Topic

Sawtooth Mountains – Grand Sawtooth Loop

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning Sawtooth Mountains – Grand Sawtooth Loop

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Jim C
    BPL Member

@jimothy

Locale: Georgia, USA

I am planning a 6-night trip to the Sawtooths in Idaho, around the week of August 24. We'll be taking the Grand Sawtooth Loop, with is 63 mies plus opportunities to tack on some extra miles; I hope to do around 70-80 miles, though how our legs are feeling.

I've got two questions for those familiar with the area:

1. In late August, how much of a problem should we expect mosquitos to be this year? I've read that they are usually no longer a problem after mid-August. My plan is to bring with us to Idaho the gear we need for mosquito projection (mainly, long pants and long sleeve shirts), and speak with locals to get a read on things, so we'll be prepared, but I hope we'll be able to leave the extra gear below.

2. Aside from Observation Peak, are there peaks along or near the Loop that we can reasonably reach with a class 2 or 3 scramble?

Jim C
    BPL Member

@jimothy

My dates for this hike are August 23-29. We will be starting and ending at Grandjean. Now that it's a bit closer, I thought I'd resurrect this thread to see if folks familiar with this hike or the Sawtooths in general might be able to chime in about a few things (two from above, plus another):

1. During that week, what should I expect in terms of mosquitos and other pests?

2. Do you have any recommendations for peaks reachable via a class 2-3 climb? I'm looking at Alpine Peak (near Sawtooth Lake, class 2) and Mount Everly (southwest corner of the loop, class 3). I'd like to get in at least one, maybe three, depending on how much progress we're making and how our legs are feeling. We're coming from Georgia (the state), and most of our hiking takes place in the Southeast, so this loop might beat up our legs. :)

3. Is there any reason we would not be able to use an alcohol stove? I assume that won't be a problem, and will verify with the rangers, but I figured I'd check here so we can plan accordingly.

Jim C
    BPL Member

@jimothy

One more question: Bear spray, yay or nay? My fiancée is a little paranoid about bears, so we'll probably bring one canister, unless someone can definitively suggest a) the one is not necessary, b) that the place is crawling with bears and we're better off bringing two if we ever want to make it out alive. I doubt b) is the case. ;)

Mark G
    Spectator

@high_campyahoo-com

How did the trip go?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!