possum which is wrecking the NZ forests.

Here's the Virginia Opossum: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Opossum_with_grapes.jpg

Here's the Brushtail: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Brushtail-possum-in-Brisbane.jpg

vv
    J.O.

Kathleen B

@rosierabbit

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Thanks for the clarification, Jaime! However, I think if anyone asked who won the possum beauty contest, the answer would have to be "no one."

I wore my beanie (without propeller) and gloves on Saturday in 16-22 degree light snow while skiing the Iron Goat Trail near Stevens Pass in Washington. The beanie kept my head warm, and the gloves with waterproof overmitts were much warmer than my previous arrangement. I did have to put on my primaloft mitts after lunch when the temperature started dropping, but overall, I am very happy with them.

George Matthews
    BPL Member

@gmatthews

Like rosierabbit my beanie kept my head warm, but for me it was in light rain above freezing in the afternoon. I had gotten it wet from perspiration in the morning, and it was a bit damp already.

Looks like it will keep a noggin toasty, but you probably need a hat or hood too if the temps are going to drop below freezing and its damp.

Viewing 3 posts - 26 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools