Topic

Need advise on 5 days in the Rae Lakes, 60 Lakes Basin, Lake Relfection area with daughter.

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning Need advise on 5 days in the Rae Lakes, 60 Lakes Basin, Lake Relfection area with daughter.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    daniel B
    Spectator

@dbogey

Locale: East Coast

Will be taking my 18yr old daughter out to the Sierra's in mid august. We'll be heading over Kearsarge on Tuesday and come back out Saturday (5 full days with the option of going into Sunday) . I have two itineraries I'm thinking of:

1. first night at the outlet of lake 3321 in Kearsarge Lakes
    2. second night in the East Lake/Lake reflection area
    3. third night – Do I retrace steps back to Charlotte Lake or go over pass into Vidette lakes ( how difficult is the pass into Vidette Lakes)
    4. fourth night at Matlock Lake

OR

1. first night at the outlet of lake 3321 in Kearsarge Lakes
    2. second night dragon lake in Rae Lakes
    3. third night 60 Lake Basin
    4. fourth night Charlotte Lake

Trying to get a great 5 day vacation with her before she heads off to the University of Pittsburgh!

Lori P
    BPL Member

@lori999

Locale: Central Valley

I am supposing you mean Deerhorn Saddle? Secor has very little to say about it other than it's class 2. I haven't been over it myself. It appears to be a steep scree slog on Google Earth. Is it worth it? I suppose that depends on how much you love scree.

Lake Reflection is gorgeous, so are all the lakes near Rae Lakes. That's a hard call to make. If you want something less athletic the second option sounds nice. If you're fishing, 60 Lakes is fishless.

USA Duane Hall
    BPL Member

@hikerduane

Locale: Extreme northern Sierra Nevada

Sixty Lakes Basin to me was more about seeing faint, old trail. Not much there, might be pretty early in the season with green grass and flowers. I found an old trail in there, so that was neat. Have to consult a map on which lake I left from to get into the basin. I had hiked up from Woods Crossing that AM, maybe the second lake up from the Crossing, headed south, you may have to scout a tiny bit, or go off of the contours on your map for the easy way in, there was a use trail, although some rock had rolled onto the trail. Fish and eat all you can at the Rae Lakes, they have too many fish.
    Duane

Dave G
    BPL Member

@dapperdave

I've read a few trip reports which included traversing Deerhorn Saddle, a few by very experienced folks, none have come anywhere close to a recommendation…

Dave

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!